Any ideas on how to get it to bloom

toms river, NJ

Have had this sinningia for a number of years. Started as a cutting and have a couple of them. Produced a good sized tuber but only bloomed once (last summer when it was outside on vacation). Recently cut it back hoping to encourage bloom.
Any thoughts on getting it bloom more frequently would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Thumbnail by dggardenerguy Thumbnail by dggardenerguy Thumbnail by dggardenerguy
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi Jim,
I am not sure which one that is,but I would recommend high light,regular feeding and good humidity if possible.
Lynn

toms river, NJ

Lynn,
Thanks for your response - guess what you recommended is what it was getting when outside and blooming. Trying to duplicate it inside here. Don't have much experience with sinningia so was hoping for some magic tricks.
Regards,
JIm

I would try it right under some fluorescent lights or in a sunny window.That and regular feeding are the best tricks I know.Repotting could help if it has been a long time.
Lynn

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Jim, that tuber looks awesome! I like the foliage too, soft and hairy. Some hardier sinningias need full sun to bloom so chances are yours will rebloom given the sunniest spot possible. I would repot it too. What color the flowers are?

Good luck,
Maria

toms river, NJ

Maria,
Flowers are red/lavender if I remember correctly. I agree it should probably be repotted. Had purchased a couple of the heavey plastic bonsai pots and just had to use them but probably doesn't allow enough soil for the large tuber and roots.

toms river, NJ

Lynn,
Looks very much like S. Reitzii.
Thanks

You're welcome.If it is Reitzii it needs really strong light to bloom.Mine sits a couple of inches under lights.

toms river, NJ

Finally it's blooming. Outside now and seems to like the extra light/humidity.

Thumbnail by dggardenerguy

Yay! Looks a lot like Reitzi. Sorry for the awful picture.

Thumbnail by lbrabec
toms river, NJ

Hi Lynn,
Not certain it's Reitzi. It has no peduncles (hasn't had any yet).
Take a look at http://www.burwur.net/sinns/4rtzMain.htm.
It compares Reitzi to S. 'Black Hill'.

I couldn't get the link to open.I really don't think it's Reitizi,because of the foliage.I don't think my flowers have spots either.

Does yours have red stems like Blackhills?

This message was edited Aug 22, 2013 10:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.