Very Fist Blooming Clem. in the Season

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi to all my Clematis fans. Let's share our blooming clematises for this coming spring. Here is my evergreen Armandii clem. announces that Spring is almost here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1. Armandii clematis in bloom.
2. Saucer Magnolia
3. Camellia

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love them all, Kim. Keep the photos coming. We, in the north, need to see blooms!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Arlene, down South too, I'm having cabin fever. I'm so ready for gardening season to begin. Though, not in full swing yet. Last year this time, we've had an early spring. As you can see some of my early Tulips were vibrant on March 4th 2012. Currently most of the tulips are just poking their noses through the ground, however.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

So vibrant! They'll show off in time but not yet. It felt like such a long, gray winter!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My first Clematis of this year ... I forgot the name ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

others coming real soon ...

Thumbnail by drthor

Good job, drthor! Keep supplying us with photos! It's been cold here.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo, good going drthor. The pink one does look like my "Asao" clem. I lost that one due to heavy shade. She used to be one of my earliest one to bloom in the season for hybrid clem. Arlene, hope the weather will warm up soon there for you. Even down here we still have some 30-50'ish temp. An occasional 60-70 just to give us spring fever. lol

Right now I could use a week of spring fever, followed closely by the real thing. Winter is technically over and we all want spring.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful bloom drthor, your clematis are way ahead of mine. I've got lots of leaves and buds, but nothing blooming except armandii.

Kim and Arlene, I too wish spring was really here. Tomorrow and Tuesday, our daytime temps won't even get out of the 40's, and we'll be again below freezing for the next 3 nights. We've also had a lot of rain the last 3 days, which I am thankful for. I hope it means we won't have a prolonged drout like we've had the last few years.

I looked back at the posts for 2011 and 2012, and my plants were much farther ahead in their growth and bloom cycle. The bulbs were just about done blooming, and the clematis, lilies, and irises were blooming at this time. Oh well, it just means we'll have an extended bloom season. Annette

Athens, PA

Love the pictures - It gives me hope.

I checked and last year on 3/25, my scilla were up and gorgeous with lots of blue flowers. This year they haven't even poked their heads through yet. I also see where a few of my crocus have gotten brave, but many are still not flowering yet.

At least the sun is out this morning - I find the constant grey skies so depressing.

Sometimes it's fun to check the dates the clem's have bloomed in previous years. It's a surprise when they bloom early and disappointing when the bloom is poor and late. Looking forward is always good. Let's hope the snow we're about to get will disappear fast. It will not hurt the clem's. I had them blooming in the snow in late 1995, much to the amazement of our former neighbor out here, Dorothy, who told me "Clematises don't grow here - we tried them". When I asked her where she bought them she replied, "Michigan Bulb Company". I know some people say they've had success with that company but the Garden Watchdog tells some very sad tales.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think my first one will be Daniel Deronda, he is ready to pop, hope the comming 30 deg. on Wedn. will not harm him. Common Spring....

Thumbnail by kiseta
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

More no-name Clematis are blooming in my garden ... so pretty !

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great blooms drthor. Wooohooo, I've seen lot more clematis buds popping up. But not quite ready to open. Common spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.