Growing Clematis from Seed

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Has anyone done this? I have some seeds for Crispa and another one called Sugar Bowl.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Timeinabottle (John) has done it successfully but I haven't.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't know how long the established plants have been in the yard, but we put in clematis as small plants, and it seemed to take forever (at least 3 years) for them to produce blooms. I guess this is redundant if you are already growing clematis, and have the growing experience. I will never grow from small starts again. Only a gardener with lots of patience and hope can confidently grow such small plants.

Pirl (above) has an amazing amount of patience and experience with clematis and a few other plants that are also amond my favorites.

Marcia

Thanks, Marcia, but my patience wears thin with some clematis that never should have been sold (by a big name company). They were definitely inferior and I've had a total of two flowers from two plants in four years. Any other plant would have doubled or tripled in size but these clematises just sit and sulk while newer clematis additions grow and flower so well.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Such a disappointment. So many of your plants are not just beautiful, but they are also beautifully displayed and trellised.

The other day a lovely catalog with beautiful photos crossed my desk. After I picked out the loveliest plants, Garden Watchdog helped make the decision. It almost seems like the nicer the catalog, the worse the reputation. Or else the plants are so overpriced they become unaffordable.

Thank you, Marcia.

So true! I think that may be the catalog where I got the dud clematises. So many places that used to be wonderful now send horrid plants. The overpricing is too annoying since we can get wonderful clematises from so many reliable firms at much more reasonable prices. The shipping some charge is astounding and often keeps me from ordering anything.

The collage shows a 'Blue Light' clematis from two companies. I left the name of the company off the one on the left. The other one was from Garden Crossings and you can see how beautifully it bloomed for me the following year. What chances do you think the wimpy one would have had to bloom like the GC one? Anyone comparing the roots would be sure the wimpy one was cheap but...

then look at the second one I posted showing the price (then) at $9.95! The wimpy one was $18.95. It's all so hard to believe. Then the horrid companies wonder why their business dropped off and they get negative reviews on Garden Watchdog.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.