Ideas for canopy tree for cornus kousa 'wolf eyes'

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 7b)

I started an island bean shaped dog memorial garden bed 2 years ago with a Wolf Eyes dogwood as the focal point. Since I live in zone 8a in the Pacific Northwest I thought my new tree would be fine in the full sun, but it does get a bit of leaf scorch and leaf curl in the summer months. Flowering is not too great yet and I have yet to see the red berries- I'm attributing this to the fact that it is young in my yard still (but tree is 7 ft tall) and the full sun spot it is in. I have it in southern exposure with no other trees within 10 yards. I'm thinking placing another tree to the south of it would give it some shade- any suggestions? Loamy well draining soil slightly on the acidic side- I want the new tree to go well visually with the dogwood and since it's an island bed I don't want to have a tree with a gigantic spread- at least at the base. I was thinking of a evergreen magnolia (dwarf) for scent and multiple season interest but it has more of a pyramidal shape.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Unfortunately 'Wolf Eyes' burns here in August when it gets dry. Even in very shady locations, they can show burn whenever they get sun. If it were me, with that exposure, I'd probably look at something like Albizia to dapple the sun but can take the heat/sun. I'd imagine you're not looking for something that gets big so finding a tree that is already decent height that doesn't get huge is more about availability in the market. I'd also take a look for Clerodendrum trichotomum as it has later season accents. You might want to contact Colvos Creek Nursery http://www.colvoscreeknursery.com/ even if it is a ways from you, as some of the material they carry is unique and may fit well. Otherwise they could give you some good leads and more-than-likely give you some good suggestions.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Exposure is so tricky on these beautiful plants.
I've erred too much on the shade side, sacrificing bloom.
I also had a beautiful cultivar ('Snowboy') die of what I presumed was fungus promoted by it's too shady exposure. It's foliage was so beautiful I didn't care about lack of bloom.
I've heard sunburning lessens as the tree matures, which might be worth considering.
I agree w/ Growin about selecting a tree which provides light shade.
Gleditsea may have it's faults, but provides light shade.
Conversely, a more dense tree but with a narrow silhouette might also work (fastigiate hornbeam?).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

A thought - Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53848/
That'd be very contrasty. Probably get a good sized one for a decent price and it's locally available.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm hoping that as the tree gets older, it does grow out of the toasty leaves. Here's a pic of where it is in my yard- the fence is bordering my southern property line. I'm thinking of extending the bed behind the dogwood which is where I'd plant the other tree. I'm getting more fond of the idea of a dwarf or reg. size southern magnolia- cool leaf contrast, blooms different times and the white if the magnolia bloom would echo the white variegation of the dogwood leaf. Plus magnolias don't get super tall (40 ft x 20ft is pretty close to lifetime max) and the leaves stick around in winter.

Thumbnail by swedishchef Thumbnail by swedishchef

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.