Potted oregano rescuehelp!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I have taken on the rescue of my sister's potted greek oregano and much of it is brown, dried stems. I started trimming them, but there are just too many. Should I just cut the whole thing back to an inch or two? Will it come back? And will the green parts at the ends of the stems root--if so, should I root them in water or soil?
Also, would repotting into a slightly larger container with fresh soil help? I pulled it out to inspect the soil, and there are many more roots than soil, so it dries out too fast.
My sister's neighbor had it, as she had more space to overwinter it indoors, but she got impatient with all the brown, dropping leaves, and I found it outside in very cold weather!
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Treat it like you would treat any weed. It will always fill the pot with roots- trim a few back, add soil to the bottom of the pot, are the top stems where broen soft or brittle? Brittle is dead, but an inch is a bit short. Its just now spring so it may recover without any other problems,

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree with the above advice (less the weed part). And it's very cold-hardy (to zone 4) so it will most likely bounce back.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks! It's still cold and snowy here, so I'll keep it indoors for awhile longer. The bottoms of most of the stems are brown and brittle, so I'm hoping to be able to root the green stem ends.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

If they are still green and alive you probably can take those as cuttings and root them when the weather gets alot warmer (summer).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.