What's blooming and growing - March 2013

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

New day, new month, new thread!
March comes in like a lion, right?

We are coming from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297088/#axzz2MJO6BKVS

Please share your photos and chat with us!

S. Batik

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

A couple more blooming right now...

Eva
TSF-Zhizel

Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

If all of this snow we're getting is a lion then it's here lol. We have 15" not counting the drifts and snow is coming down right now :(( Maybe it will go out like a lamb and WARM UP!! ::))) Chili is on the menu here for tonight (wink)

Very nice pics!!

Connie

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Streps. Karen! I love TSF-Zhizel.

Sis,
It sounds like a lion to me.Brrr.....stay warm and cozy.

Lynn

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I am loving all of the Streptocarpus !!!! Batik has to be a my favorite of the bunch.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Went to the local Garden Show today and came home with 2 new AV. I will have some pictures of them tomorrow. I could have easily bought 10 of them it sure was hard to pick which ones to get. The Vendor is in our area, he sells AV from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses. One is called Bubble Gum Charm the other is called Zoe.

Good for you Holly! I probably couldn't hold myself to less than 10!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I am going to the Phila Flower Show next week and I am sure that I can find another one or two there and the Md. Orchid Society Show next week end. I will want to pick up a new Orchid. So I will need a few $$ for those shows as well. Besides I did buy quite a few other plants for the yard and a couple of succulents today and last week at the Hbg Garden Expo I got a Pitcher Plant. I am in Plant Happy Heaven.

I am thinking about venturing in to AVs.... *gasp*
I have my eye on a couple (maybe) with my bingo prize.

Actually, I did buy one on eBay today.
I love fantasy and I love variegation....
So I bought a starter plant of Cosmic Blast.

Good choice???

Oh yes,I think so.Take a look at Celina Dark Velvet if you like red.

OK... thanks!
What I love most is red and purple combined....
That's why Cosmic Blast caught my eye.

South, TX

My little Warm Sunshine today.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

Very nice Sally.

Karen,
Celina Dark Velvet is a very deep red.

These are Emerald Love and the other is supposed to be Bishop,but I thought Bishop was pink.As you can see I am having trouble with the flowers and foliage on that plant.Too much light or too cold?
Lynn

Thumbnail by lbrabec Thumbnail by lbrabec
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Well, if I am thinking right, you got that from me. Mine isn't showing the pink like it should. I am wondering if mine has sported? My Arctic Frost has turned out to be one and is solid purple. Every now and then I will get a speck or two of white which should be completely the other way around. Pretty but not what I ordered, neither is the Bishop :( Out of all of my plants, those are the only two "sports" I have seen...so far LOL!!

Connie

It is the one from you.Something was making the center leaves turn brown on the edges (I think it was too cold) so I removed many of the center leaves.The blooms are not showing any pink at all.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Guess I will be looking for another Arctic Frost and Bishop lol I bought both of those from Linda.

Connie

Those two are Emerald Love and Bishop.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

My Emerald Love is blooming true. Yours looks like it is..??? Arctic Frost and Bishop are the only two I have that are not. I was supposed to share my A.F. with Melanie and even told her not to buy one with full intentions of sending her a baby. So glad I didn't!!

Connie

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

My E. L. blooms look just like the pic showing in the plant files here. Shoot, I think it's blooming...if it is, do you want to see a pic of mine?

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Connie you know that we would.

My Emerald Love looks like the one in FC2. Lighting may have been bad in the picture.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Yep, Emerald Love looks fine looking at a side view of the bloom. Well, I looked and don't see anymore blooms on mine for now. Sorry about Bishop. I sure wouldn't have sent it if I knew it was going to be a sport.

Melanie, what are you doing listening in on my conversations when I am talking about you??? LOL!!!! On a serious note, I am glad to see you posting and having fun with us (big grin)

Connie

What?.....I love sports!
Lynn

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm tired and worn out but have a few days to rest up and enjoy everyone here. Mom goes for testing on Wednesday, then we will see if she will even be able to have the surgery.

Until then.....Let the good times roll!! lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Meag, My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during these hard times.

So here are a few pics of the new AV that I picked up at the show on Friday. The first pic is LLG Zoe it is a bit more of a darker burgundy that this pic looks. The second is LLG Bubble Gum.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

OMG!! Another gotta have!! Zoe is awesome!! Gosh my list is getting longer, just have to figure out where the extra room is going to come from!!

Melanie

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Not blooming but growing here for me -- Alsobia Chiappas seed pod. I wonder who did such a great job pollinating it? Very slow to mature but so exiting. Thanks Jamie!!!!!!

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jamie, Thanks I never even thought of looking for a seed pod on my Alsobia. I have no idea if it would put one out but I will be watching for one.

Melanie, You may have trouble finding one. When I got home I looked up both new AV's and I couldn't find the Zoe in any of my searches including the LLG website. When it gets warmer I could send you a leaf or maybe a plant from the Vendor. It really is a beautiful plant. I especially love the new blooms before they are fully open.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

They are very pretty!! Good luck on that seed pod Maria ::)) I "played" a little and might be seeing a couple of seed pods forming on one of my A.V.s. Keeping my fingers crossed...we will see lol.

Sis, glad you like sports. Makes me feel better that I sent it to you lol. Look at your blooms and when the open a little better, you will see the part that is supposed to be pink is actually a blush color. If that pale pink wasn't there, the bloom would remind me of Irish Laughter. I do like sports. Heck, some sports have prettier blooms than the A.V. it came from. I don't think this sport is more impressive than Bishop. My A.F. blooms have died down but I see more buds forming. Blooms are huge and I will try to get a pic of that when the buds open again.

Connie

I will try and get another picture when the blooms are more open,but the buds are browning quickly.I am thinking it needs to be warmer or maybe moved to less light.

Lynn

Bristol's Tropical Sunrise
Feathered Silk

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Yum Karen.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hello group,Hope everyone's having a good day.Let me tell you how my day as gone.Some of you that knows ME,knows whats coming up.Yes just my luck.LOL.

I went to Walmart this morning, stopped in the garden,I was so surprised to see beautiful AV's! This is the first time I have ever seen them at that store .I picked out a pretty white with purple edge, popped it out of the pot to look at the roots.Nice and healthy.When I got home I took all the flowers off outside and then put it in a gallon baggie..Then I got my trusty mini microscope out and got down to business,took the plant out of the pot but left it in the bag and started looking with the microscope.BINGO,after 5 minutes or so I found soil mealies.Now the plant is my experiment plant.I read a article on the Internet about a person using a home remedy to get rid of them. I'm going to try and see if it works.I don't have anything to loss

If you don't have this mini microscope,please think about getting one.It well worth it.

Jan

Can' wait to see how your experiment comes out.Please share!

I still haven't gotten that microscope...darn....but I think I still have the link.

Sista Lynn

Jan... It's really good that you thought ahead so much to put the new plant into Baggie as soon as you arrived home!

I happened to be at Wal-Mart today as well, and ours had a table of AVs sitting right there at the entrance! I walked around the table, and they were nice enough, but since AVs aren't my first love I walked away.

Kinda glad I did!

Karen

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

My hubbie and I spent a couple of months in Florida. While we were there, I went to the Tampa AV Society show and sale. I bought some plants and one of them lost its tag between there and here. Can anyone help me identify it? I sent an email to the people listed on their site but both e-mails came back as" failed" to send. I got a gesneria pedicelaris, pink smoke episcia, petro barbata (blooming purple), a miniature AV "petite blarney" and this unknown.LOL It has deeply quilted leaves and a small white bloom coming from the leaf axis (sp)???. Thanks for any help you can give me. Lou

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

Lou,welcome back!

I will have to do some looking,but I am pretty sure it is a Gasteranthus.

Lynn

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lou, that's a neat-looking plant!

Welcome back Lou!
Hope you and your husband had a nice trip!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.