Brugmansia Australia - Autumn

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296539/

New seedling hybridised by Cestrum,Knightii x 'Old Apricot', grown by me.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Thanks so much ^_^

Please see my last comments Wayne ...what a great start to Autumn 2013 !

chrissy

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Wayne the Clementine x.noid pale lemon looks very nice I'm sure it would smell like lemon curd?????
This one of K x OA also looks great as the bloom is more relaxed and flows well
Great work

Back home now ...how exciting to see a home crossed double ...I am sure it will be a great basis for future Aussie home grown Aussie doubles, like Pink Knight etc.

I have asked Wayne to please repost those lovely blooms of his and cestrums here because we all just want to look and look, what a beautiful way to greet Autumn !

It is cool and very wet here today, we are barely scraping up a 20C after the shocker days of gross humidity and heat ! This happened last year ...wet wet Autumn.

I was in a rush this morning, so I couldn't ooooh and ahhh over the beaut new Brug kids aren't they wonderful ?
Congrats again !

chrissy

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thank you for your comments.

Here is a seedling hybridised by Cestrum and grown by me.
Knightii x 'Old Apricot'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

'Clementine' x noid (DM1)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

'Clementine' x noid (DM2)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

The above 'Clementine' seedlings are from a batch of 15. So far three have bloomed. I will post DM3 once it colours up... looking like a miniature pink triple.
So far all have a scent between lemon and 'Clementine'.

Merino, Australia

Wonderful blooms Wayne, congratulations.
I love the Clementine kids
Jean.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Wayne, the Knightii x OA is very attractive as are the 2 Clementines.....
The one that is so like Clementine is beautiful.
How many of the Clementine x noid seeds did you grow out?

Congratulations on all three....
Cestrum, well done if you're looking in.....

I think that you are right, Chrissy...it looks like a great Autumn coming up.

Dianne.

Here we go, here we go, here we go ^_^

Roll on March and the Dance of the Brugs ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8At8zfh_o3E

chrissy

Thumbnail by
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thank you again for your comments.
Here is seedling no 3 from 15 plants.
'Clementine' x noid (DM3).

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

As above...

OMG Wayne ...these need to do into the data base ! if you haven't time let me know and I will do it for you.

Don't forget everyone ...all of your seedling results should go into the data base (the good, the bad and the ugly) as it helps everyone.
Open pollinated does not discount it, just as long as you know the pod parent.

After that, if they progress ...and you think it worthy you can go further ...I will explain how a bit later for anyone who does not know how to do this, I think most of us do.

Wayne these are outstanding results, looks to me like Mia Culpa may be a proud daddy ^_^

It's still very wet and cold here brrrr !

chrissy

Oops in my excitement I forgot to say ...CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!

chrissy

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Remarkably lovely, Wayne can't wait for the rest of them to flower.....
You must be so chuffed....taking the time and effort to grow out noids, even though they had Clementine as a pod parent..
There was always a risk that they would follow C's initial flowering behaviour....
Alistair must be stoked as well.

Jean, get your nose out of those Broms, I know that you are in there...Colleen must be in there too.
Dianne.

Merino, Australia

I am here , Dianne. I peeped in just quickly while on my way to enjoy a sunny day that was not over hot.
I now have 13 of my brugs in the ground and may do a few more. I am sure they will do well under and around the ash tree. .
Lots of 2 & 3 year old seedlings still to Y and flower .
The coldies are still looking good too. They have done so well to survive the hot summer.

FFA is rivalling GHA in height now.
I will let him go in hope of seeing a flower or two then cut them both back to a reasonable height.
No good having flowers way up there where I can hardly see them or smell them.

Wayne that last seedling (no 3) is such a pretty frou frou of thing.
Looks like orange fairy floss..
I may have to sneak in and steal it...lol

Jean.

Those Broms are pretty to look at but they bite ! ouchy !

Well so much for working outside ...wind and rain again. I will repot some of the newer seedlings in on the enclosed verandah, I am hoping we get a bit more warmish (not hot) days in order to allow our newest babies to grow good roots for the Winter survival.

It's blowing quite a bit, gusts and rain. Some of the blooms are hanging on quite well.
Oh well.

Jean are you sure you aren't cutting off the flowering wood ? that could be why you aren't seeing blooms, why don't you leave them be for a few months, some of these plants like to be tall in order to flower. Look at the second picture those blooms are up above the 6ft fence. I don't cut them back much, only dead wood.

chrissy

West of Brisbane, Australia

Terrific blooms there, Wayne: well done :-)

Just dropping by on an infrequent visit ... Like Mya, I'm not growing any more brugs. Lost too many to the munchers during two wet seasons, and now to the dry although this just happens to be a rainy week. Just don't have the time anymore to water all the brugs every second day in the heat, nor the inclination as it's become a burden--really depressing to see the drooping brugs when other plants are all standing erect and healthy with the same level of moisture. And the insects! No time to pick them off and I refuse to spray poison thru my garden. Plus, the garden has just become overgrown with straggly brugs with no more room for other plants that I'd like to grow. So I've already started the culling and will do more during autumn when time allows. If I could rewind the clock back a few years (if only!), I wouldn't waste my time crossing my own singles to each other. Sure, I've gotten a couple of pretty singles (two of my Golden Butter seedlings) plus Pink Sweetie from Alistair, but I've wasted all that time and effort (and energy I no longer have) on producing 99% of ordinary single brugs. I should have followed my instincts and just bought seeds from overseas doubles and THEN cross-bred some of those back to the local singles. Still, I've gotten what I wanted which was some coloured doubles. My work is done!

Just want to set the record straight on one of my brugs: Big Floppy Apricot is definitely NOT Joli x Angels Flight. How do I know? Because the seedling labelled Color Point x Apricot Queen has had its first and only flower in 4 years and it was a funny little double white (no time for pics). A small narrow flower like my Phan. x SSpot and it was too high to sniff for fragrance, but nothing at all like any of my three BFA seedlings. So I'm convinced that BFA crosses (all three of them, as they were all so similar) are in fact CP x AQ so if you have seeds of BFA you might want to amend your records to show that they are CP x AQ. Whether this means that this double white seedling mislabelled CP x AQ is in fact J x AF I don't know.

Gotta go and don't know when I'll log in again, so happy gardening to you all.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thank you Chrissy, Dianne and Jean for your kind comments. I hope these 'Clementine' x noid plants retain their initial prettiness...

DM3 is much like 'Coral Reef' in colour. If CR is the parent, then the bee that did the deed certainly had a long flight - CR is at the opposite end of the block to 'Clementine'! Who knows? 'Mea Culpa' is nearby, so maybe.
There are twelve more seedlings in this batch, so maybe a couple more unusual forms will emerge.

Here are some pics of 'Coral Reef' taken today.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Sorry Cestrum, I missed your note when uploading the pics. Good to hear from you. I hope you like your double white posted here. All best in your garden. Do keep in touch - we have lots of "Cestrum" here at "Flora"! :)

Wayne, I am flabbagastered at such results that you have from this cross.
I would love to be in line for this one.
The color is amazing and the triple is worth the wait I'm very sure.
Every one involved including the bees have done you and clementine justice if I may say.

Now it's time to work on our quads or better if possible.

This is what I'm waiting for my self a few beauties that I have created and not just imported but I'm working on both, I just don't have a real goal on what my breeding is about at this moment. I am working on aurea x.aurea to find the ultimate aurea x. Variety but it could be a few mor months before I see any blooms on them but I have time and still young LOL,

Cestrum, sorry to hear that you have given up on the brug trail, but I do know your frustration as I had been growing them for more then 25 years and only meet another grower in 2005 which was Alistair but didn't confiscate with home in any detail other then buying from him. while there was a 10 year drought here in melbourne i was under attack by no water and insects for years.
in 2008 i was starting to let my plants die when they wanted and i was not going to worry about it, then in late 2010 I was on face book and a beautiful lady found me as my plants were being posted on there she told me about Dave's garden and BGI since then I have not looked back
THANK YOU CHRISSY

I have found many like minded friends & college

Cestrum thank for the help & memories

Awwwww cestrum, I am so very sorry to hear what has happened to your Brugs ...yes they are a lot of work if you have more then a few choice ones you can baby in pots, like you, I refuse to use poison and like you, it is awfully disheartening to watch the
munchers, to worry about too much water, or too little water, too cold or too hot ...if you ever get the urge again just sing out and we will send more.

We miss you very much, but I totally understand. Please pop in from time to time just to look out for your seedlings coming into bloom in our gardens, you are everywhere in my garden, as Wayne said.

Congratulations on the Knightii crosses ! you should be very proud ! You did it ! I couldn't ...I tried and tried ! so you are amazing.

Hugs and Cuddles chrissy x x

Shaun it was an absolute pleasure ^_^,

If I was hit by a bus tomorrow, and popped off this mortal coil, then I am very happy and satisfied with all that has been achieved by everyone here, even the ones that made a long journey with us, and have now gone for whatever reason.

In the beginning I just talked to myself for a long while ...then one by one, we drew out the people who secretly loved these plants, and the new adventurers ...it's been a total dream for me, and we now know that the future of Brugs in Australia is guaranteed !

Just look at the blooms that are coming along right now ...WOW everyone !

I think of them like most rare plants, yes they need a lot of care under certain circumstances, but as I have found they are almost carefree in the right place. It's the same with many precious plants really, it's just that these ones take up so much space, so it is much more noticeable.
The ones down in my jungle are sporting huge flushes and I haven't touched them for two or three years ...guess they are happy there.

chrissy.

Merino, Australia

Chrissy. I've not cut any wood at all. . I was just saying that I will after FFA and GHA bloom.
They are way too tall to keep that way. . Most of the others have not been cut at all except for Opale Etoile who was badly attacked by mites 2 years ago . I thought it best to cut her down a bit , but she has grown back .
GHA , of course, has to have a haircut every now and then . Thinks he has to tower over everyone.
Brugs are just slower here than elsewhere.
Probably because they have to grow hard as I dont have much sheltered space.
They may be slow. but all are looking good, so I live in hope of a mad flush from them all together one day.
Jean.

Ok, I misunderstood Jean (too excited I guess!) ...I thought you had been chopping things back a lot. Hopefully Autumn will see a huge Brug Parade for you ...they love it !

chrissy ^_^

Cestrum you probably won't get to see this, but all 3 of my Joli x Charlestons have been white doubles..
So I think that you could be pretty sure that your's is a Joli x Charleston....
Thank you for Topsy......here he is.
Good luck in all your endeavours in the future....
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Good morning everyone ...it's cold and it's wet, green petal tips tease ! ^_^

chrissy

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

'Adele Essex" doing well in our garden.

Ahhhhhh ...feasting my eyes on your beautiful pictures Wayne !

it's all too beautiful !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJzcF0v1eOE

•♥•.¸✽¸.•♥•.¸✽¸•♥•.¸✽¸•♥•.¸✽ ✫ ✫
(⁀‵⁀,) ✫ ✫ ✫
.`⋎´✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°
┊┊☆┊┊★┊┊☆┊┊★┊☆┊┊★┊┊☆┊┊★┊┊☆┊┊★

Wayne your garden must be smelling like a perfume boutique at this time with all of those beautiful new blooms and the older trusted & true plants that you have there
Congrats on this Clementine x.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thanks Chrissy and Shaun. Despite the rain, the garden is full of bloom. I am looking forward to misty autumn pre-dawn mornings - when the air is full of brug perfume.

barmera, Australia

Wayne so much beauty. Congratulations on the new babies. Will try to get back with what's going on here. Chrissy and Shaun I haven't forgotten Golden Memories just have heaps going on. Colleen

Hi Colleen, glad you are feeling a bit better, aren't these new Brugs beautiful ?
What a journey we will have this year ...

Can't wait to see what blooms next in everyone's garden !.

chrissy

Hi Colleen its been a while I hope all is well with you there in SA and how has the weather been 4 you there has it been desaterous just like Melbourne ?

As Chrissy said there are many new brug babies coming throw from all over the country now so I hope that your seedlings are doing great also

Hi Brug nuts !

look what I found this morning ! ^_^

cestrum ...finally your double is making it's debut ...I hope the weather will allow me to see it's beauty, so far it's skirt is fully dropped by the look of things, nice leaves ...stood up to the awful wind and rain, the day will be hot and steamy so I hope all will be well with it. I really was very thrilled to see that bud when it formed, I was so worried it would fall off in all the rain, lost one but nipped the tip off this one and it was saved.

Very petite. Looks like it will be a real cutie (now to go into the ground after the bloom finishes)

chrissy

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 10:34 AM

Well Autumn shows it's face big time here ... ♪♪♪Oh baby baby it's a Wild World ♪♪♪

Looking down into the jungle from my balcony (second level).

You can see why the snakes are happy in there, time for the big hack ...now the weather is cooling.Pity in a way because I love the wildness of it.

chrissy

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Can't wait to see all your lovelies Jean ! :-)

chrissy

Thumbnail by

Chrissy, that double of ?Cestrum? Is a very well formed and developed double with color coming throw very early, can't wait to see the depth of color on this one !

Jean great to hear that the plants are being earthed and they really do take off don't they.

I don't have all the interesting plants that you guys do but I will post a few of mine soon. But I do have many seedlings coming throw from my own crosses and OS so I'm excited to see what I can add to the mix in the Australian collection. I am doing a lot of work with my aurea's so that should be interesting to.
On my new plant Tantra x.aurea(form) aka: 'Custard Beauty' has a very interesting seed pod which I have not noticed before I will post soon also

Sprayed yesterday and I now think I may have the mites under control I am spraying weekly as the mite cycle is 10 day and I was spraying every 2 weeks which ment I was always on the back foot. I do love my new battery powered back pack it saves me like 1/2 the time and no sore arms from pumping that pressure arm on the older ones.
Jean if your had it with the back pack I would invest in this product I would recommend it 100%

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 12:17 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.