Ostrich Fern in Container?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I've purchased an ostrich fern which I've always wanted. Except last fall the power company came thru and took away all my shade in the backyard.

I'm wondering if this giant will tolerate being in a container? I'd have to keep it up on the front porch in the shade methinks.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Amanda in NC

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Should be fine if you keep it watered regularly. I moved 3 ostrich ferns to a big container last summer after they struggled for years under the trees (drought will always favor the trees). They flourished and put out a few new plants as well.

Then we went to Okinawa for two weeks in July and the watering wasn't enough so they were set back. Hopefully they will return as good as they did last year.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Things are greening up here and should get this into a container soon so it can stretch itself out. :)

Taylorsville, KY

I too put several in a container last summer and they did very well.....I just didn't have any place to put them so, as an afterthought sort of, I put them in a container on my patio. I liked the effect so well that I plan on doing it again this year--with more thought put into it.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

They have the potential to become very large, so I am going to plop this one plant into a giant glazed ceramic pot that has been wanting something since last year and see how it does. With so little shade in the summer it may well have to come up onto my front porch!

I could underplant it with some other shade lovers. Maybe some heuchera to keep the native effect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.