Moon Gardening Calendar March 2013

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Here is the Moon Calendar, first is the Farmer's Almanac for March.

I continue with the one I use, the Biodynamic system.
One of the element in Biodynamic, is the planting calendar, which has to do with the cosmic timing of activities in the garden, much of the timing for work to be carried out according to the biodynamic system is to do with the movement of the moon through the Zodiac.

March 2013

1st-2nd Excellent Time For Planting Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now And For Starting edbeds.Good Days For Transplanting.

3rd-5th Poor Planting Days.

6th-7th Any Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Do Well.

8th-10th A Barren Period, Best Suited For Killing Pests. Do Plowing And Cultivating.

11th-12th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops. Fine For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants.

13th-15th Cultivate And Spray, Do General Farm Work, But No Planting.

16th-17th Favorable For Planting Crops Bearing Yield Above The Ground.

18th-19th Seeds Planted Now Tend To Rot In The Ground.

20th-22nd Best Planting Days For Aboveground Crops, Especially Peas, Beans, Cucumbers And Squash Where Climate Is Suitable. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

23rd-26thA Most Barren Period, Best For Killing Plant Pests Or Doing Chores Around The Farm.

27th-28th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Fine For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

29th-30th Excellent Time For Planting Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now And For Starting Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

31St Poor Planting Day.

Biodynamic Moon Zodiac Calendar March 2013

March 1st.

Root day
Sign Virgo
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Carrots, Chives, Garlic. Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 2 - 3

Flower day
Sign Libra
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants: Broccoli. Do not sow Root plants: Carrots, Chives, Garlic, Leeks, Onions.

Sidereal:
Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius = Flowering Plants

Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Use flower days for planting / cultivating Broccoli, Cauliflowers ( although these will do better in a Water sign). Globe Artichokes, bulbs and flowers, flowering herbs (eg Angelica, Borage, Camomile, Lavander, Wormwood.), flowering hedges, flowering trees (eg Lilac), also if you want flowering bulbs and corms ....
Elderflower and all Flowering Plants.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 4 - 5

Leaf day
Sign Scorpio
Moon Last quarter, Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes, Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots,Chives...

Sidereal
Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Cristina ~ I have a question. Today, March 2nd is a Flower day. However the moon is waning. I am digging a new shade bed as the plants in their current location get too much sun during the summer, as well as being exposed to the deer browising. The new shade bed will be in the enclosed garden area, which before was just weeds.

I would like to know if I should dig the plants now. If I do, should they be transferred to pots until the moon is waxing in a Flower sign?

Thank you.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2013 1:06 PM

Warrenton, VA

And, I have another question for you, dear Cristina. Looks like it will be awhile before I get my new trees, but should be within the next two weeks, so again, PLEASE advise as to when they should go into the ground, and thank you so very much! You are a dear!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evelyn Hi!. the next Flower days will be March 10th and 11th, but I would wait until the following one the 20th and 21st right on the better moon for your flowers not only the sign but also the moon also.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Gracie for ornamental trees the 22 and 23 of March, If they are flower the 20th or 21st if they are fruit, the 24, 25, or 26.

Quote from cristina :
Evelyn Hi!. the next Flower days will be March 10th and 11th, but I would wait until the following one, the 20th and 21st right on the better moon for your flowers not only the sign but also the moon also.

I was thinking the same thing. So I just worked on digging out the clay and putting amendments into the beds as the soil was pefect for digging. Now it is raining, so I will concentrate on indoor chores. Once I have the quilt completed, I can concentrate on sowing seeds....

I hope the weather will be nice on the flower days...in the waxing moon, of course.

(Sorry, my fingers have been hurting...)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 11:58 AM

Warrenton, VA

Alright Cristina, I bought one Bracken's Brown Beauty Magnolia (bit white blooms in Spring and occasionally throughout Summer), three Nellie R. Stevens Hollies (they bear red berries from their tiny blossoms in Spring), and one Maple tree (A male so no blooms, just Fall color). So may I ask what day would be best for the landscape place to come out with all of them and throw 'em in their new home? Again, I really do thank you for your help.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Gracye of course the 21st and the 22nd. in the meantime if you have dry weather prepare the hole with plenty organic material and compost if you have any and Happy Magnificent trees!

Warrenton, VA

Thank you so very kindly! I am paying for the planting, so let them have ALL THE FUN, I say...LOL! Must save back for the veggie garden. Dry weather? It is early March here in Virginia, and this means that March throws all sorts of nasty wet weather our way, and then calms down...I am looking at the little white flags that the landscapers put in our lawn where the trees will soon go, and think fondly of some SHADE. We lost some big trees to foul weather this past year, you see.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

LEAF are associated with the water constellations (Pisces, Scorpio, Cancer).
When you plant in a Water sign, the Moon's influence / energy is channeled into the leaves. This are considered to be the most productive signs, even more so than Earth signs.

Choose leaf days for salads, leaf herbs (mint,basil), Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Cornsalad or Mâche, Dill, Endive, Kale, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, spinach, Swiss Chard, also cauliflower and leeks, as well as grass or non flowering hedges

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Gracye: If I were you, I would be right there watching the people planting those trees. No one will do it as well as you would. It's not their trees--so they won't care as much as you do.

Cristina: I need to re-pot some house plants. It seems like you mentioned that somewhere above, but I can't find it. When would be the best days through March to re-pot house plants?

Also, I want to take some cuttings of some Perlargoniums. When would be the best days in March to take the cuttings?

Thanks so much for your knowledge and time to write this stuff down and answer our questions..

Warrenton, VA

birder17-totally agree with you. And I WILL be out there. I like to throw in some Hollytone and other stuff like Epsom Salts sometimes with whatever I am planting. And I surely agree that Cristina is a total jewel.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

birder, this is what I said:

I also want to take some cuttings this year from my Lavender shrubs. Any suggestions here?
Answer: In the first or second quarter of the waxing moon, take cuttings from plants you wish to propagate also better on a earth sign or a water sign will do .

I am adding this now: March 10 and 11 you got one of the best water sign Pisces on a flower day: perfect!

The Pelargonium as well will root well at the same date

Once the cuttings are rooted, pot in the first or second quarter of the waxing moon, if they are Flower on Flower day, Ornamental on Leaf day etc.

what about fertilizing house plants.
Answer: Fertilize when the moon is waning, (when the earth is inhaling) and ideally on a leaf-day.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 6 - 7

Fruit day
Sign Sagittarius
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only. No sowing.Weeding and harvest. Maintenance on your compost heap or build a new one.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants like Broad Beans, Cucumber. Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages.

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Good time to plant onion sets and bulbs.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

cristina: Sorry. I already asked that question. I think I was thinking it changed for each month.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

birder, every month you have the same fruit, leaf, flower and fruit day, it change the day those fruit, leaf, flower and fruit day come during the month as the earth move and constellations move in the sky also if the moon is a crescent moon or a waning moon, that is all.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

FRUIT days are associated with the Fire constellations (Aries,Leo, Saggitarius).
Warmth or fire signs are favourable for fruit plants. The Moon's influence is channeled into the fruit and seed of the plant.

Use Fruit Days for all fruits (currant cranberry, strawberries, raspberries, apples, plums)....as well as all fruiting vegetables plants whose seed fruit we harvest: buckwheat, beans, broad bean, peas, grains, cucumbers, squashes, lentils, corn, peppers, capsicums, rice, soya, tomatoes, courgettes, pumpkins. zucchini, strawberries and fruit trees.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 8 - 9

Root day
Sign Capricorn
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only. No sowing.Weeding and harvest. Maintenance on your existing compost heap or build a new one.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Carrots, Chives, Garlic. Do not sow Flower plants:
Broccoli. Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Roots days

Roots days are associated with Earth signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo), the energy of the Moon is focused into the roots of the plant. Planting now you will get strong, hardy well-anchored plants.

Root vegetables are divided into : Tap Roots, Tuberous Roots, Corms, Rhizomes, Tubers, and bulbs.

Tubers differ from other roots in that they are swollen underground stems, capable of producing new plants and storing energy for the parent plant. If the parent plant dies, the underground tubers can create new plants. Other roots can take nutrients from the ground, but cannot store energy or use it for reproduction. So while every tuber is a root vegetable, not all roots are tubers.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 10 - 11 - 12

Flower day
Sign Aquarius
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also Grains. Harvest produce will store well for longer.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes. but it Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives... Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 13 - 14

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. Harvest produce will store well for longer..

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants : Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Dill, Lettuce,Rhubarb, Spinach. Do not sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Cucumber, Peas. Produce harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 15 - 16

Fruit day
Sign Aries
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber also Grains.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Broad Beans, Cucumber, Peas,P eppers, Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Celery, Dill.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 17 - 18 - 19

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals such us: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber also Grains.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots,Spring Onions.... Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 20 - 21

Flower day
Sign Gemini
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes. Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots ….

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, but good for promoting flower growth.

Warrenton, VA

Hello Cristina, do you have a good day this week for "potting up" seeds that are outgrowing their first peat pots? I want to plant them into larger peat pots. Thank you in advance, my dear!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Gracye. whithout knowing what kind of plant is difficult to say, but if you do transplant without upsetting the roots the 22, 23, and 24 the Moon is in Cancer good sign for germination and transplant.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 22 - 23 - 24

Leaf day
Sign Cancer
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Lettuce,Rhubarb, Spinach. Do not sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Broad Beans, Cucumber, Peas, Peppers,Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This sign is beneficial for germination and transplant.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 25 - 26

Fruit day
Sign Leo
Moon Full

Synodic:
Now is a good time to sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Broad Beans, Cucumber, Peas, Peppers. Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach, Fruits harvested now should be eaten straight away.

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance

Warrenton, VA

Hello Cristina and Everyone,
I am tearing myself away from my windows to tell you that the landscape company came and planted 3 Nellie R. Stevens hollies (about 12' tall), 1 Brandywine Maple (about 18' tall), and 1 Bracken's Brown Beauty Magnolia (about 15' tall).

I have a real good feeling about these trees.

They were planted on Leaf Day, and look like they are loving life in their new home. And now it is snowing nicely...ah! March!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Gracye, good selection I do love the three trees.
All the best,
cristina

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 27 - 28

Root day
Sign Virgo
Moon Full

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Leeks, Onions. Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower …..

Sidereal:

Cristina ~ Should we plant roots on the full moon?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evelyn following the biodynamic you can, even more the full moon help that sugar is stored in the roots increasing the storage of carbohydrates and nutrients in roots making the root vegetables of a bigger size, you can also with the full moon and the last quarter moon harvest root vegetables that will keep well if this is done under an earth sign.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

March 29 - 30

Flower day
Sign Libra
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic: 
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes. Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Leeks, Onions ….

Sidereal:

Thank you, Cristina! Also, another silly question....planting flowers on a waning moon?? Does that establish their root systems? Would that be a good day to transplant my plants into their new home in the shade garden? Do I need to dig them up again in order to get them to flower...such as on a waxing moon - flower sign?

I get confused about these things.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Wow evelyn too many question in one. Depending on the flower.

Annuals including annual vegetables, you can plant these just after the new moon when the light is increasing. waxing moon The seedlings will grow faster because of their shallow roots.Again prefer waxing on a Flower day will be better

Biennials, perennials and bulbs, here is the waning moon influence, all these will do better when planted when the light is decreasing because they don't rely on wide root systems and a slower pace of growth will give them stronger root.

It is a bit confusing That is why you better rely on the Flower day

OK, thank you Cristina! I can move my hydrangeas then, in a couple of days, to their new home in the new shade bed....if it isn't raining!! Also the hellebores need to be moved as well...and some others that are dormant right now...maybe I will wait on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.