Dark Purple forms of Passiflora incarnata

West Des Moines, IA

I am on a search to find deep purple forms of Passiflora incarnata. These forms have the same deep purple color found in both the petals and corona alike. If you were to place them side by side with Incense or other Incense hybrids you would have a difficult time telling them apart. My past attemps at getting dark forms have resulted in getting Incense and not incarnata due to misidentification.

My project involves using the cold-tolerant clones grown here in zone 5 to be sibbed with darker color forms to get imparted cold hardy plants with deeper color. This is where I am asking DG members to contact me if they have some exceptional incarnatas with dark coloration. I am willing to purchase or trade material for them. I have both incarnata and incarnata alba growing here in z5. They have withstood many subzero winters over the past 12 years. You can view the alba from Brushwood Nursery and Grassy Gnoll websites. My parent plant is the source for material purchased at these 2 mailorder nurseries. I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Did you find any of the dark ones? If you get or have extras I'd like some too.
Roxanne

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

Would this be what you are looking for? I am not sure which passi this is. I got this from a swap 2 years ago and now it has taken over my yard;-) not that I mind. This year was a butterfly heaven for me because of this plant. If this is what you are looking for let me know so I can take a cutting. It did fruit in the beginning of the season but for some reason the fruit dropped even before it got bigger. I wasn't after the fruit though. I just grow it for the butterflies.

Eileen

This message was edited Nov 13, 2013 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by flagardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a beautiful passi Eileen. I have been looking for a fruiting variety.

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

Shauna1219 ,

I have a purple passionfruit Edulis but it hasn't fruit yet and still much small. I got it over the summer but soon after the leaves came out the butterflies got them. It is in the greenhouse right now and hopefully it will start growing back some leaves.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I got a small Dutchman's pipe vine last year that had almost every leaf eaten off it from the swallowtails. I was worried the plant was not going to survive. This year, the vine has come back with a vengeance...and then some. It has completely overtaken a podocarpus tree I planted it against. I think a lot of plants that are "used" to being food for the caterpillars/butterflies have acclimated themselves to being eaten and may actually thrive on the "pruning".

I got a couple of passion vine clipping last year, one was purple and one was red, although I have not gotten any blooms off of them yet. I also have a Passiflora x belotii that has been growing ans thriving for a couple of years.

The second pic is my Dutchman's pipe.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

shauna,
I garden primarily for the butterflies ;-) I have 3 passis one red, blue caerulean and that purple one above. The first year I planted the purple one, it didn't grow so much leaves so the butterflies had to be content with the red one. But his year, it has taken over a fence and i just let it grow wild and the butterflies just came and they couldn't even eat it all off. there is still leaves on it and didn't even looked like there were hundreds of frittilary cats on them this summer. I am looking for the Dutchman's pipe for the swallowtails . I did have swallowtails this year feeding on my citrus plant. I have raised about 10 monarchs and 5 giant swallowtails this year.
My son thinks i've gone down the deeper end when I told him what I was going to do with the caterpillars. But when it eclosed to a beautiful butterfly, he wanted to help me release them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I too garden for butterflies/hummingbirds...but I just let them grow and thrive in my yard. I also like to garden to produce my own produce, which is why I am looking for an edible passion vine.

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

I am going to start my organic veggie garden next spring . I used to do veggies in containers but they just need so much care with watering in the summer. If and when my Edulis shoots up I will take some cuttings for you . Right now it is just merely stalk and a couple of little leaves starting to shoot up.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

If you wold like, I can take some cuttings from the Dutchman's pipe for you.

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

that would be nice ;-) i will do the same with my Edulis.. we can figure out the shipping stuff later when it takes root and ready to go

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.