Cephalopentandra ecirrhosa

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

This plant is growing in s-h and has done pretty well outside all year. This winter we had a great deal of frost so I brought it in before the frost hit. At the time it was just the caudex--no leaves at all. I put it under my artificial lights and, within a week or so, it started to sprout lots of leaves! Usually it just had one set when it was outside, but now it has sprouted from several spots. I'm thrilled. I don't really understand, other than the lights, why it is doing so. It usually doesn't even get leaves until late spring. Whatever, I'm happy! I love the caudex on this one!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

What a great looking plant. Its one I am not familiar with though. But now I am curious....
I might guess that bringing it inside meant an increase in temperature - it was cold outside. So the light and warmer environment made it happy! I tend to leave my plants out in the fall until it gets quite chilly and when they come into the warm house in a sunny window they feel good and grow and even flower a bit before settling down into a rest period! I cut way back or stop the water after a month or two inside to facilitate the rest.
Again - nice plant.
Helen

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Cephalljfjffdf...waht! New for me too! Looks like it could become a nice caudex too...Nice addition Nancy!!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm ..... I guess it is not native to your area LT. You would know of it. It sure does have a crazy long name! I don't even remember how or why I bought it, but I do love the caudex.

It is actually located in Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia per Bihrmann.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 11:59 AM

Decatur, GA

I found one of these at a reasonable price. I have a hard time resisting fat plants. I will probably put it in s/h later this season. I am just not up and running yet for the season... in other words I can't remember right off where I put my spare s/h containers. ^_^
Thanks for the heads up on this one Nancy.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice caudex Helen! It's a great plant. Mine just got a 1st place in our local Cactus & Succulent Show.

Decatur, GA

You have a winner Nancy!!!

la chaize le vicomte, France

It is a quite easy to grow Cucurbit .Especialy during his dormancy.I store them at room T° with only one watering during dec-jan and february .Caudex can enlarge quickely.Yes, it is a nice caudex species.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I hope mine gets bigger quickly cana! They are definitely fun plants!

Hey, Helen, is that Andromischus maculata that I see next to the caudex?

Decatur, GA

I believe it is Kalanchoe marmorata, my favorite Kalanchoe. The only one I really like too.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, your Kalanchoe marmorata has nice color!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.