silly question

Arlington, TX

I need to repot all my adenium. Do I water or wait a few days after the transplant to water?
C

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Plants in leaf? If not, definitely wait.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree with Baja. I would not transplant it until it breaks out with leaves in probably at least mid-March or later.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Seems sensible, I agree with Baja, not that I do it...hehe. I always give my plants a light water to settle the new soil around the roots (light), my heavy watering is just enough to let the water drip from the bottom...in any case, never had issues, so will do it, but the safer option, especially with no leaves is to wait. I must also add, that when I transplant I do not play, I have everything set and it's all done in a minute, comes from transplanting lots of succulent babies...hehe.

Arlington, TX

Some have retained leaves, others not. Guess I will play it by ear.
C

If it is youngsters, I will think about a light watering for sure.

Arlington, TX

The ones that are way root bound are not young plants. I think I will wait til its a bit warmer so I can put them out into the shade after they get repotted and let them start their summer cycle.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw

Very nice - no youngsters there!

Decatur, GA

Those are really nice plants newtonsthirdlaw. I would definitely wait until the growing season starts before transplanting. The only Adeniums I have lost have been in soil during the winter. I should knock on wood before I say this but since I have had mine in s/h I haven't lost any. (gulp, looking over my shoulder...)
I would just let those beauties rest for now. But good luck for sure.
Helen

Arlington, TX

I tried S/H with a few and some other plants and it did not work for me. I got gnats, things rotted, it was awful. I have no idea why but nothing I tried did well in that media.
C

Phoenix, AZ

Oh! How cool is that 2nd one from the right? Looks like a hand :)

Arlington, TX

Yes it does, I have been waiting for it to grow a thumb...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Do you call it 'Bony Fingers'? What is s/h?

Arlington, TX

semi hydroponic, growing plants in fired clay balls instead of dirt. There is a layer of water at the bottom that wicks up.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Where do you get the fired clay balls?

Arlington, TX

I got mine from first rays orchid nursery. I think thats the name. Sally on here gave us all the idea.
C

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

If you look back on this forum there is a lot of info on S-H. I was at my local hydroponics store recently and they carry the "fired clay balls." You might check your local stores to save the shipping.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.