Dogwoods: 'Appalachian Spring' vs. 'Venus'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi all,

I have been wanting a white-flowered dogwood for quite some time now. I have narrowed my choices down to Cornus florida 'Appalachian Spring' and the complex (kousa x nuttalii) x kousa hybrid Cornus 'Venus'.

Both are said to be vigorous, free blooming and resistant to many pesky dogwood ailments, especially anthracnose.

I was wondering if anyone is growing either of these trees and can speak of their experiences with them?

I am not sure whether to go with the classic, wildflowery 'Appalachian Spring', or the later blooming, huge-flowered 'Venus'. Both look gorgeous and both would be perfect for the setting I have in mind. But I can only choose one! Please help me decide.

Thanks in advance for any advice, commentary or input.

Ispahan

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I still like the performance of C. 'Eddie's White Wonder'. It's prolific, easy and the good characteristics of both parents (C. nuttallii & C. florida).

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

'Eddie's White Wonder' doesn't have a good track record in the midwestern conditions of this part of North America (Illinois through KY).

I don't know how far and wide either 'Appalachian Spring' or 'Venus' have been grown for any length of time, so I might hesitate to recommend either plant for Chicago. It is a far piece from where both of these plants grew up - generally zone 7.

If I was going to throw it all to the wind in ChiTown, I'd pick 'Venus'.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted a Venus 8-9 years ago. It's in a wooded setting which may account for it's not very full growth and less than spectacular flowering so far. When I bought my place 15 yrs ago, there were 2 fairly mature c florida's (not sure if cultivar or straight species) which bloom specacularly. I have harvested about a dozen seedling c florida's over the years which also bloom better than Venus so far, in the same woodland setting. So maybe Venus isn't as adaptable to partial shade as c florida?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the great information, guys! As I understand it, 'Eddie's White Wonder' is a nuttallii x florida cross which is beautiful but a poor performer in the intense heat and humidity of midwestern and southern summers. Cornus nuttallii, from what I read, is not well adapted to heat.

ViburnumValley, yes, the lack of information about people growing these plants in colder zones is what has concerned me from the beginning. 'Appalachian Spring' is rated though zone 5b on many sites, and Cornus x 'Venus' through zone 4, though I am not sure if any trials were done to actually determine that information. My parents, who live across the lake in Michigan, but farther north and much farther inland, have a population of wild Cornus florida in their woods. My cousin, who lives just a few miles south from them, has a wild Cornus florida in his yard that is much taller than his two-story house. I wonder if lack of hardiness in Cornus florida is because many of the named cultivars have been selected from more southern-adapted populations?

The area I have is located in mostly full sun and in very well-drained soil. I live in the city and very close to the Lake Michigan shore, so my temperatures are more moderated due to both proximity to the lake and by the so-called urban heat island effect. It's been at least several years since I remember the temperature in my area dipping below 0F, though the duration of cold temperatures and overall length of winter is much more intense than a more southerly zone 6. Most official "Chicago" temperatures are recorded at O'Hare, which is much farther from the lake and is almost always colder in winter and warmer in summer than where I live.

Oddly enough, I don't recall ever having seen Cornus florida planted in my area, in spite of it thriving across the lake. The soil around here is slightly alkaline, so that could be the reason. In my neighborhood, there are several large established specimens of Cornus kousa which seem healthy and hardy. Their foliage did burn and crisp last summer with the heat and drought, though, but many other plants suffered just as much or more than these dogwoods.

Any more thoughts based on this expanded information? You guys are great!

Thanks again,
Ispahan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have growing here another hybrid cornus from the venus family, celestrial white, which has not flowered profusely. have had better luck with the cornus kousa's. all of the florida's have died from disease.

Don't know if this is any help but I'll throw in my experience with a species C. kousa. Bought it as a small "stick" from Springhill (yes, you heard me right) many years ago. I'm right off I65 about 30 miles southeast of Chicago. Pretty much zone 5 although I have some big oaks that can shelter my yard even in the winter. My C. kousa doesn't get much direct sun and no direct sun early morning or from mid-afternoon on. Luckily, it didn't crisp up last summer. It's a fuss-free tree but doesn't bloom every year, perhaps due to limited sunlight.

Warrenton, VA

Just an opinion. There is a HUGE difference in the look of the two blooms, so which one do you like? I cannot see why you would buy anything other than the gorgeous Appalachian Spring if all things else are the same. But I am a Virginia Native...so must gravitate toward my own kind...so to speak...best to you!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Gracye, if you could see the beautiful floral display on the many mature kousa's out in the hamptons (LI, not VA), you'd understand that a kousa can also be a beautiful flowering tree. I share your preference for c florida, but I've seen some pretty beautiful kousa's, too...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

satomi is a nice kousa that blooms freely, also has nice fall color.

I do like both forms of dogwood - the C florida because it blooms early and the C kousa because it blooms later - and I do have both. I think anthracnose scares me off a little on C florida.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.