Golden rain trees

Mount Dora, FL(Zone 9b)

We moved into a Central Florida home in December, and I've found lots of golden rain trees sprouting in an established bed of camellias. Some are sizeable--trunk diameters of about 2"--and even growing in the middle of the camellias I want to keep. How can I get rid of these? I've cut them off, but they are sprouting back, of course. Having no other choice (?), and against my better judgment, I plan to leave a few of the largest since the live oak that originally provided shade for the camellias died years ago, and we've had it removed. Thanks for any advice!

We're not from Sanibel any longer--must update my profile somehow!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 9:49 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Click on "My Tools" at top next to "Home" button. View choices in "Preferences" menu on left side.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

When I have weedy trees/shrubs sprout up, what I typically do is cut them off at the base and then spray the freshly cut stem with Roundup. That typically prevents things from coming back. Occasionally I've had to cut something down a second time, but 90% of the time this has worked for me.

Mount Dora, FL(Zone 9b)

These stems are literally coming up in the middle of the big, old camellias. There's no way to spray the cut stem without having it get on the camellia as well. Maybe I could brush it on the stem???

Mount Dora, FL(Zone 9b)

Got it, greenthumb. thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, brushing works just as well as spraying.

Mount Dora, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll try it and report back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.