Ugggh, my shipment of sticks. Need Advice on what next

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, i was doing a little winter purchasing for what i thought was spring shipping, when lo and behold, i get a box of tiny glow girl spireas on my porch. Seriously? They are about three inches tall. So, now what? do I put them out in the garden now? throw them back at the grower? what? i guess its my fault for not paying better attention!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I would clarify any warranty/guarantee with them. I'd also get them in the ground. They should be tough enough to handle it. Spiraeas seemed to take field exposure in containers just fine. Maybe add a bit of compost and sand on planting.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the feedback. Clarifying the warranty is a great idea, will do that. I went ahead and put them in the ground. The bed was recently amended with horse manure, so they should be as happy as they can be. Upon closer inspection ( much closer), i did see some very tiny green leaf nodules ( don't know the technical term for those) coming out almost imperceptibly. the root system actually looked very good. we shall see. i just hope I don't have to wait 3 years for them to be 1 foot by 1 foot. Seems like they were faster growers than that, but not sure. hope so.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I think they'll be fine. What you could do to encourage better growth and establishment and to protect the plants is create a mini-micro-climate by installing 4 stakes (bamboo, garden stakes, etc) around the plant with enough distance from the plant to allow light and then wrap a piece of burlap that is 6" to 1' high. It will cut the wind down and reduce the possibility of dessication when it goes below freezing and the wind picks up. It's a similar technique to ensuring survival of mini Pomegranates in Russia.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would have potted them up first to give them a chance to grow some.
Since they are so small make sure you give them some protection by surrounding them with chicken wire or (as I have done with tiny plants) cut a nursery pot & stick it in the ground to surround the plant

Warrenton, VA

Are you starting seeds like most of us, indoors? If you are, throw them into peat pots (or whatever-I use Cow Pots) and put them with your other babies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.