Indian Paintbrush

Omaha, NE

HI -- was looking for a wildflower forum to post this question but didn't see on on the list.
I'm trying to find out if there is any way for me to grow Indian Paintbrush where I live -- I think it's the ultimate wildflower.
I've heard it's pretty hard to grow from seed so I'd like to get some starter plants -- anyone know if / where I can buy some? Anyone with experience growing it outside of its natural setting? I live in Eastern Nebraska, zone 5.
Thanks,
Snarly

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I went to the USDA plants database and did a search for Indian paintbrush, and I was amazed to see there are species native to every state adjacent to Nebraska, but Nebraska doesn't have one of its own!
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CASTI2 Indian Paintbrush or Castilleja
There are several different species native to surrounding states that ought to grow in Nebraska. The one I am familiar with is Castilleja integra. Actually, it is fairly easy from seed if your seed less than a year old. However, after it sprouts it will need a companion to do well (it isn't exactly a parasitic plant, but its roots do need to mingle with another plants). So if you buy plants, there should be another plant in the pot - don't pull it, it is not a weed. I have seen Pineleaf penstemon, Fringed sage, and Buffalo grass used as nurse plants.
"Plant Scout" here on Dave's Garden lists one source for seed of two species, including C. coccinea, which is probably the one you want.
Prairie Moon also has seed: http://www.prairiemoon.com/product.php?productid=16399
You should be able to find a Nursery or Garden Center in Omaha that carries native plants. If they don't have Indian Paintbrush plants, ask if they have a source that they can order some for you.

Omaha, NE

I'm wanting it to grow in a field of buffalo grass and blue gramma so that should work if I can get the seeds to sprout and grow -- and yes, C. coccinea is the one I'm craving or something close. I like the term nurse plant -- sounds a lot nicer than host!
I'll try growing it from seed again -- didn't have any luck on my first try but I'm pretty sure the seed wasn't anywhere near fresh.
Thanks a lot for the info and advise.
Jan

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Again - it does not need another plant with it to sprout - as I recall, you can even get up to the 2nd set of leaves before you need to get a nurse for it. I don't have a lot of luck transplanting tiny seedlings, so I don't have advice for you there. But you probably do want to start hardening them off as soon as they are sprouting, so you can get them into the Buffalo grass already hardened off. If it were me, I think I would sprout them alone in a temp-controlled environment, move them into a larger pot with a sprig of Buffalo grass, harden them off, then put them into the ground. I wouldn't try to seed them directly into the Buffalo grass unless you have a lot of seed and a way to keep the whole area damp until they sprout.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I received some in trade last season from a gal in TX which I am germinating now. I'll see if what I have left and would be happy to donate. If it's the right species...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.