Bonsai from my Florida vacation

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

We saw two significant Bonsai collections on our trip. One from the Morikami Museum, who insist they are NOT a botanic garden and from the Heathcote BG in Ft. Pierce who claim to have the largest Bonsai collection in the US with 100 examples. Morikami has a huge garden done in a variety of Japanese styles {for all they claim NOT to be a botanic garden} and it includes their bonsai collection. Heathcote has a wonderful collection also.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a few from the huge Heathcote collection.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty and warm at the same time!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

very neat, hope you enjoyed it

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I did. I love botanic gardens anyway, but I was also amused by plants along the side of the road and used in landscaping. Of course, the 75 degree, sunny weather after the blizzard here was not half bad either.
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice. I'd rather look at them than spend many hours o creating something for 50 years from now.

Interesting to see something different and more tropical than we have at the Arnold Arboretum

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

remind me i need to trim mine up - just a baby that gets neglected a lot - those looked great martha........

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonsai is not just horticulture. It's a philosophy of life and a commitment. I run into people all the time that say: "My little bonsai I got for a birthday present died" I can't believe that they don't understand that you have to care for it consistently and sometimes daily for it to flourish. All these bonsai in both gardens had drip irrigation emitters in them. In these temps, they need water every day.
At Heathcote, the local Bonsai Society helps to care for them and they have places for "guest" bonsai to come and be displayed. I think that part is neat.
I still love all of ours here in Boston down at the Arnold Arboretum. Here's a few pics from last Lilac Sunday back last May. They are in the controlled cold storage right now and won't come for another couple of months, depending on our weather.
Martha
Here's some from The Larz Anderson Bonsai Collection at Arnold Arboretum in Boston. Ginko biloba, pines and a cedar. I love the cedar the best because it is so simple, yet interesting.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

bonsia west in acton has some really nice ones - or is that bonsia east?

Thomaston, CT

Fascinating....some look ancient....

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

A couple of the trees in the Arnold Arboretum collection are ancient. One of the trees is over 275 years old.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Wow!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Thank you for sharing these pictures. I have been trying to come up with a way to display my bonsai collection at our new house, and the slabs of rock these are sitting on are a great idea. Can't wait to go look for some rock this weekend! Thanks again! Leslie

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, but don't thank me. Thank the Morikami Museum and Gardens and the Heathcote Botanical Garden whose bonsai they are.
I liked the rock slabs too. However, I wouldn't place the plants in front of large shrubberies because it clouds the picture with too much foliage. Some you couldn't get a clear picture because of the background shrubberies. That was more of a problem at Heathcote, where they had quite a few more bonsai than Morikami.
Martha

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have a large area of mulch, just past my grass line, where my bonsai now sit on the ground. The background to that is just the tree line in the empty space behind our lot. I would just like to get them up off the ground in a display of some sort. I will post a picture when I get it done! Thanks again, Leslie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.