Mid-Alantic Pets

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think it's been awhile since we had a MAP thread, I went pretty far back and didn't see one to bump up.
Holly took Alfie to be groomed. :-< He came home all cute and uniformly clipped. :-{ He's been denied his identity, no feathered ears, no bushy mustache, and horrors, a teal kerchief. I preferred the Einstein look myself. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh he really does look cute, not near a disreputable as he was. He even feels soft and smells good. LOL Holly

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

aw Hey Alfie!! Like he's ready for a date!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Soooo cute!!

I have no pets at the moment :-(. Am planting a blue and white garden for my late cat.

Thumbnail by donnerville
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

cutie!

I don't have any recent Wall-e pics but he looks exactly the same :)
He loves playing with any type of ball

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Aw Sally...
I have a picture of one of mine in almost the same pose, and he is colored kind of the same too
this is my new phone screensaver so to speak
hm odd there is no button for me to add image
Maybe later

Cute Jen. Addy likes balls too

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, I played with one of your cats. Beautiful blue eyes! Mine was a friendly little guy. This is the only photo of him yawning that I ever took successfully. You probably have had a better luck. Any pics to share?

We've had some computer changes that have made many of my pictures harder to get to , But I'm home this morning so maybe I'll search. The one you played with had to be Chester. He's a people cat and especially a ladies man!

Won't SOMEBODY take me for a walk?? Pleeeeeeeeeeze???

Thumbnail by sallyg
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I just love Addy, was so cute seeing him sitting in the car on Saturday just waiting to go for a ride. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Donner, What a pretty cat, Ric still misses our cats terribly.
Jen, Wall-e sure looks happy GS are nice dogs.
Sally, Just love that pic of Addy, I can just see him moping around till you get him outside. LOL

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, your little dog is really cute!!! Somehow I remembered your dog being different, a larger dog of some sort. Maybe what I saw at your house last year was somebody else's dog. LOL!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

dponner----that was before he got a hair-cut.......teee...heee.....g.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Addy is such a good looking dog

dog treat recall
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm340337.htm?source=govdelivery

I think this is why Wall-e was sick awhile ago, but can't prove it cause I have no idea what brand the pig's ear was that I gave him

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Donner, That was our Alfie. He is on the smaller size weights about 15 lbs. a Carin Terrier mix. He does look bigger with more hair. LOL
Thanks for the info Jen. Those recalls are scary

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

This is the first time my home has been without a dog since the mid 1980s. I have such compassion for dogs, and in a way I have cherished my dogs (especially Jordan) the way people cherish their children. Never having children myself, it is the closest thing I can imagine how a parent feels.

When I was a child, I persisted with a 5 year long campaign to my parents to let me have a dog. My dad had never had a dog when he was being raised, and wasn't a "dog" person. It was my first realization that if you really want something that isn't happening easily, you have to work at it and never give up. They suprised me on my 13th birthday with a long ride from the suburbs of DC out to Winchester, VA. Even back then I knew the rural life was for me. I was thrilled to be riding the "back roads" and thought that was my present. We stopped at someone's home - I initially thought that it was a friend of my dad's from work - but it was actually from an ad in the paper of someone who had border collie pups for sale. I held that pup in my arms the whole way home, and it was the first time I experienced actual crying from feeling so overwhelmingly happy. The poor little guy was so carsick, threw up on me multiple times, and I knew then how compassionate I would feel towards dogs my whole life. I named him Winchester.

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What a wonderful story and great picture. How long have you been without a dog, Terri? Maybe this is the time to look for one. Something that will swim in that great pond of yours.

Awww Terri!!! wonderful story.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, Jordan was the last hold-out of four aging dogs, and passed last May. I still choke up when I talk about her and I miss her every day. I believe when the time is right, another wonderful dog will enter my life. In the meantime, I have Scruffy (a West Highland Terrier who looks a lot like Alfie) who stays with me about once every month or so when my friends go out of town. And then there is Reese (a Chocolate Lab), who is my friend Cheryl's granddog. Her son Mark brings him over a lot to swim and he also stays with me the few times Mark goes out of town. I'll have to find a picture of Reese enjoying the pond - can't help but feel his enthusiasm!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I know just how you feel. We waited quite a while after we lost our last dog dear Buddy. Then one day Ric said OK start looking for a new dog. That was when we found Alfie. I think of getting another one from time to time but we get Jamie's Doxie Copper quite often and if Deb gets the job at BoyScout Camp this summer they will live at the camp so we will have her for most of the summer.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

What a great story, Terri!!! Your current property is perfect for dogs. Maybe you can get a water dog that will enjoy swimming in the little lake :-).

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great story Terri!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, I found some pics of Reese enjoying the pond. This was taken in the summer, but that dog will go in even if there is a thin layer of ice and temps are bitter cold. Mark says Reese starts whining with excitement as soon as they turn down the lane.

Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill Thumbnail by aspenhill
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Boy is he having a great time.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspen, that is a wonderful story and those are fabulous photos.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, Reese looks like he would be a best buddy. Lovely story about Winchester. Ric

Graham, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is my kid, Hooper. I can't imagine not having him in my life. He is quite a character.

Thumbnail by Permi_Eden

Hi Hooper!
He looks like a real peppy guy! Black dogs are great.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Said the lady with the "black" GS. LOL
You are right he does have a great look, an inquisitive look on his face.

hee hee.
Has anyone used BioSpot for cat flea control? Contains Etofenprox + (s)Methoprene
There's a thread in the Pet forum where a number of people complain, some have areas where fleas have become resistant to Frontline.

Fairfax, VA

This is Kitty, who announces his presence in the room. We call him "Elivis" as in "Elvis is in the building"....

Thumbnail by marvinemo
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

whoa

Graham, NC(Zone 7b)

now that is a cat with a presence!

Thats a hunk o burnin cat love there!

Heavy rain tonight. Addy will pee on the concrete basement floor i bet. She is such a rain wimp!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

That is one big cat! "Thank you, Thank you very much"

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a cat pee problem -- too much of it in the dining room. At least, I think it is the cat. Our female cockapoo is none too innocent, either.

I'm finally caving in and buying more litter boxes -- I'm hoping that will do the trick (right now we have two in the basement, only one of which our cat likes, but I've resisted putting any upstairs). We're so nice to our pets -- I don't see why they treat us so badly!

Us too---
Two cats, and one of them or both, has peed on several different rugs, including dining room. We've had to remove the throw rugs one by one if they got messed up. THe recent most used spot, the vet said, well, put a litter box there. It worked. Very luckily, it is in the utility room. WHen I lived with a girl friend, she went nearly insane trying to clean up the rug where the cat peed, and get him to stop. Enzyme, you name it... so aggravating.

We have two litter boxes in the utility room, so Addy figures, ''If I gotta go, why can't I just go there too?'' (on the floor)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

A big welcome to Hooper and Elvis! *Tell us a little more of their parentage ???

Aspen. invite me to Reese's next pond party! Nice to have dog and cat presences even while we are inbetween our own.

Last year about this time I was TNR ing (Trap, Neuter, Release) a momma cat and three kittens who found my backyard a suitable hangout. Here are the kittens at one year old, They are hilariously curious and playful but still wary of humans except at feeding time s when I can actually pet two of them. Mom has not been seen since end of summer. They watch everything we do!

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup

Aren't they sweet, coleup. Have you named them?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, when I lived aboard our sailboat, I met several dogs who were trained to use a litter box while on the boat. Easier with females as they squat to pee. Also met a couple with a large male dog who peed off the side of the boat but didn't always factor in the wind direction.

Growing up with both dogs and cats as pets, we never walked the dog unless it was a she and she was in heat. Animals were out for the day and came in at night or bad weather. We never had a litter box either...feed them and then out they went. If they didn't come to the door on their own, we would call or whistle them in for the night where they held it until first thing in the morning. Ah, country life, hard to recreate in suburbia.

Wonder if dogs and cats discuss the finer points of training us humans? They sure do a good job of not letting on who has the upper hand!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.