How tall does your Scabiosa get?

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a quick question for everyone. I posted about a new Scabiosa in the UK, Scabiosa Black Pompom, which I am in love with and am currently trying to work out placement in the garden. Well, the growers say that this ones gets 2 feet tall! That is much taller than any scabiosa that I have seen. I was planning to put it in front of Coreopsis Moonlight, which is supposed to get 15" tall, but now I am worried that it will block them if it gets 2 feet tall! What do you guys think? Do you have a scabiosa that gets that tall? Would you put this variety in front or behind Moonlight? Thanks so much for the input!

I just looked up a few different varieties and some say 2-3 feet, so I guess my experience is all somehow with dwarf varieties. Geesh, that's so tall in my mind for a Scabiosa. I'll have to adjust placement plan, I think and put it behind the coreopsis, but I refuse to put it behind the Lavender Anouk! That's just wrong! :)

(Zone 4b)

Quote from funnthsun :
I have a quick question for everyone. I posted about a new Scabiosa in the UK, Scabiosa Black Pompom, which I am in love with and am currently trying to work out placement in the garden.

Are you saying that this particular Scabiosa is available in the States this season?

No, not available in the states, yet. I imagine it will be a few years yet, but since I'm planning out most of my beds on a long-term plan, I need to be sure to leave room!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from funnthsun :
No, not available in the states, yet. I imagine it will be a few years yet, but since I'm planning out most of my beds on a long-term plan, I need to be sure to leave room!

Wow...and here I thought I was hard core!

what can I say, I'm a planner! That, and i love scabiosa, but already have too much purple in my garden, dont need any more. When i saw black pompom ans Its the exact color of my shutters, it was like it was meant to be :-)

(Zone 4b)

Quote from funnthsun :
When i saw black pompom ans Its the exact color of my shutters, it was like it was meant to be :-)

'funn' when you say "black" do you mean dark red/maroon? If so I have an outstanding plant in my garden which generates a beautiful mass of very dark red flowers and is readily available....Dianthus HEART ATTACK. When I get home this evening I will post a 'real' picture from my garden of this great flower with dark red blooms.

i actually looked at heart attack, but it looked more red and less maroon. i want true maroon, not red, defin not burgundy (hate pink! even tones of it). the black pompom is true maroon, at least, i think. is heart attack really maroon? if so, plant delights has it and they are local for me. it would definitely be the right height. hmmmmm....

(Zone 4b)

It may be slightly less than maroon when the flowers first open but they quickly darken up. I would give it a try given that your english Scabiosa is not yet available. You might be pleasantly surprised.

(I will post a picture later).

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation! I have heard that it does quite well here!

(Zone 4b)

Dianthus Heart Attack (May 31 2012 zone 5)

Thumbnail by rouge21

wow, beautiful! how many plants is that?

(Zone 4b)

1 only in the foreground...maybe 2 beyond that.

Is the red you see in the picture dark enough 'funn'?

It still might be worth trying this plant just to see for yourself its true colour...at least until "Black Pom Pom" becomes available.

its borderline, i would like a bit darker. i noticed that you said on another post that you have had astrantia in the past. i saw that a couple of varieties come in that dark maroon color. I have zero experience with them. are they difficult at all? how long do they bloom? they might be the right height and they are certainly compact enough. the varieties that I was looking at are sterile.

you are a wealth of information, thanks so Much!

(Zone 4b)

'funn', I planted my first Astrantias last season (probably 6 plants in various locations) but given that they went in the ground in July and August I didn't anything of consequence from them in 2012. They better show something good this year. Part of their appeal to me was their advertised ability to flourish i.e. flower in (much) less than a full sun aspect.

For the darkest red google these varieties:

- 'Moulin Rouge'
- 'Ruby Wedding'
- 'Venice'

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 7:37 AM

yes, two of those are the two I was looking at. i think Venice is my favorite, Ruby looks too red, not dark enough. i may try a few of these and see how the do. for some reason, they remind me of a hellebore bloom. no idea why.

(Zone 4b)

I think I planted a "Venice" last year. For the white flower Astrantia I went with "Princess Sturdza". And for pink it was "Roma".

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 12:21 PM

I really like "Florence" and "Buckland" as well, but they self-seed and it seems like they can become invasive? Buckland has green tones and I love green flowers. I really hate pink flowers unless they are soft pink and Florence seems to be a pink and green blend. Very pretty, but not sure about the spreading thing, will need to do a bit of research...

(Zone 4b)

Given your much more moderate climate (than mine) you might need to pay more attention to spreading. As well Astrantia in your garden might require more shade then in mine due to your more intense sun.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 4:13 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.