Coffee Break # 93

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How about a new thread?
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296550/#new

Thumbnail by ge1836
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Morning Jo, thanks for starting a new thread....I was slacking. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No problem.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

These last 2 storms have had me doing things I haven't done in a long time. :) Tye Dying and making cinnamon ornaments. LOL

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

While we were making these on the inside, it was doing this on the outside. It's not snowing, it's was just windy and I was trying to capture the many little snow devils that were forming in the field.

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The snow devils remind me its the time of year I cant seem to get warm.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Wow, Celeste! Those are awesome! I love the colors you chose! I never learned how to do that. Looks like a lot of fun.

Rosemary, huge kudos to your very impressive kids! What a wonderful statement of your parenting. You must be having such fun following their terrific adjustments and their blossoming. Very impressive!

Jan, hope you feel better soon! Hank is still struggling with that long-lingering cough. I can't imagine how I have avoided getting his virus so far. I guess it has something to do with how often I seem to wash my hands....not because I'm a germaphobe, but probably because I'm a gardener and hate to have dirty fingernails. LOL

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

ditto to louise's comments rosemary - sons like your kids are doing great.

hope all here feel better

Thomaston, CT

Those tye-dyed shirts really caught my eye....love them! Have never tried it, sounds like work! Thanks for the update, Rosemary.....sounds like the kids know what they want......sorry to hear about the coughs.....knock on wood, healthy so far.....I'm crediting the black currant juice!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

cute tye dye!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

What does black currant juice do, Marilyn?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I ditto the black current juice from the standard grocery store, but I think the Sambucus extract --available at Whole Foods--is at least as good. The point is to build the immune system with superfoods. It doesn't cure anything, but I think it speeds healing and I take it when I think I'm getting a flu.

I think I'll going to see if I can grow acerola in my window with the same idea in mind (only see it at Logees) cause you can pop them into smoothies.

Thanks for all the nice attention, guys.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Elderberry does in fact kill viruses and if you have a bacterial infection Manuka honey kills it

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Bleach works well.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, everyone!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wine - in moderation, of course.

Elderberry wine hits both bases...

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone, the tie dye was fun!!! Of course I still have blue& purple fingers. :)

These are the Cinnamon Ornaments.
I used to make these with the kids when they were little, very easy. Apple sauce, glue & cinnamon, punch a hole out for a ribbon to hang with and let dry for 5 days on a flat surface.

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I made some of those ornaments with the grandies in Dec. They smell so good. And if I can smell them you know it is fragrant.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

^_^

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

so pretty, what amounts for the ingredients? what did you use for the design?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

The mold is something i've had for ever from Pampered Chef.
http://www.ecrater.com/p/6283123/pampered-chef-anniversary-heart-cookie

The recipe is ....
http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnamon-dough-ornaments.html

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty I really like that design! Definitely on the list for next Christmas, nice little gifts.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks!

Thomaston, CT

Good project when I'm sitting the kids...thanks. Louise, I usually get a cold in the winter from the kids, & I know the black currant juice has a lot of antioxidents...started drinking it at breakfast since the fall....not a sniffle.....so far.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

We used cookie cutters for ours.

Need to start a black currant or elderberry regime.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Leah at 10 months old

Thumbnail by debi_k
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Awww what a dollbaby!!!

Cutie!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just found this on Face Book its eddible.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Debi, she is so cute! And I love her outfit. What fun for you!

Jo, where do you order one of those piggy puddings? I know ampiggy or two who would LOVE one! LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have no clue.It was on DD's FB page.
I wonder if you could google the reciepe?

Thomaston, CT

How did Leah grow so fast? She's a cutie pie! Wonder what the pink pigs are made of.....guess I could try one......

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I saw that pig cake too, the pigs are made of fondant

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

As Lindsey says, 10 months old wearing 12 months clothes, not bad for being 2 lb 3 oz and 9 weeks early.
I can be mad at DH, and all he has to say is, Leah and I'm smiling, even when I say it's not going to work :-)

Cute cake, the base would make a cute Easter basket cake.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Leah is adorable, can't believe how fast they grow

found the recipe for that cake, it says it was translated from Dutch, hope they got the measurements right, LOL
METHOD PIGS IN THE MUD CAKE

You will need:
- A biscuit/cake of 20 cm (self-baking cake and some stores sell them plain)
- 2 x large bar of milk chocolate 200 gram
- 1 Cup (250 ml) whipped cream
- Filling for the cake of your choice ( a layer of jam / tart fruit and a layer of pastry cream, whipped cream or butter cream.
- 3 x a five-pack KitKat
- 1 packet (250 gram) light pink marzipan
- Cake saw or large knife
- Skewer (for the pig eyes)
- Ribbon
- Flat board or plank to the cake to set

In advance you already prepare the pigs, there's no real method ... just a bit like sculpting in elementary school once ;)

Pour the cream into a saucepan and place over low heat.
Continue stirring until almost boiling.
Meanwhile, the bar of chocolate into cubes break.
If the cream almost boiling turn off the heat and stir in chocolate the cubes
Stir until you have a smooth mixture.
Let this cool and thicken and occasionally stirring (takes a while).

In the meantime you take your already baked biscuit and cut it in 2 layers and fill with your filling of choice.
Keep your cake on a breadboard or other surface so you can easily rotate because smear the sides, is a nice mess :)
Break the kitkats already in 2 and and put them ready.
Look how thick the chocolate mixture is, when he is about as thick as custard you can smear the sides of the biscuits/cake
Use a spatula or just the back side of a knife.

If you have the whole cake smeared around you can stick the kitkats.
This is a difficult job, the kitkats sometime will not stick and fall occasionally.
Put them a little slanted so they lean against your cake.
If they were all sitting around you quickly doa ribbon around it and put them all pretty straight.

The rest of the chocolate mixture, you just pour this on top of the cake.
Please note, when it is too thin it goes through the kitkats wall!!!!

Then you put the pigs in the still soft chocolate and put in the fridge.

After an hour
you can put cake on a beautiful plate and serve, enjoy!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Leah is adorable!!.. and I love the piggy hot tub

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Leah does look older than she really is.What a great smile.
Great cake sleuthing works guys.I would have guessed marzipan for the pigs but my baking goes way back.

Wife's cousin in the Air Force, who has been in Alaska for over a year will be going to Dubai for six months training. He is learning hvac so the heating part is done, so now for the air conditioning!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What does anyone think of the Ausie bladerunner's chances for a light sentence?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, defense was able to puncture holes in the prosecutors overstatements. I think we're missing the cultural context of violence in south Africa. Robbers do break the roof in order to enter a home sometimes. But to me as an American it doesn't look good for the Bladerunner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.