your favorite spring ONLY blooming perennials

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

So, I'm starting a new raised bed extension and immediately started doing research on what Spring bloomers I could put in there. I need something that will basically disappear or blend into the background when my summer rudbeckias, echinaceas and dahlias begin to boom. No tulips, buttercups, hyacynths or any other standard bulb. Thinking more perennial like maybe columbines and false indigo.

So that brings me to my question: What's your favorite, easy care Spring-only blooming perennials? Thanks so much for your feedback!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Columbines are my favorite. Especially the specie ones. I love the new showy hybrids but the plain red ones are hard to beat.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix 1: Lupine Russel Hybrids
Pix 2: Papaver somniferum, annual
Pix 3: Linum perenne (flax)
Pix 4: Thermopsis montana (false Lupine)
Pix 5:Aurinia saxatilis (Basket of Gold)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix 1: Dianthus grationopolitanus (Cheddar Pinks)
Pix 2:Veronica austriaca
Pix 3: Dianthus deltoides Zing
Pix 4: Dicentra spectabalis (Bleeding Heart)
Pix 5: Iris germanica and Viola Johnny-Jump-Ups

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix 1: Ajuga tricolor
Pix 2: Penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain Blue
Pix 3: Hesperis matronalis
Pix 4: Saponaria ocymoides
Pix 5: Iris setosa

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix 1: Phlox divaricata
Pix 2: Veronica Waterperry Blue
Pix 3: Verbascum phoenicium
Pix 4: Phlox subulata (Creeping Phlox)
Pix 5: Viola Johnny-Jump-Ups

Just a few of my favorites.....
Fragrant: group #1: Aurinia; group #2: Dianthus Cheddar Pinks, Dwarf Iris g.; Group #3: Hesperis m.; group #4; Phlox d.

Wow, Warrior, that is a lot of plants! Thanks for all of the suggestions AND pics, very helpful.

Two other requirements:

1) When it blooms, I want to see more bloom than greenery.

2) It needs to be a long-blooming spring bloomer, not short like creeping phlox.

I know, I want it all, but I know I can have it with a little work! I don't have huge areas, so I really have to make mine count!

Keep 'em coming!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Haha Kathy, is that all ya got to show ;-)

My wish list:
Dianthus Zing- I thought it was a truer red, love the color in your pic. Does it re-bloom, like Arctic Fire, or only once?
Veronica austriaca
Iris germanica with JJ's- gorgeous combo
Just for a start...

You have us all beat, lol...

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix 1: Aquilegia chrysantha, this particular one is fragrant, Might even be "Denver's Gold"
Pix 2: Gypsophila paniculata Bristol Fairy, sorry this one is 48+", but it gets cut back after bloom to about 12", this is a grouping of about 5 plants
Pix 3: Dictamnous purpureas
Pix 4: Centranthus ruber, it's main bloom comes in spring--e. summer, light fragrance also
Pix 5: Gypsophila repens (heaviest bloom in spring), and Caliroe i.

Ok...that's about it.....lol. Atleast of what I have.

(Zone 4b)

Great thread!

If spring means anytime before June 1 then here are my 3 faves; from my garden this past season.

- evergreen Candytuft Iberis sempervirens ('Snowflake'?)

I love this plant. It blooms for a good 4 weeks from mid April until mid May.

- Columbine - Origami Blue & White (Origami)

I love the delicate blue and white colouring of these flowers.

- Foam flower (Tiarella)

I think the ones in the picture are "Sugar and Spice". Impressive long lasting blooms with nice foliage all season.

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21

Ooooh, I looove the Tiarella. I had no idea that any Tiarella took full sun, but I just checked Terra Nova and it says it will for Sugar and Spice! Wow! Does it really? I can't have pink in that bed, though. I wonder if there is a purple-tinted one that takes full sun. All of the Tiarellas on Terra Nova that have the purplish tint are shade lovers. Sigh...

I'm putting candytuft in another area and I have definitely decided to add columbines to this bed, along with the false indigo (I think). I am going to mix in different varieties of columbine with the indigo in the back of the bed, but I need something to mix into the front with shorter columbines. Something spiky and purple, I'm thinking, and will disappear when the summer bloomers come in. I'm sure someone will post a beautiful pic of something totally different that will lead me away from this plan! It's so hard to be decisive when there are so many gorgeous flowers out there.

On a side note, I just went on Canning Perennials website and oh, boy, that was a mistake! They always have plants that are hard to find and make me drool. Spent way too much time over there trying to find a spring bloomer and now my list is soooo much longer of "wanted", but most don't even bloom in the Spring! Spring Fever is making me go nuts and it's only February!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from funnthsun :
Ooooh, I looove the Tiarella. I had no idea that any Tiarella took full sun,[/quote]

'funn' both my "Tiarella" and "Blue and White Columbine" are in significant shade. (Only the "Candytuft" gets lots of sun)

[quote="funnthsun"]On a side note, I just went on Canning Perennials website and oh, boy, that was a mistake! They always have plants that are hard to find and make me drool.

When you write "Canning Perennials" do you mean the Canadian/Ontario "Canning Perennials"?

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 7:29 PM

Yes, I did mean Canning Perennials in Ontario. Can't order from them but love, love to browse there and get new ideas. I find they are honest with their descriptions and even have some heirlooms. I go to UK sites, too, to see what's new and " coming soon" here. I'm a glutton for punishment. :-o

(Zone 4b)

Quote from funnthsun :
Yes, I did mean Canning Perennials in Ontario.

For the first time I ordered from "Canning" last season. I was especially pleased with the Buddleia Flutterby 'Petite Blue Heaven'. I just hope it makes it through this tricky weather winter (I actually drove out to them directly to pick up my order).

Another Canadian nursery that I highly recommend...especially if you can visit it in person is http://losthorizons.ca/. But if you can't, their on-line catalogue does provide lots of good information which you can apply elsewhere closer to home.

oh, I'm envious that you're close enough to drive there. I've only heard good things about them and wish they would ship to the US.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.