Serviceberry Pollinator

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Does the Amelanchier alnifolia (serviceberry) need a pollinator?
I have been looking at Autumn Brillance and Princess Diana if it takes two to pollinate.
Would these two work for pollination?
Do you need two trees for good berry production?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Most members of Rosaceae (to which Amelanchier genus belongs) set far better amounts of fruit if they are able to cross-pollinate. Thus, if you plant two different clones like you've mentioned (and their bloom times overlap...) then you should be rewarded with lots and lots of fruit.

As far as I'm aware, I think 'Autumn Brilliance' and 'Princess Diana' overlap in bloom time. You could contain a nurseryman/grower to confirm.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the answer. I could not get a straight answer from my research.

VV wrote:

Quoting:
You could contain a nurseryman/grower to confirm.

You might do as well to contact a nurseryman/grower to confirm...

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Ok, I will do that.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

So... seeings how they set fruit just fine in nature (being a common shrub across the prairies) by self-pollination and presumably, cross-pollination between adjacent and nearby bushes, why would the advice be to get two different clones, rather than, say, just two bushes of the chosen variety?

Quoting:
So... seeings how they set fruit just fine in nature (being a common shrub across the prairies) by self-pollination and presumably, cross-pollination between adjacent and nearby bushes...

Subtract the "self-pollination" part, and you get the drift. The plants in nature are going to be seedlings that are not identical, and they should cross-pollinate every time - provided they bloom at the same time.

I suggest different clones, so that identical genetics are not at play.

Show me one plant isolated from all others that fruits prolifically, and I'll show you the self-fertile selection that will sell millions when one propagates it and gives it a catchy trademark name.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I'd suggest that plants in nature of this species are likely largely clones produced by its suckering habit, but okay, sure. The advice you suggest is the usual. Thanks.

I agree with you that each clump/colony (similarly Sumac, Elderberry, Aronia, Winterberry, etc.) may originate from one genetic parent - but the clumps/colonies are in many different locations. Each seedling starts out as a separate plant, and these separate plants/colonies cross-pollinate.

None of this is to say that any of the Rosaceae are self-sterile, just quite self-incompatible - meaning that relatively little fruit/seed is formed (compared to when there is cross-pollination). I spent a bit of time reading on this with Viburnum as a genus. There are various ways that this situation occurs, from time of bloom to size of pollen and a few more traits that someone with more knowledge of botany and plant physiology could explain better than me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.