Denamarin question

Madison, AL

My Toy Fox Terrier Charlie has come up with elevated liver enzymes - clinically appears very healthy. After a course of antibiotics (in case there was an infection, although no signs of such) and several diagnostic tests (I do not want to go to ultrasound and liver biopsy now), a genetic liver shunt has been ruled out. That leaves several other possibilities. The vet and I have decided on "watchful waiting" for 6 months and check again. The vet wants him to take Denamarin once a day. It apparently is a nutritional supplement supposed to support a healthy liver and to assist the liver in regeneration (I have no idea if this would really happen as so many drug companies promise so much - at least it promotes a healthy bottom line for their company!). Anyway it is supposed to be given on an empty stomach. It can be given supposedly in a tiny bit of food if necessary. Absorption is better on an empty stomach. My dilemma is that he will not chew up the chewable and I really don't want at this point to be pilling him every day with a "nutritional supplement". My direct question - do you suppose it would do any good to simply crush it up and put it in his regular breakfast (it is very difficult to give him a tiny bit of food first thing in the morning and then wait an hour to give him breakfast - he and I both have other lives to live)? I thought maybe he would get some benefit from it if not all that the drug company claims. What do you think? If absolutely necessary (as if we were treating a definite illness with a proven treatment) I will go the harder route, but at this point I am not convinced that this nutritional supplement will actually do much for him. I am trying to feed him quality food and providing good exercise, hoping his body will take care of itself (foolish thinking according to the drug companies).

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!