What new feature are you planning for your garden?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 72 votes:

I want a water feature, pond, fountain or birdbath.
(11 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I'm planning an orchard and berry patch.
(10 votes, 13%)
Red dot

I want a stone or brick retaining wall.
(5 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Just some new containers for me.
(18 votes, 25%)
Red dot

New patio furniture is in my plans.
(5 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(23 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm adding chickens, which isn't really a garden feature, but will add to the ambiance in the yard. Also thinking of worms.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

I voted "Other" as I'm not planning on adding any new features. We're having lots of home updates (new roof, pool resurfaced/coping, new paver decking around pool, re-screen pool enclosure and house painted); I'll be trying to revive my gardens after all of that. I already have several of the listed features, so I'll just need to get them back in shape.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Other here as I have the pond, the water feature, paved walk. I am putting in a few raspberry plants for my dgd and a couple of mini dwarf apple trees, Not really an orchard, and not really a berry patch. just filling in areas in the gardens and planting a couple of whiskey barrels.

I am going to totally rip out and re-design............l

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I need a few more raised beds (cedar boxes) built and set in place, and I need pathways in my yard. Also, I need a couple nandinas, and a crepe myrtle relocated, a sago palm and some boxwood? hedges removed, and one more crepe myrtle gone away...and a stump I keep tripping over ground up.....

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

nandinas- dwarf? Other for me, as the feature is removal of one bed- moving the red salvia to another place and putting in a small hugelkelter sunflower bed. Daughter doesn't understand I have 10 var of sunflowers... chuckl, fun fun!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I chose other but I'm thinking it really would be just another "container" form. Attempting one of those vertical gardens using a wooden shipping pallet, weed barrier fabric, staple gun and soil. I don't have the space for a full size 4'x4' pallet so I found a 2'x2' one at work. I won't be hanging it since I rent and don't want to drill brick so I'll just lean it back.
I thought about doing herbs and some annuals and maybe a micro cherry tomato or two but I'm not sure what may be used to treat the wood so it may be all floral this time.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

We are putting in an arbor, to cover up a large blank wall in our back yard. And under the arbor we are going to put in a fountain. This is the beginning of the arbor.

Thumbnail by happytail
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I just want our old retainng wall that fell apart last year to be rebuilt so I can plant new stuff around them again. And I want the leftover wood to be used to make my veggie bed into 2 raised beds to make it easier to reach plants in the middle.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Retaining blocks added around the beds some others decorative , a few concrete poles.. All planned early ,hopefully to get done..

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I voted other. I want to put in new raised beds for my vegetable garden. Had some years ago and the wood rotted away a couple years ago. Tried to do without, but got weeds, weeds, weeds and couldn't keep up with them. Also, I would like to relocate some azaleas that are now in full sun. We had some pines removed, so they lost their shade.

Ranburne, AL(Zone 7b)

My husband died and I moved so I am starting over .I really would like another water garden also .Porsha pprice256

(Zone 7a)

I would like to add a stone path or two.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Voted 'other', doing a veggie garden this year

Orlando, FL(Zone 10a)

I plan to do hanging baskets with herbs! Having a friend put up a nice long & sturdy pole so I can hang a bunch. Maybe a strawberry or tomato (small & compact). I have to put things up if they may be eaten or used in cooking so the very big dog in residence doesn't lift his leg on them. And I'm sure I'll be unable to resist the temptation to hang flowers, too. I love anything that butterflies (and their caterpillars), birds, and other native pollinators can use.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

So sorry to hear about your husband, Porsha (pprice.) That must be a huge transition.

I'm plotting raised beds for my vegetable garden, much to DH's dismay. He knows he'll end up having to help me build and install them, and he's less than enthusiastic. His garden contributions are limited to eating what I grow. LOL

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Other! A tornado and ice storm took most of my shade awhile back, I'm still changing over to sun lovers and plants that can deal with dry weather.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

cathy4, I know what you mean. We got the catastrophic hail storm last April.

I'm wanting a water feature, but don't see that happening in the near future. Mosquitos are so bad in this area, it can't be standing water for sure.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

chose "adding an orchard" adding peach & plum trees and relocating an apple tree.

Probaby should have chosen "other"; growing vegetable and flower seedlings for veggie garden and filling in flower beds.

Also adding a raised bed for tomatoes this year.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I voted "Other". I really want a hunk of a pool boy that's willing to do all the hard work. Please!

Talihina, OK

I chose other as I always make changes Biggest change is the converting of a salad bed to a hugelkulture bed in the backyard ...In the front yard I have replaced all of the rotting raised beds/planters with new ones and had two large sweet gum trees removed and the stumps that were left are serving as platforms for a couple of planters,,also have done away with The Twisted Sisters garden as the tree that was the insperation for the name died and was blown over...

Talihina, OK

here is a pic of the newest bed

Thumbnail by grits74571
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nothing new, it's enough taking care of what we have.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Busy, busy season coming up.....Want to finish the backyard project I statrted last fall... Got 150+ trees and shrubs in, 150+ Iris g., roses, and peonies (more than 30), hoping they make it thru the winter, have watered 2 or 3 times since late December..... Come spring I will have to kill off any of the feild grasses that come back and then planting begins...... Am growing Perenns. to place in new borders (the whole backyard will be trees, flowers and shrubs) and Annuals to fill in til the other things can grow and fill the spaces between new shrubs and such....

Pix 1: Just starting to til, see I said feild grasses....
Pix 2: Trees ans Shrubs in and placing my 150+ Iris
Pix 3: All those basins around newly planted shrubs to catch the snow and and rain
Pix 4: My homemade plant stand with a bunch of new seedlings.......
Pix 5: Just one of my trays of seedlings that will all get potted individually, and am still seeding things and havn't even started most of the annuals yet.....Planting out will begin in May.....(last frost approx May 15th-ish).
Am excited to see what I can get accomplished this year!!!!! Yeah!!!! Plants.....or should I say FLOWERS, yippeeee.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 5:56 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
( Pam ) Portland, OR

Had planned to finally put a pond together. Have the molded ponds and some water plants growing in tubs. Then this winter two teenage raccoons have moved into our block. What to do ? Then the next door neighbors finally cut down the HUGE oak tree that's been blocking all the sun in my side and back yard. While I'm excited to finally get my gardens back, it's going to be interesting to see what has laid dormant since the tree grew and the garden slowly faded.

I figure if rain in Death Valley, the most in 10,000 years can bring it back to life, there's hope for my yard.
Here's a story about the Death Valley rain on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4521310

and nice pictures on this guys blog. http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/DeathValley2.html
( more pictures when you click through his other pages ... look at the bottom of the page)

So though I know I'll be busy moving the shade lovers, I'm still hoping the pond project moves forward. Clicked pond project as my optimistic choice. The raccoons may be very pleased.;)

Wish me luck Daves' gardeners.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2013 2:15 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This is the diy project that got me wanting to try this:

http://www.designsponge.com/2011/09/diy-project-recycled-pallet-vertical-garden.html

Thumbnail by dmac085
West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

We're finishing some hardscaping this spring, and we'll be installing a small parterre-type garden in the front yard in the fall.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

1. Planning for more pots this year.
2. Painting the porch which goes on three sides of the house. (which includes replacing nails with screws, thousands of them)
3. Painting the garden house (which is a one-car garage, repurposed).
4. My usual veggie garden.
5. Planting a few shrubs here and there to replace what didn't make it thru the winter.
6. Hanging a few hummingbird feeders for the first time.

I should have voted 'other', but I didn't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.