Sunflower seeds

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

the sunflower is my favorite, but, do the fancy ones set seed??????????
I have the mammoth and a lot of seed heads for the birds, but do the smaller ones that are so pretty, do they set seed?????????

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm not a sunflower expert but I don't believe so. I think the hybrids are just for the pretty flower and not so much for the seeds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The sunflowers grown for flower production will produce seed, if you don't pick the flowers and just let the heads mature on the plant. The seeds aren't the size and quality of the Grey Striped or Mammoth that are grown for us to eat, but the birds and little critters will still enjoy picking them out of the seed heads in the fall and winter. If you grow the pollen-less ones, unless there are other sources of pollen around, they may set a lot of empty seed hulls.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That's good to know! I can't grow the giant ones but generally let most of my flowering plants go to seed so I may give one of the "for the pretty flower" types a try and let them go to seed. I like seeing the birds harvesting in the fall and winter.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, now the garden will bloom all summer, I love seeing the birds go after the seeds. and I grow the mammoth for winter feeding, but the smaller ones are my decorations for the house

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.