February flowers

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

It's interesting what you find on a late winter's stroll through my woods.
#1. Hamamelis x intermedia Diane
#2. Lonicera fragrantissima. Frankly not very fragrant today, but just a couple blooms open.
#3. Parrotia persica. You need telephoto to see the tiny flowers which cluster on the high branches. Maybe not the showiest bloom, but I expended a great deal of effort to get the spectacular? shot. Thank god for the 'delete' button...
#4. Daphne odora Zuiko Nishiki. Supposedly the hardiest cultivar. Not quite fully open yet, so no significant fragrance yet. It should be fabulous soon.
#5. Jasminum nudum. Has been blooming on again/off again for over a month already.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Finally, prunus mume in 3 colors. It also has bloomed off/on for an entire month already.
I couldn't find any low-hanging flowers on the white one...

Spring is definitely coming!

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I love your winter stroll-and the lovely photos. TY. I haven't been up north in a very long time, and it is wonderful to remember the flowers and plants that live there.
I wait each winter to see the northern robins come through, and it is only once in a few years that they do. They always remind me of snow, crocus and other early bloomers... and their song is lovely,
like the flowers that you shared.
edit: They did come through this winter, and I was lucky enough to have them searching for grubs for 4 days before the entire flock flew back up to you :)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 10:11 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Good ones, Weerobin.

Despite the subfreezing weather, I strolled my property yesterday as well, toting pruners instead of the camera. Oh well - I did appreciate the early bloomers around the Valley.

I can match the Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane', and raise you 'Jelena', 'Primavera', 'Moonlight' - with Hamamelis mollis 'Wisley Supreme' tugging at the reins.

Add Cornus mas that will be ready for a big show by this coming warmer weekend - little bits of puffed cheeked yellow poking from the bud scales on southwest exposed sides of the 'Golden Glory' Cherry Dogwoods.

Of course, the all winter here-and-there flowers of Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' and parent species selections of Viburnum farreri are still popping one by one on sunnier days.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Only thing I can contribute is a hamamelis "magic fire." Which is new this year, 50% off fall sale!

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 12:32 PM

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Wonderful photos, Weerobin! I'm happy to see a good show on my cutting grown Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Last week saw, and smelled, my very first ever and only bloom on Wintersweet, Chimonanthus praecox is just about done now.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

They are nice. I wish they lasted longer though.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

incredible fragrance for such a modest flower

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.