Spring,Summer to Winter Rotation in the front gardens...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 9:34 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:03 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:05 AM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

David ~ I suspect most of the participating vegetable gardeners are located in zones where springtime is only a dream. I would suspect they avoid this forum at this time of year so as not to be consumed with 'green or zone envy'. I'm saying that as I have lived in the frozen tundra of MN.

My time spent on DG is limited as I am gainfully employed with more on my plate than I can say grace over so I tend to lurk and learn and find myself rarely commenting any longer, sorry. Not much time for chitchat these days.

Not to worry, there are only 21 views and I was three of them. lol I When I first saw it, I marked it to come back and look closer at your photos, came back later and read your second post and thought about it before I came back the third time to respond.

I always enjoy your posts and love your photos. Your talents are many. I had been following your similar thread in the Florida forum (with envy). Nothing is prettier than ornamentals mixed in with the edibles. Keep up the good work. Kristi

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I love the pics.

Just cause we're not posting doesn't mean that we're not lurking and learning...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it is interesting , only as said not much input to contribute, when where I am at it is snowing It seems that way sometimes , Everyone has their own ideas of what things should be .. Run with your own thread , more will join in , sooner or later ,,
Yes that is neat and really looks good when the vegetables look with the all season garden plants , I am not that practiced , and it does take some practice and a mind for that...

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You can see up in the right corner the views. Besides it's only been a couple of days since your first post, ya have to give us a chance. Lol

Yes, there are a few that need to control everything to flatter themselves and seem to have nothing new to learn. But we aren't all like that. I think for many, it's just as Podster said, they haven't even started due to the cold.

I'm sorry you feel ignored, just bc I don't acknowledge a post doesn't mean I didn't read it and learn. So please

So please share your knowledge.... I luv to read the many ways things are done, not just one way. Lol

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:05 AM

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Clicky? Unfriendly?

I've been a member for a few years and have NEVER experieced this!

If you would pose a question, I'm positive someone would give an answer.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

C'MON now Bee , You mean you have never felt like you were snubbed ?LOL I bet you have felt that way .. sometime .. lol

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 4:18 PM

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 4:31 PM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:07 AM

David ~ I have indeed noticed it in the past. Not sure how intentional it is but I find myself trying to overcompensate for it. Have met some really neat folks as a result. And yes, I've felt the same blank reaction but chose to ignore it. Guess that is what I meant when I said my time on DG is limited. I am here for entertainment, the sheer enjoyment of my plants and when I learn things or gain novel ideas ~ that is frosting on the cake! Take care... Large Marge lol ~ aka ~ Kristi

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:08 AM

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

David, I think some people are just more chatty than others. I haven't been here very long but I have no sense of being excluded, there just certain people who post very often and so it seems like they are all talking together; they give each other a lot of positive reinforcement so it gets reciprocated.

Personally, I read your post, there was no question or anything and ultimately I just had nothing to say about it so I didn't reply. It was certainly not intended as a snub or to ignore you.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:09 AM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Good point Nicole, I was thinking that but didn't know how to say it and didn't real realize it. I guess a title like "who else uses uses edibles for landscaping" might work. Just a thought. The pictures are beautiful.

David I saw your thread in Tiny Gardens. All I can say is wow!

You also described Podster perfectly. She's somebody you want in your corner but if you turn and look she's already there and you didn't have to ask.

Aw shucks ~ now I'm humbled. Thanks David & Lisa.

No seriously, if anyone isreally interested, David is a man of many talents. This link is to his collection of threads if anyone is interested. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/threads.php?user=DavidofDeLand Definitely a gardener to aspire to...

Quoting:
I do usually like the cake more than the frosting though...Ha!
I would say it depends on the cake but I make a mean lemon bundt with a righteous lemon icing. One compliments the other which should be a lesson in life.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:17 AM

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

DavidofDeland -

Quoting:
Do you like what I am doing in my front yard and is anyone else doing this kind of thing?

Wish I could grow vegetables, or even flowers in our front yard, but unfortunately, the area is patrolled by white-tailed deer.

Your photos are stunning! Thanks for sharing them with us.

David,
I was marveling at that gorgeous Osaka Purple Mustard, 'cause it brought back fond memories for me.

I grew Osaka Purple Mustard seeds for the first time back in 2008? 2009? and fell in love with the iridescence and the wacky hot taste without any tongue burn! I was a beginner, and so excited about that plant, that I wanted to share what I had discovered with other beginners, so I advertised free seeds over on the beginners vegetable forum. Seems I mailed seeds all over the U.S. that year.

But, the most special envelope went all the way to a lady in NEW ZEALAND. I hardly knew how to mail anything to a foreign country! Well, several months later, she posted a picture here on Dave's -- of my wee seedlings growing in a flat in her yard -- halfway 'round the world in NEW ZEALAND!

I think that is one of my proudest moments as a gardener. And, your picture above brought back that warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart!

See? We're here!

Hugs!

And Linda, I, too, was a recipient of your generousity. Odd that you mentioned it. I found I had a few of your seeds left and I just got done planting them in a 'greens' bed. Hope they are still viable and yep, I did think of you... 8)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:11 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I am late to the party, puts me in mind of the old Mutual Admiration Society, chuckle. I survive my life driving an 18 wheeler by watching others that actually get to have living plants. Every 3 or 4 weeks I get to catch up on stuff my lil phone cant keep enuff battery life to let me cruise around as much as I please on the threads. Am catching up now with a laptop and drooling over fortunate people's abilities to grow plants. I often wonder if one of these days I am going to take a picture in my ramblings and have some DG'er say- HEY! I LIVE THERE! thats MY garden! chuckle, I love your pix and Lisa and Pod and Steadycam and others try to keep me grounded...That is a BEE YOO Ti FULL yard!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:12 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

The places I go to - that would have Arizona and Florida Agriculture check points mad at me. Then there are always the mornings I wake up and the bunk heater quit and its freezing inside, then back to California and tooo dry and hot and back and forth. I do keep a few pet chertz on board...Steadycam and I are ol folks, she prolly didn't mean to make you feel attacked. You guys are lucky- I am not mad at your driving so you don't hear what I am teaching my fellow drivers, chuckl... I will keep a listen for her. Once met an Aussie gal in a Florida tkstp- she got out adjusted her mirror and walked up into a line behind my 6' tall ex hubby. I had to laugh at him- he saw her boots behind him and turned to see who it was... had to look up-and up, he told me later he had known she was tall, but hadn't expected her to be that tall...My daughter gave me a spot to plant and I teach her what she's getting into. Has to be tuff-it gets a ton of neglect...

Thumbnail by kittriana
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:13 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My daughter has limits to what she likes - but so does the elements here- my truck sank and is sitting in front of that garden in the above picture, I thought she would cry when I put tomato cages out, chuckle, the ground turns from concrete to quicksand, and the bugs are legion...the water has actually run 12" over that boardwalk...I don't think she knew maters can get to 12' long vines, her soil is so poor...we work on different spots since the fires and the drought that actually destroyed St Augustine to nothing. I keep trying to get her to take out the pines and elms and sweetgum, and she laughs at me...the third picture once was a water pond. Between the rain frogs and the water snakes getting larger every year-it was removed. But I am not allowed statues and we are still experimenting with what can survive with minimal care..

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Kitt ~ does your daughter tend to your garden while you are on the road? I know how frustrating it is for me when about time for the maters, etc. to start ripening and it is time for our annual 'visit the family' vacation. The young man that tends to our critters will keep it alive by watering when it is almost dead (lol) and harvests/eats the crop for me. I don't think you get home that often...

Last photo, on the arbor, Coral vine? I love it but mine doesn't choose to bloom. Any thoughts?

David ~ I love your garden spot photo also. I've seen enough different photos of your yard to think how fun to tour it. I'm sure there are surprises tucked in every corner. Very nice!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

We are lucky to have veggies the bugs haven't found...it is her home, not mine, the coral vine blooms, but the angel trupet and many others have not survived. I believe it blooms out of neglect and an attempt to survive...the red salvia is doing well in that same area, tho, and i attempt to assist the daylilies by watering when i get there... I do get thru there every 2 months and get my hands dirty to and arms sore everytime...

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually, DavidofDeLand, I've been working extra hours again so I haven't been able to post as I would. Normally I do post and, yes, often ramble on as I admire anyone who has the gumption to post photos of their gardens. My photos usually show off the black spot I don't treat, a bug I should have been spraying for, or one of my dogs digging a massive hole in the background! I love when someone responds to my post and lets me know how to take care of the problem I missed or whatever. I think everyone is pretty much equal here on Dave's and I have posted sometimes and no one has responded (check out the alpha-rose parade I tried to start on the rose forum). It is nothing personal--some forums just have people who are busy or maybe they just want to lurk on those days. No sence of exclusion here. Like podster, I'm here to be entertained. I have a very stressfull job--I work with my husband--and come here for little escapes. I'm also a life long learner. Will read the back of a cereal box if I can't find something else. And I find Dave's to be a great place to learn.

But when I don't have the time to post (which will be a lot now that my most recent assitant had to go) I often sneak on on my breaks to find photos and drool. I've been admiring your cabages from afar. LOL!

Love your story about life in the country. I'll have to introduce your crew of wild turkey, etc. to my massive band of feral hogs!

Quoting:
I have a very stressfull job--I work with my husband--
Ditto ~ nuf said. lol

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Wish I were, I miss my Tennessee sweetheart, but jobs are seperated right now, we do what we can while we can...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:14 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

As much water as we get it doesnt take a birdbath and there are 3 attack kitties, 2dachsunds, and my rott/wolf cross female. Flags died. Some dwarf cannas are struggling, amaryllis and jonquils and liriope do fine. That is why we work at clearing and improving a piece at a time. She likes lo maintenance and spaces- the coral and water snakes, copperheads armadilloes etc are better controlled that way. I call it my garden and she allows that. I also call it her garden and she takes care of it when she gets a chance . This past weekend I kniw she was redoing some neglected beds and wanted me home...

Uh, I'm from New Orleans....^^_^^!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I also like your bunny. He has character!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I would love to see more of Davids plants. If I had a statue it would be an elf under a mushroom - big enough I could sit on the mushroom and rest!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:16 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

With the size of my butt it best be concrete. Had one once upon a time... we write our own story. Those old pix are just as great to me... They are always a part of what you did and can do. They are what keep me planning ad I drive long strips of highways by myself and marvel at the beauty you guys craft- and how well you can make things work for you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.