OVRG#197 Spring around the corner???

Waddy, KY

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287581/

Well, yesterday started off really well and ended pretty crummy.

Got over to the farm and put the sheep out. Some of them are so near lambing that they need a wide load sign. Put the two pots of salsa on the wood stove in the basement to start cooking while I worked on some of the last of the apples. Cleaned some house and made one batch of apple blueberry jam before I ran out of jelly jars. Got the salsa in the jars and DH came in saying that one of the cows appeared to be having trouble and he had a call in to the vet. Well, long story short, the vet was there for almost 4 hours working on the cow. The calf was dead and had apparently been so for a while and they had to extract it piece by piece. DH said it probably weighed over 200 pounds. Poor Kate came to the house before they were done, green around the gills and said she was never going to be a vet, doctor or nurse, said she didn't want supper, grabbed her stuff ahd went home. The cow was still alive when we left the farm last night but I haven't gotten a report from this morning. Like I said in the previous thread, when the vet gets an emergency call from us, he knows it's going to be a bad one. I suspect whatever she brings on the market when she gets better will probably pay for this vet bill.

Anyway, up to then it was a pretty good day.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 7:32 AM

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about the cow and calf Janet, but those things do happen, and all farmers know there are losses to absorb. Sounds like you had a pretty productive day up till that time.

I just did some laundry and ran some errands. DH is in Indiana hunting, so it was very quiet around here.

Today I am having lunch with our retired ministers wife, so am looking forward to that, as we always have a good time.

Need to head to the shower and wash yesterday away, and get moving.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon everyone.
It's been snowing here..off n on. First it gets white..then it melts off...then it happens all over again. Melting is good. Tonight is supposed to get super cold again.
Ready for Spring...yessss..more than ready!
I did my shopping yesterday because of the weather report of snow....so just kinda being lazy today.
I made heart cookies for valentines day...and gave to the kids...big and little kids. I made a double batch..and still have some to frost..guess I should go do that.
Sorry about your kitty Pat. Mine is getting up there too..and we can tell she has really slowed down this winter...and seems to get cold very easily too.
Just like me!
Janet...I think that would do it for me also..on the medical field...yuk. Didn't think I had a weak stomach..but that made me think different.
Ok..I best get busy here!

Waddy, KY

Not too sure what I got done today other than two batches of salsa. I've been putting them on the wood stove in the basement and they cook pretty well down there. Since we're burning the wood anyway, I might as well save a little electricity. Went to town and of course spent a bunch of money. Picked up some more jam jars. I think this summer we're going in with another market vendor and going to Arkansas to buy a few pallets of jars. They're supposed to be fairly cheap if you buy that many and the way I'm going I could easily use a pallet.

The cow is still alive. She hasn't gotten up yet but she's eating and drinking so that's good. Hopefully tomorrow.

I was going to make my MIL coconut candy for Valentine's Day. I guess it'll be a late Valentine's Day present instead as I still haven't gotten it done. They've told her she can come home Wed. so reckon I'd better have it done by then.

I think it's time to head to bed. I'm starting to see the inside of my eyelids.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I WANT SSSPPPPRRRRINNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pat

Pat, so do I. The wind blew so hard today, and it was blowing nothing but COLD air. I am so ready.

Today I took Mr. B to the nursing home with me, and he was a hit with the residents. They have a resident JRT named Chrissy, and Mr. B met her, I think it was love at first sight. Chrissy followed us everywhere we went, so the residents got two dog visits today. They say Chrissy lays at the nurse's station most of the time, but she sure was lively today!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, boy, romance is in the air at the nursing home!

Waddy, KY

Yes, that wind was cold yesterday. Sure dried out the ground from the rain the night before.

We managed to get some garden plowed before it started raining. At least that's a start towards getting things moving around here.
I'm still making salsa. Been doing two batches a day. Since we've got one of those big Fischer stoves in my MIL's basement I start the pots on it. You'd be amazed how good it cooks big pots. You just have to give it time. Cooks without much worry about scorching. I'm making a dent in that freezer of tomatoes.

I'm going to look at two hoop houses today in Louisville. Supposedly they are 10X80. A little more narrow than I would like but I could possibly put them side by side and make it a 20 X 80 which would be quite nice. Now we'll have to see just how cheaply I could get them. We'd have to take them down so that's an additional problem of course.

Bonnie, I imagine that folks will start to look forward to your visits. My MIL is coming home from Cardinal Hill today. She's done remarkably well in her therapy and is busting to get out of there. They're a good bunch but home is always better.

Better get on with the day. Later all!

Today is grocery day. Need to get started but had to check in here first.

Janet, I hope you are able to negotiate a good price on the hoop houses, and darn it, hire some help if needed to get them dismantled and then set up again at your place. Seems our DH's can do everything else, but, no ain't gonna go there and ruin my day.

Columbus, OH

I am heading into 4 days of continuing education. I will go to seminars in the mornings, and work nights on Thurs and Fri, and just seminars all day Saturday and Sunday. Sadly, no time for much else till that's over.

Celene wishing you good learning at your seminar. Wow, must be intense, but guess they have to have you cram to get everything in.

Janet, let's plan lunch. Next week, I am free the 25th, 27th or March 1, that is Monday, Wednesday or Friday, either Frankfort or Shelbyville. Just let me know.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Lord, Celene, is there that much vital continuing education, or is it "just" a licensing requirement? It could be worse, I guess-- you could be teaching in a public school!

It is freezing in here tonight. DS stopped by to tinker with my puter before he goes off to London again. He leaves Saturday for a 2 week trip. Maybe he'll be there long enough to get some sightseeing done this time.
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

DS did send me this picture of me & my lovely late kitty.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Columbus, OH

I love continuing ed, this year they have exotic pet behavior classes, they've never had that before. You only NEED 8 hours every 2 years, but I generally take 75-100 per year.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Have y'all decided on a spring RU date yet? I might try to visit.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Darius!

We decided a few years back the Spring RU Date is set on Saturday, Memorial Day Weekend.
So May 25, 2013.......
REALLY hope you can come!!!!
We've missed you!

Columbus, OH

I put in to NOT be on call. Woo hoo!

My brain is tired. I feel better now that I had a home-cooked meal, though.

Celene did you cook it or does your DH cook and treat you when you are away like that?

Janet, yahoo, are you home?

Darius, here is hoping that I will be able to make the RU this year. I had just gotten out of the hospital with pneumonia the day before the RU last year.

Columbus, OH

My husband can't cook. If he tries, he has the "giant implement syndrome". He will use the largest spoons, bowls, pots and pans possible. If he scrambles two eggs, he uses a three gallon mixing bowl and a griddle that covers two burners. lol

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I won't really know until almost the last minute if I can come to the RU or not. Our Virginia RU is 2 weeks before yours, plus I have an appointment in mid-May with a cardiosurgeon to talk about surgery for the aneurysm they found in early February.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!
Well the sun is shining brightly here...and warming up slowly. It was 35 degrees when I walked into the kitchen this morning...much better than it has been!
I have been having computer problems..well..actually..modem problems. I hope to get it worked out today though. Very annoying!
All is well at my house..other than that.
Have to do some running around today..bank..license bureau...dr...etc. Just those little things that need to be done now and then!
Hope you all have a wonderful day out there.
~~~~~~wavin to you ALL!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, I had to giggle at description of hubby's cooking habits. Was it Rita WIlson who said that men will cook if there is danger involved? As in fire, barbecue, deep fried anything... I think giant implement syndrome would be a cinch compared to "set the porch on fire" type. How was your CE? Did you learn anything too good not to share? I know zip about exotic pet behavior. I'm not even that good with routine pet behavior, actually.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do the RU this spring. I got too tired to do the cemetery run last year, and I'm feeling the need to get that done this year. It's pitiful to not be able to be functional for 2 days in a row!
Pat

Pat, oh, boo hoo. Can't you make a vacation of it, and maybe spend the night in a hotel, and take your time with the cemetery? Just think we could meet your cute little pooch!

I am hoping to be able to come this year, as I plan to be healthy and not in the hospital, or just getting out.

Had to take my older DS to the cardiologist in Louisville this afternoon, and I was so very lucky to get caught in afternoon rush hour. I needed about 3 nerve pills when I got home. If I had had them with me, I would have taken them while I was sitting in traffic.

Columbus, OH

Continuing Ed was great. I think the most profound thing that I learned was the effects of generalized anxiety and stress on dogs and cats, and how we don't give that enough consideration when we could help these animals.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, everybody! Wish me luck and patience. Older DS and I are going shopping for a new area rug for the living room.

Celene, tell me more... our little pooch has been peeing inside-- a lot-- and I'm wondering if she has a bladder infection or doesn't want to get her paws wet going outside.

Bonnie, Part of going on the holiday weekend is the pleasure of taking some flowers to the graves. My maternal grandparents were avid gardeners-- we had something like 50 rosebushes when we all lived together, plus veggies and bulbs pretty much anything else you can think of. So I usually go around the yard and pick anything that's blooming, put it in a bucket, load up the van with empty vases, and we arrange them there at the cemetery. It doesn't sound like much, but once I'm tired, I'm just done for. I'll talk to Susan and see if she's wqilling to drive and we'll see. I love seeing everyone and I've gotten some great swaps, but I only have x amount of energy.

Janet, how is that cow doing? And your MIL? And you, too!

Lou, are you lurking? How are you doing?
Pat

Columbus, OH

The only way to tell is to have a urinalysis done. My dog has been known to hold it until she's ready to explode to avoid going outside. Good thing she's a tough ole pit bull. *eyeroll* The pansiest dog I have EVER owned.

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, I owe you a phone call and a lunch date. Seems like when there was enough time to talk it is either too early in the morning or too late at night to bother someone or where I am is too noisy to hear someone over the phone.

Things have been a little bit busy. The cow died which wasn't surprising with what she went through. Then we got a call at 3:30 one morning from DD at the farm that an ewe had prolapsed and we needed to get over there. She'd prolapsed the vagina so we had the vet out to sew her up. By the next day we clipped the stitches because we thought she was in labor. Then the neighbor put a prolapse paddle on her. We went on for a day or so and they then determined that the lamb was dead and we gave her some stuff to try to help her abort the lamb. Long story short, she didn't abort and she died. I know if this ever happens again that as soon as it's determined that the lamb is dead we're not waiting for her to pass it on her own. I think she died because of septicemia, or however it's spelled. DD was afraid to go in after the lamb since the poor ewe had already been through so much but if we'd gone in there after it I don't think it would have been any worse. Anyway, new lesson learned.

Then, we went to Louisville and bought 2 hoop houses that have to be dismantled and moved to the farm. Of course they're in worse shape than I thought and I imagine I gave too much money for them given the rust but what's done is done. Have spent two days this week tearing them down and still aren't done. They wanted them out by today but that isn't happening and they'll just have to wait until we get them done. Yesterday was spent feeding hay all morning. The mud out there is like walking in quicksand. By noon I was exhausted and thrilled that he said we weren't going to work on the hoop houses. But when I get them home and up I should have two 15X75 ft high tunnels. HOORAY for that!

Columbus, OH

It pays to be friendly with the cashier at the garden store. They had four or five packets of bulbs that had label damage. They sold them to me for $1 each. So...I have a bag of Atom gladiolus, Aaron caladiums, some kinda pink canna with bronze foliage, and Lucifer crocosmias. SCORE!!!

Celene, wow what a score. I bought some "I don't know whats" in a bag, no label, but it is a bulb, and it was $1.00. Of course, until I identify it, don't know where to plant it! It has 5 bulbs in the package!

Janet, wow, you have really been hard at work. Don't worry about the call, I know how busy you are, but we do need to get together for lunch before we forget what each other looks like!

DGD and I went to town this morning. She wanted to get her eyebrows waxed so we did that, went to the library and got a movie that she wanted me to see, then had breakfast at DQ in town. The weather was so nasty snowing, blowing and down right frigid. I had said I wanted to go to Sam's but changed my mind. We came home and watched the movie and then later while I was cooking supper, she wanted to make a stained glass cancer ribbon, and she worked on that until just a bit ago. She also repaired 3 necklaces for me. They had lost clasps and she had the patience to put them back together for me.

So Pat, did you find the area rug? Anything new usually requires some pictures, hint hint!

Marcy, hope that you are enduring the weather without too much pain.

Spring isn't as far away as it has been, so let's all cheer up and really get into cheering for it to get here quickly!

Columbus, OH

Baker's Acres opened today, and I stopped by for a look. That means it's spring :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I think we've decided on a rug, Bonnie, but it won't be in for another couple of weeks. It won't be anything exciting... We will be replacing one black wool shag area rug with a charcoal grey polyester shag rug, slightly larger than the wool one. DS is fond of modern furniture and we now have a grey couch, and dark grey granite hearth, and I said that we need toast the walls the whitest white we can stand, because otherwise we might as well be living in a slate mine! I got myself a small area rug for my bedroom and its bright blue and cream.

I've gotten tickets for War Horse when it comes to Cincinnati at the end of the month. I saw a tv show on how they stage it, with 3 actors operating this incredible leather and wooden horse, and I just have to see it in person. Susan will go see it with me. We went to see a movie called Side Effects last weekend and it was much better than I expected. It's one of those where you think you have it figured out, but the plot keeps twisting and turning. Very clever.

Janet, I'm so sorry about your cow and then the ewe, too. What can I say...birthing is hazardous no matter what your species! Good news about getting the hoop houses, tho, or at least it will be when they're up and functioning.

Back to birthing for a minute. Did anyone watch Call the Midwife on public tv? It was on Masterpiece Theater for a while, about some nurse midwives who worked in the East End of London in the 1950's. it was really, really delightful. It's based on books by a real nurse midwife, and the books are pretty interesting, too. Another thumbs up from me, as I apparently have nothing to do but read books and watch TV and go to plays and movies!!!
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Google "War Horse broadway images" and you'll need why I'm so fascinated with the stage version.
Pat

Waddy, KY

UGH! Where is spring. Last year I had garden in the ground a week and a half by now and was planting my onions by the 8th of March! I don't think that's gonna happen this year. I do have some lettuce, spinach and Swiss chard up and going in the little greenhouse. Need to plant some more.

It's snowing right now and DH hinted at going to Fern Creek to work on the hoop house. I want to but I don't. They're feeding right now so maybe he'll change his mind.

Haven't seen any of those movies. DD said she had War Horse from Netflix so maybe I can see if before she sends it back. Just got too much that I need to be doing that I can't seem to make happen.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi to all of you! I've been lurking and staying up with everyone's posts. We got a new grandbaby, a boy named Zeke, on 19th of Dec. We went to Texas right after Christmas and wallered the baby til after New Years and then we went to Florida for two months. It was the first time Dave and I have been away for that long. We really enjoyed the time. Our next door neighbors bought a second house in an over 55 community and we were fortunate enough to be able to rent one of the homes close to theirs. My daughter came and watered my many indoor plants and they survived better than I thought they would. I hate this cold weather, but I realize that I will appreciate Spring more when it does arrive. Last March was so very warm and nice and I got the gardens cleaned up and everything was really starting to grow early. I don't think we are going to be that lucky this year. LOL I've been thinking so much about Sue and praying that this one year anniversary will pass with Sue remebering only the good and that what is too painful to remember, she will simply choose to forget.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the round up . Pat I hope you work out a way of making the cemetery run and the round up too. Has anyone heard from Michelle ? I hope things are going okay with them.

I have to start doing the taxes now.UGH! I usually have it done by the end of Jan. but the post office was miserable about forwarding our mail, and I still am missing some forms that I know I should have received by now.

Everyone have a good week and try to stay warm. Lurker Lou

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I don't know how to get the picture of Zeke turned right side up. Sorry!

Thumbnail by dispatcher1 Thumbnail by dispatcher1

Lou, even upside down he is a cute little fella. Almost looks months old instead of a newborn. Good to hear from you, I was beginning to think that maybe you were sick. I know the only sickness here is sick of winter and ready for spring. They were talking on the news last night that it was the anniversary of the horrible tornado in Indiana last year. They said it was over 80 degrees, and I do remember it being so unseasonably warm for that time of year. Unless things turn around overnight, then I don't think we have to rush to get our shorts and sleeveless tops out anytime soon!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

The second upside down photo is of him at 10 wks. old. He was a little fella at birth, but it looks like he is filling out now. I don't know how to turn the pic up right, sorry. I need a resident geek and I don't have one anymore. LOL Lou

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone.
Just tryin to keep warm here! I am like everyone else...soooo ready for Spring!!
The modem went out on my puter...I thought! Called the phone company..and they sent me a new one....then..more probs!
Kept getting booted off...after much investigation...on MY part...not theirs...I decided the new modem is bad! I also found out my old one will work...as long as I don't let it get hot...meaning...I don't leave my puter on all day now. I still have to call the phone co and let them know the new one isnt right. Just hate all the explaining, etc that involves.
Supposed to get another big snowstorm here tomorrow..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Sooo..gonna hop in the car..and get to the library while I can.
Stay warm!!!

Marcy, sounds like you may have a defective fan in your modem. Take the tower apart and clean it really good, and that should take care of the problem. Embarrasing, I know to see how dirty they get, but it is an easy fix.

Lou, you are right the baby is growing fast. Hope that it slows down and you don't have a giant on your hands.

Happy Birthday Lou the lurker. Hope you celebrate your special day in whatever way you want!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.