dividing daylilies

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

HI!
I''m wondering how do I know when my daylilies need dividing? My entire garden hasn't been touched in 4 yrs and Many of my lilies where too far fro, my house to see if they bloomed or not. Even so they haven'nt been fed or weeded in yrs. When should I feed the,? I live in louisiana zone 8 b

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ginger I don't live in your zone, but, most are divided when flowering production go down or anytime you want. For a faster display try to plant at least four or more fans. We start feeding (if desired) in the spring. Some growers don't fertilize. Some use the slow release along with other fast acting fertilizer. Sound like a good size property. Good luck with the garden. Mike

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

What do you use Mike?

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I live in South Georgia, zone 8B. I divide my daylillies in the early spring or late fall. I fertilize 3 times a year, I also use Milorganite, Iron, a slow release fertilizer, alphalfa pellets, and some nitrogen to start them off, Sharon

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone. It's a relief that its ok to divide early spring. I'm actually having to move a lot this week because we are taking out beds, trying to get to where I can manage better physically. So many have lost thier tags so you will see me back here asking for identification help this summer. I do remember where I bought most of them so I can go thru thier catalogs. I've been looking at online catalogs this week-just drooling. If I won the lotto after I hired a full time gardener I'd order all those $100-250 cutivars. Meantime I do have some lovely oldie but goodies. Here are a few that have survived 4 yrs of neglect. From the left: Dragon Dreams, Pandora's Box,Her Majesty's Wizard, Yasmine & Paper Butterfly.

Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't you just love Dragon Dreams. It does well in my climate too.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

oooo.....Dragon Dreams looks so nice.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Like Dragon Dreams also. PB and PB is doing ok here.
JGrinter, I use a variety of stuff. Milorganite, Alfalfa Pellets and meal. Miracle Gro slow release and liquid. I used some Mycorrhizal Fungi a couple years ago. Would like to get some more this year and explore using some compost tea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.