What makes a seed or plant catalog 'good'?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 95 votes:

A variety of many different selections.
(11 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Unusual offerings that I can't get locally.
(44 votes, 46%)
Red dot

Price and seedcount are what I look for first.
(7 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Detailed cultural information for each variety.
(14 votes, 14%)
Red dot

I do not do mail order. (why?)
(5 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(14 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

1 or more of the following: good photography (doesn't need to be unrealistic), excellent prices, or unusual varieties.

Edited to add: some of my favorites feature all 3 of these. Forgot to add that it goes w/o saying that in addition to the above, the seller must be reliable. For example, if the seller is known to send poorly rooted, half dead plants, it doesn't matter how low the price is, how unusual the offerings, or how exceptional the photos. Also, I prefer catalogs which include zone and care requirements, but the 3 things listed above are the most important to me.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 3:17 PM

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I actually have never seen a 'good' plant catalog as none have stuff unusual enough for my liking at this point in my collecting life.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I marked other because I have 2 replies. Cultural info, and unusual offerings. Luciee {;^)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Variety because I'm most satisfied when I can order from one company & save on shipping costs.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I voted with the majority ,once again , about that I cannot get locally , However, the unusual with good variety , is a good and looked for ,and a wanted of preference.
I enjoy the browse ,anyway though.....

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't do much mail order, takes away from my nursery experience. I have good nurseries around me with lots of variety. I can typically go armed with a cultivar specific list, and come away with most of what I have a hankering for. The limiting factor is usually my budget rather than lack of plants.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, especially if they have "free shipping."

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

All are good reasons, but good cultural info on plants can save you lots of frustration, time and money....who hasn't placed an order for something only to have it languish or perform poorly because your area/zone.etc just can't give it what it needs?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have some that do that anyway ,that are where they are suppose to be,, plant torturer extraordinary!!! lol (reserved laughter)

Talihina, OK

above all I want it to list the Latin name of the plant because so many of the catalogs just make up a fancy name for something as common as ragweed LOL

Lake Helen, FL

Of course, it also depends on the past experience I have with their seeds and plants. One nursery twice sent me fruit trees already wilted and brownspotted when they got here, and then blamed me. Thompson and Morgan has a wonderful assortment, but their idea of Zone 9 seems to be Cornwall. The delicate English complexions of their offerings just blister in Zone 9 Florida.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I think above all, I value truth and transparency in a catalogue. Truth in photos, truth in written descriptions. I want to make an informed decision about spending my limited money.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hear!Hear! Steadycam. That was why I chose good cultural info....That way I know what to expect from the plant including mature size and spread. I feel company integrity kinda plays into that.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I agree! The photo(and must have a photo, does not help in the least if there isn't one) has to be real, I hate when they enhance the color. Give me valuable honest info, common and latin name

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I mainly love the catalogs! Only thing that keeps me going during the winter months. tho i order hard to find things and daylillys.
Vickie

Lake Helen, FL

Of course, variety tends to overlap with unusual. I have had good experiences with shipped plants from Select Seeds, and they even shipped a strawberry early when I explained about Florida.

California catalogues often give too high a zone tolerance for Florida and the Gulf South, and those who contemplate custom from Florida, especially, should fieldtest their Zone 9 and 10 offerings here, where conditions are especially brutisah, our bugs are the size of biplanes, our nematodes get as big as diamondback rattlers, and we can sell our fungi for champignons.

(Zone 7a)

All of the Above!

Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

Indeed, grits. There's no way I would order from a catalogue that tried to suck me into buying kudzu, for instance, by calling it African Antelope Plant. ;-)

Hinsdale, IL

All of them are about equally important. I also like to know if the plant or seed is a heirloom, and/or it's nativeness.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other: Accurate naming (both English and scientific), including following standard botanical orthography for scientific names (Genus species 'Cultivar', not e.g. Genus Species Cultivar that one so often sees in badly written catologues).

Attention to detail like this proves that they know what they're talking about; lack of it shows that they don't, and therefore can't be trusted.

Much the same as if I go to a shop to buy meat labelled beef, I expect to get beef, not horse. Accuracy and honesty matters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_meat_adulteration_scandal

Resin

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from palmbob :
I actually have never seen a 'good' plant catalog as none have stuff unusual enough for my liking at this point in my collecting life.

I tend to echo this sentiment.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A couple of you are definitely sounding like a 'hard sell"" Tough to convince eh?

Have to be different from us browse lovers , unique selves ..lol

Lake Helen, FL

I also like it when the catalogue gives not only the scientific name, but the family to which the plant belongs, even though nowadays, every time someone finds a new molecule, they change it.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Other: Accurate pictures, zone listing, price. I don't buy 'exotic' offerings any more because they're usually zone 9 or 10, and they won't live through the winter.

I love my catalogs.

Edited to add that the Latin name is very important. Many catalogs use a 'fancy' name for something that, if I know the Latin name, I know what it REALLY is.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 9:46 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from Resin :
Other: Accurate naming (both English and scientific), including following standard botanical orthography for scientific names (Genus species 'Cultivar', not e.g. Genus Species Cultivar that one so often sees in badly written catologues).

Attention to detail like this proves that they know what they're talking about; lack of it shows that they don't, and therefore can't be trusted.

Resin

Hear hear!

But I sure do like the ones with detailed growing instructions- though it almost "guilts" me into buying something to pay back for what I can learn by reading it.

Central, TX(Zone 8b)

OTHER vote - I look for all those qualities in a seed catalog. I look for tried and true, unusual and new varieties, as well as price/seed count (and if they offer bulk discounts) and cultural information PLUS shipping and handling cost. If TX seed companies have what I'm looking for I "buy local". With the soaring price of seeds along with shrinking seed count per pack I've become a "savvy shopper" AND I must say, a seed hoarder!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm also a collector/hoarder as I will never have the time and space for everything I want and buy:lol: If something is unusual enough or I think I'll never see it offered again and I love it, I'll buy more than I normally would. I hate the idea of varieties disappearing forever. I don't have super exotic tastes as I wouldn't ever be able to devote the time and effort to plants that need special care.
I stumbled across Seeds of Change years ago and they had 3 or 4 varieties of marigolds that were big and shrubby w/ single flowers that I fell in love with. I couldn't at the time justify the price due to my financials but since have purchased most of them. One I missed is no longer being offered by them and I'm on a hunt for it. Pesche's Gold if anyone sees it anywhere:lol:

So, everyone, what is/are your FAVORITE catalog(s)?? I have about 10 sitting on my coffee table...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have to say in answer to that just on photography alone--this year's Baker's Creek catalog is pure art. =) I have never seen such gorgeous photos.

Hmmm... guess I'll have to order it. I don't have 'that' one. :)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Flowrlady, You will love that catalog.
Vickie

Vickie, I did order it, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Thanks!

I think you must live in a beautiful spot on earth, Nw ARKANSAS!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.