Free Seeds for newbies... A New Bee ginning continued!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Feb,11,2013
In case you don't know or have forgotten I am prone to typos and occasional ...um ....forgetting...(just in case the Kelly Twins are watching) I havent made a thread in over a year so I am rusty. Patience and pre-forgiveness...and on we will go!!
"Beginning"
Noun
"The point in time or space at which something starts."

Postage Plunders
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286269/

Iris Draw for the New Bees is here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/

The Iris Draw deadline is the first day of spring!!
Spring is on Wednesday, 20 March 2013

As far as I can tell.....We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111944/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
new thread #2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/gardentalk/all/

Chat Thread here also lots of new and old Newbees...be sure to stop in and introduce your self...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

K here we are!! This thread is for Newbie information and questions, No scrambles on this thread...

To get your free seeds

Be Sure to put your dmail name and a note of wants in your envie, along with return name and address
Address exchange is here http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
You have to add your information to be able to access everyone else's

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions
Many of us "oldies" and some Newbies would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Dave's. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months(or so) and are a paying member.
Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Let us know you are sending your envy. Just Dmail me with sent envie today in the subject. You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Postage keeps going up so now we need five usually,

Send 5 stamps and an address label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them.
Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange this goes to the exchange http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/ you have to add yourself to the exchange then you can get my address.

Oldies!
If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back. Put a note in with your DG name and let me know what you are looking for also.
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Robin

* I try to give you what you put in your note of wants. The seeds for the newbees are donated by gardeners all over the world. I can not promise you will get what you ask for. You will get a great envie of seed!! Robin

If you are Zone 8 or above please send donations and requests to Rising Creek.
You will find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/

If you are zone 7 and Below please send donations and request to me here
http://davesgarden.com/members/arejay59/

This message was edited Apr 2, 2013 6:53 AM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I forgot to put the date in the page marker durnnnn... but it is 2/11/2013!! 11 more newbee names we need to get the second box of Irises to draw a second name!
Bring your friends , relatives, neighbors!! 11 to go!!

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

RJ,
Got here, good info.
Bells

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning Bells. I wonder if everyone will find us?

Good News everyone!! Bells has agreed to be the resident seed grower and collector!! I will send her seed from the
newbee stash she will grow it and save the seed then package it up and send it to me or Rc for future newbees!! Yeay!!
Our first formal seed collector for the newbees!! Thank You Bells

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Good morning, I made it!! (good thing I know how to read signs, huh?) heeheeheee

OK, I've been up beyond my eyeballs in so many things around the house that I haven't been able to put my seeds together yet for sending... so, should I contact you, Bell, to send them to you?? I can do that! =)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Spediebean...You send to me or Rc. Rc for you I would say you are in zone 7. Bells is going to grow them grow us. I wasnt as clear as I should have been I guess. Sometimes I forget that you all can not hear the shaking of my head and pointing to the signs etc.
Rc or I will send to Bells the ones we think will grow well for her and produce easy seeds to collect and then add to the newbie stash( she will send fresh collected seed to us as she gets it) Supply supply supply. You are sending newbie stash so off to RC Zone 7 for you!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Does any one know Tsidorus?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I found
Tsidorus

Now I am looking for

Joseph's Coat
Alternanthera ficoidea
I would be happy to pay postage or trade something.

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

hooray, hooray, happy Mardi Gras, and I got my envelope of seeds yesterday. My puppy immediately are half the envelope, but thank goodness she only got into the non-toxic seeds. The envelope must've just been sooooo delicious. Thank you to all the donating folks, and to risingcreek for the fast turnaround! So much good stuff!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

YeaY!! Nola!! Are you joining the Iris Draw too?

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

You folks will love the Iris Draw. Mit has nice healthy root stock. I love his iris.
Good morning to all.....

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes I love Iris too!!

Thumbnail by arejay59
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I just got a nice box of newbie seeds in the mail!! Thank you for the peanut butter cup treat!! You are the best Al!!

Ooooh, you gots goodies!?!? Well, you deserve it!!! < =D

Okey dokey, I'm all straightened out, I'll send the seeds to the right place! ... after the dishwasher is installed, and the new cabinets are purchased.. and then installed.. and then re-filled.. and the bathroom sink supply lines are hooked up and the vanity top is caulked and sealed.. and... HELP!! < =0

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

No rush Speedie!! We have a pretty good supply right now!! Finsish up that kitchen so we can see it!! I posted pictures of my kitchen remodel three or four years agoI hope your doesnt take as long as mine!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

OMGoodness. A tv needed fixing yesterday the internet wasnt broadcast through the cable box!! Guess wht!! They fixed the one tv.!!Funny nothing else has worked since the van left the driveway!! 18 hours later ok back in business....grumble grumble cable service...grumble grumble...
But; this is what I learned while being unable to get on line!!
I have way too many seeds!! I have been collecting seeds for about 7 maybe 8 years. Do you know what can happen? It isn't good.
So Rc another box on the way to you today no probably tomorrow. Bells get your tables ready!! and your cups!! Do you need more cups?'
You are going to have a blast with the things I found Bells!! You could need a greenhouse or a second lot to grow things in !! But you will have fun!! I will sending it all to you!!
Where did everyone go? knock knock hello..anyone home?

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Sometimes "so much" equals "too much" Robin. I've got the same problem at times.

I found a local parks commissioner that is interested in planting wildflower seeds around a baren walking trail here in the city. We're trying to organize a church work group to help plant them sometime in the Spring. I have lots of seeds that could be tossed this way and still put to good use.

We also have a "scatter patch" garden that gets minimal care, but produces lots of cut flowers,

Al

I planted some lotus seed yesterday. So I'll have to watch them and change their water. Need to plant some more today.

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Hey guys,
Busy day, youngest is house hunting and oldest adopting! Both of them calling all day:). Nice:). I'm thinking I need to start planting in the ally. Lol I'll definitely do my best, but I am on a learning curve in this heat and I have a yard that is small, so remember a little goes a long way, I had visions of my entire privacy fence covered in gourds and beans front and back, kinda like that house in jumangi movie! (sortof fun?!) I'm seriously thinking of throwing some zinnia and marigolds on a lot two doors down, they are absentee owners, nice folks probably LOVE it! Like lycodad I had a thought of throwing a few friendlies wild flowers along the edges of our park and hoping all the little kids don't pick them before they go to seed! Just don't anyone send in the last of some rare seed and I won't stress too bad, just pick what I can and send on along:) What I don't get in or can't plant in on time I'll send on back. One great thing is I can grow something pretty much year round. I'm picking vinca seed, marigolds and a few stray zinnias even now. I'm mostly worried about labeling things in the garden. I'm thinking of using coat hangers with aluminum tag folded with name etched on, everything else washes off in this salty air. I hope no one will mind if a squash seed becomes a mystery squash? Wish me luck, Dear Old Dad is helping, too:) Happy Gardening-throw those seed Lycodad and I'm in if your sure you want me Robin:). Me waving at Speediebean and Ridesredmule! Hey Ya'll!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Your the one Bells!!! no stress gardening though remember !! If its not fun I don't do it!!!
You plant what you find interesting and see f we get seed!! That's all!! And there no deadlines you have years!! there is always a new newbie looking for seeds!! The thing about gardening is it teaches us to let go we can't control it,we can plant it water it fertilize it shade it sun it whatever we do its out of our control finally either it grows or it returns to the earth and all our love for it and into it is still there .

Hey, speedie, better slow down girl.... Good luck girl....

cornwall, ON(Zone 4b)

Hey everybody- I found you! No baby yet. Dr. Says that he will induce my neice on Friday if nothing by then. My sister arrived from Sault Ste Marie, Ont. on Sunday, So we're sitting around waiting. Can't go too far, for fear of missing it. For those not in the know-- I'm waiting on my 13th(Ithink) great nephew to be born. A birth that I'm priveleged to be allowed to attend. Please excuse my spelling. This little guy has us all sitting on pins and needles, waiting.
Anyhow, Bellsp, good luck with all those seeds. Lots of planting for you!! Happy, Happy, Happy.Sandra

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Quote from arejay59 :
Your the one Bells!!! no stress gardening though remember !! If its not fun I don't do it!!!
You plant what you find interesting and see f we get seed!! That's all!! And there no deadlines you have years!! there is always a new newbie looking for seeds!! The thing about gardening is it teaches us to let go we can't control it,we can plant it water it fertilize it shade it sun it whatever we do its out of our control finally either it grows or it returns to the earth and all our love for it and into it is still there .

Well said, well said! *applause* *confetti*

I have no idea what will or won't go and grow in my new garden, but the surprise is a delight.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Nola!! Im waiting on the edge of my seat with you Sandra!! Send pictures!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!!

Thumbnail by arejay59
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Have a Great Valentine's Day Everyone!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Happy Valentine's everyone....

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice valentines pictures!!!

The boys send their love....I made the clay hearts....wild velvet leaf philodendron growing everywhere.
It is in a 3 '' pot. Don't ask me, Plants are amazing... Need a close up, let me know....

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Bumble look I make hearts like yours and one of my Christmas Cactus is in full bloom!!

Thumbnail by arejay59 Thumbnail by arejay59 Thumbnail by arejay59

Hi Hi Hi everyone!! Slow down!? What does that mean? < =D
A belated HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to everyone!!!!! I'm sorry I missed the fun yesterday, busy busy, you know. ;) Homework up the ying-yang, dash off to school, work some more, dash home, finish homework, run the dishwasher for the THIRD time (that day), checking to make sure there's no problem. No problem found. Put everything BACK under the sink where it belongs (since there were no leaks found), and put the kick-plate back on the front/bottom of the dishwasher... did 2 loads of laundry, filing, got dinner prepped... and I don't remember what-all else. **huff!** **puff!** =)

Today, thankfully I don't have to go anywhere, Wheee!! Got a new bathroom sink vanity that needs sealed, more filing to do, a dessert to make (homemade brownies??), phone calls to make... why is my "to do" list always so full!?!?! < =/ WHO KEEPS ADDING STUFF TO MY TO-DO LIST!?!? < =P

Oh yeah, and yesterday was DH's Grammy's birthday too (she's our Family Sweetheart). She turned 93 yesterday, so when he got home we HAD to spend a couple hours on the phone with her. < =D (yes, it is a MUST to spend that time on the phone with her, she is just TOO COOL to want to stop talking to!) =)

Lycodad, please tell us more about your "scatter garden"? That sounds like such a fun idea! Do you have pictures to share please? (if it's easier, you could just direct me to a thread here where they might already be posted). Thank you! =)

**Jumps up and down waving to Bell!!** < =D

Mule, what FANTASTIC photos!! Those hearts are adorable, you do such fine work! The love in your works of art really show, too! =)

Robin, I always smile SO BIG when I read your posts! < =D

Sandra, YAAYY, got any news on the new little one??? WOW, what a wonderfully large family you have! How's your niece doing, holding up ok? I'll keep everyone in my prayers.

Thumbnail by speediebean
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

!!! Simply de-vine potted plant look!!!

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy morning after valentines! Thanks for all the encouragement-you guys are the best! Mitchesgarden good luck with the nephew! Sooooo exciting! We are waiting to hear about baby boy for my oldest son and his wife! A BOY! I am so hopeful that this is to be their little blessing, fingers crossed!! We will know more, but it is a process! We are going up to bama to see youngest sons future home, yay. Dad will be home tending all the sprouts-lol! I am really excited to see them! Okay, how many more critters are you stashing Ridesredmule? I don't think I've seen this latest little blonde beauty? Such a sweet little face! Is she a chihuahua? My Grandma who is 94 had a black chihuahua named 'Miss Moony'! Ha ha! I have no idea where that came from!
Happy Gardening!
Waiting on this one last cold snap to pass to set out first round of sprouts!

Pictures -three 'weeds', lovely up close, but the white one is a real little devil down here, grows on concrete -hee hee! The yellow one is in front of condos and mounds, not uncontrollable, very nice really. The other one has a little tiny sweet pea bloom and small little long seed pods like a vinca pod. Beautiful up close, I'm not sure how out of hand it gets. I love all the wild things-just haven't been down here long enough to spend time ID them. Spent first year laying tile and painting!!!! No fun at all!

Thumbnail by Bellsp Thumbnail by Bellsp Thumbnail by Bellsp
Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

RJ - what a 'Devine' updo! Ha ha! Maybe I can sprout a few seeds on the top of my garden hat:), too! Speediebean, I totally get the 'Speedie' part of your name- take a second and have some warm cocoa-you deserve it:)!!!!! My best friend works like you and she never has been any where and she is going on cruise with DH, I'm soooo happy for her! Some people really deserve a good time. She works 3 jobs, 5 grand kids, takes care of mom and childless aunt!!!!! Wears me out watching her go! Here's a smile to all the care takers, dads, moms, folks busting it out every day taking care of loved ones, home and critters-heart!
Gotta get busy myself- have a great day!

Bell, that blond beauty is a beauty but can be so mean and snappy. His nickname is Radar aka Grumpy Snapdragon...... He is smallest one of critters but so onery.
Arejay, you hearts are great. I love the different colors.
Even a rose can be a weed if it is not wanted. Beautiful weeds.
Hugs to all....

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

OK, taking your advice Bell and taking a little breather for a minute. That bathroom is 100% complete, YAAYYYY!!! Everything scrubbed, vanity-top and floor sealed twice, all the "goodies" moved back in from the hall bath. DH is gonna be soooooo happy when he gets home, gonna try to save it as a surprise for him. =)

Robin, I found that photo a little while ago... somewhere on the web, don't remember now where. Anyway, it just cracked me up so much I had to save it! I wish it had "come out" better when you click on it.. the top reads "Like you've never come home..." and then the bottom says "Wearing a potted plant". I don't know why but that cracks me up to no end!

My Mamma in Law is one of those caregivers, has had Grammy living with her for ... gosh, probably near 30 years now. Now Grammy is 93 and is finally starting to "show" it. That caregiver roll is hard (LOVING) work!!! I will pass along your loving sentiments to her, she will really appreciate it!

Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Grumpy snapdragon- sooo funny! (Still too cute!). Glad your taking a breather Speedie. RJ is sending me pencil to help label thank goodness! Needed that for sure! The baby boys family stepped in, good for him. We just patiently wait for our little blessing to come:) Just got the news, but they are reassured it should be less than year to wait, so who knows! I just heard about meteor in Russia, how unreal was that? Hope you all have nice afternoon.

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Someone ate all the Valentine chocolates and we spent the evening with the vet.

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella
Hayden, AL(Zone 8b)

Uh oh, Nola! Same thing happened to my father-in-law's schnauzer, but it was a whole Easter basket (must have been fake and full of paraffin because he was no worse for the wear)! Looks like Ridesredmule and me are not the only two with naughty dogs:). Glad yours was okay, I've heard real chocolate is rough!
Picture of Francesca' - my naughtiest dog! Don't let the cute face fool you! :)

Thumbnail by Bellsp
Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Bells, it's a good thing they're so cute!

I planted in my tuberose bulbs today in a pot underneath some lavender - lavender never makes it past May in this heat for me, so I'm hoping their good scented awesomeness works together in a pot. It looks like a mess now, but why not try it! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.