Whats on Your "Gotta Have" List

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm looking for something new and different, lets hear whats on your gotta have list for next year and why.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Perennial's:
poppies
pulmonaria (lots)
loadlily
etc,etc..........

Hosta:
revolution
bubba
spiltmilk
stained glass
titanic
sagae
obsession
medusa
out house delight
all the lakeside hosta

Oh my I almost forgot,
1 medium size greenhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess this should keep me busy for a few weeks!!!!!
sue

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I only have one thing that I'm actively trying to find at a reasable price,and that's peonies. Red, White, Pink and Fuschia. My mom used to have some in the yard I grew up in, so I think I need some just for nostalgia's sake if nothing else. Mom used to hate them though, because of the ants. It's funny, but I often find myself trying to re-create the yard I played in as a child. I think I'm reverting back into my second childhood or something. LOL
Joan

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Tall Pin Cushion
Azure Monkhood
Cow Herb
Why? Because I am running out of room so to fill my last space in my yard I surfed everyones journals and made an informed choice as to what would grow best in those area's with the longest blooms and the proper colors.

This message was edited Thursday, Nov 1st 9:15 AM

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

I would love to get American Beautyberry - the purplish/pink one.

My neighbor got a big one two years ago for $3.00 at a yard sale. I'm kicking myself for not buying it (I saw it first). Then, a few weeks ago, she went out and purchased another one, not as big, for $40.00. It will be a while before I can pay that much.

Anyone know how easy they are to root from cuttings?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

MORE TIME AND WARM WEATHER!!! =]

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I'm with notmartha!!

"eyes"

Valley Falls, NY(Zone 5a)

TREES! And, More trees! My obsession with the,ever-so-lovely & addicting shade plants, has left me with NO more room.Must have more shade.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

enough energy to keep mine all weeded, enough mulch to help with the after effects of first wish, a little more rain in July and August, and no mosquitos. I know, you meant plants, but I've been so blessed this year from Daver's, that I really honestly don't need anything in that department. (don't remind me I said that when I want to trade!!)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Chinese rhubarb! I really want this one.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Rodgersia pinata. It was a favorite of Victorians (who liked odd-ball plants), and gets kinda big. But it's very pretty.

I obtained some seeds for the 'Superba' variety from a DG'er last year, so before the annual "seeding rush" begins, I'm starting them, along with my other "cranky seeds" (you know, the ones that need coaxing to germinate?) Some of these will wind up in a winter sowing experiment, while their counterparts will go through the exact prescribed cold/warm periods.

If they germinate, it'll be a year or two before they're ready to plant in the garden, but that's okay. I can wait :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Phaison Canna and some grow lights and shelves for all the wonderful seeds I got in trade! I have only done a very few things from seed and am crossing my fingers that I will have good luck with all these new ones. I am in the process of convincing DH to turn the dining room into a grow light area for seedlings for the winter so that come spring I can have hundreds of new babies for the garden. He is resisting the idea but I know I can wear him down soon!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Zany, my DH was convinced when he saw the savings, especially on perennials. It was "Gee honey, I could plant 12 plants for a couple bucks investment in postage, dirt and plastic flats OR, I could BUY 12 plants for $4 apiece." My DH is an accountant, so that kind of cost savings appealed to him.

(And then there was the fact that I kinda sorta just DID it without asking, and begged forgiveness later. :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

right now-hoya's and rex begonias!
next week-it will most likely be something new!

Salpiglossis Gloomy Rival - I've wanted this one for a while and never get round to ordering it so I'm sending off my order tomorrow.

There are so many things I'd love to have in the garden, far too many to list. I lost quite a few last year in the wet winter we had ... yes I know this is the UK and we are supposed to have a lot of rain but last year took some beating!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Go_Vols He'll come around, he always does! If not I'll set the shelves up in the den between his recliner and the TV! He just feels this need to say no every now and then even though he knows it just means he will have to do more of the setting up work later to make up for not saying yes to begin with! You see in our marriage he is the boss and the head of the family...that entitles him to do it MY way....!

This message was edited Monday, Nov 26th 3:42 AM

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Any color plumeria but especially red. And peonies,any color.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

That dark purple monarda that I saw posted this summer, artichokes for my veggy garden,more variegated stuff....And a ........GREENHOUSE!!!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

having grown in the orient - where we wear fresh flowers in lieu of wearing perfume. i am somewhat nostalgic and dreams to have the following plants:

Ilang-ilang ... http://mgonline.com/ylang-ylang.html http://www.uog.edu/cals/site/POG/cananga.html

champaca ... http://mgonline.com/michele.html http://organic-essentialoils.com/champa.html

patchouli ... http://www.pointoflight.com/departments/Patchouli.html
http://www.mardi.my/bdc/herba/english/Patchouli.html
http://www.mardi.my/bdc/herba/english/Patchouli.html

Waling-waling ... white flower with utmost fragrance, none showing in the internet of the real waling-waling i once new of. http://madeinthephilippines.com/homepage/sampaguita.html
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Study/6779/vandastory.htm

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

MaVie
I have a small patchouli plant that a very special person gave to me this fall. I'll try to root some cuttings for you. It smells sooooo good!!!

This message was edited Saturday, Dec 8th 7:41 AM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

oh Jody! u don't know how much that means to me. am lost for words, all i could say is Thank U so much!!! u're not kidding when u said the smell is good! the scent is heavenly!!!

am really lost for words! will write u soon & send u priority stamp & my address. i know it will take time, & will patiently wait... to once again enjoy the presence of patchouli in my life. ma vie

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

MaVie, I have been looking for something special for you for a long time. I just found 5 seeds of ylang ylang on ebay and bought them. As soon as they get here, I'm sending them to you.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

oh my God!!! ALL u people warms my heart! can't help but cry! cry tears of joy!!! YOU guys do not how much this means to me, specially at a time like this.

writing, responding to u guys on this forum, is NOT base on dramatic feelings. what i am expressing, each time i make a post is the REAL inner feelings etched in my heart. as u read each word i express, is no different from hearing me speak in person! I AM a real person, with very REAL feelings!

some of u may not understand about my sensitivity to everything... allow me to briefly explain. i lost my home, my garden, my everything due to an abusive relationship of 25 yrs. in doing so, i also break family ties for very personal reasons, with the exception of my youngest son - who helps me float on these trying times. i am barely rebuilding my life over again, slowly but surely. although numerous tragedies has struck my life, i try my best to get up from the very ground i fell on... after all, God has given me a new slate in life.

when i posted on this thread, i was merely expressing, dreaming of something i once had, but those were just dreams ... never expecting or anticipating to even get a respond. i am overwhelmed and deeply touched!

tiG... u do not have to buy those ilang-ilang, not that i do not appreciate the thoughts. it has never been easy for me to ask, as i have always been a giver most of life, hardly on the recieving end. tig... i'd be more than happy if u can spare a cutting of brugs. that would be deeply appreciated. ma vie

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

they're already bought paid for and in the mail to me:) And with them will come one of the best of the brugs I have. It's sure a great feeling to make you smile.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

MaVie
So glad to see you smiling! It shouldn't take too long, from what I understand it roots pretty easily, and if not, the person that gave it to me could probably get more. I'll be in touch for your address.
Jody

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

U guys are AWESOME!!! to say Thank You is not even enough to express my gratitude & how truly i feel. i mean that from the very core of my heart.

furthermore, i am deeply touch by the warmth, friendly & family atmosphere DG forum has to offer. i have been to one too many garden forums, this is the first & only one, i am aware of, whose members are a group of beautiful, down to earth people.

i am not pious or religious person, but i have faith, strong belief & faith in God. HE truly does wonders! life is truly funny in a lot of ways. i was once quiet, a mere observer on this forum until one day Alhanks, pulled the trigger to have me open up and express the feelings locked up for so many years. an eye opener i would say, but i am glad. glad in so many ways because i can share knowledge i gained in life, if not the gardening pros & con i've been through.

kudo's to both Dave & Trish for having such a wonderful forum for all people in different walks of life. there could not be a better "HOME" than this one!!! people who knew me personally often ask me, why i never refer to my house before as a home. it would not be easy for me to refer to a structure as a home, unless i can really feel the warmth & love within that structure. this forum is indeed my Home away from home.

Thank You EVERYONE!!! U are all beautiful, thoughtful & loving!!! i have finally found a home! ma vie

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Happy for u find a home your own and freedom =]..Peaceful~

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I found the champaca seeds just now, and they should be on the way soon.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

thx RedRose ;).

thank you tiG!!! i am so overwhelmed. can't thank you enough!!! one thing though, when those seeds come, i will plant them. soon as i get the seedlings to be strong & sturdy, i will see to it that i send u some of the seedlings. i think that is but fair. between the two of us, maybe me can, in the future learn how to propagate them through cuttings and share it with everyone who'd be interested to grow them. could u just imagine, we can save our pocket book from buying perfume.... hehehehehehehehe!!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wouldn't that be wonderful.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

that would be great!!! reading the thread on 'what perfume do u like?', i could hardly believe so many people being allergic to perfume. i guess, i have been blessed, & that my immune system is accustomed to fragrance, it never bothered me. anyway, wearing fresh flowers, would be better than wearing something with chemical enhancement. i just hope they will not be allergic to fresh flowers too???

ohhh tiG... the two of us will have an adventure next year in planting these two variety. can u tell i am getting excited here? oh yeah... i wish i could bribe Mother Nature to raise her magic wand, change the weather over night! LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.