Outhouses

Brillion, WI

I have a cabin up in northern Wisconsin that has an outhouse fairly close to the cabin. It's basically what greets you when you drive in. For years I've bugged the hubby to get rid of the eyesore even tho I was told numerous times it was grandfathered in and you never know if you'd need to use it. (My reply was if so, I'm outta here). We've been using it as my "yard barn."

Then one day I was watching a gardening show and it featured all these outhouses that people had saved and "fixed up." That's all it took. I was on a mission. This past summer I reroofed it and planned to paint it green and white to match the cabin. Well, after I cleared out all the stuff we'd accumulated using it as a yard barn I was so dismayed to find that it could pretty easily be put back into use, i.e., the floor does not continue towards the back. Then, when I'd cleaned out the brush out behind it I found there was missing wood. Seems this outhouse has a drive thru, or reach thru. Anyway, after I got the roof done (which is basically all that's holding it up) I lost most of my enthusiasm.

So here's where I need your help. I'm thinking I'll just grow flowers and vines all over it and continue to use it for rakes, etc. I need ideas on what to do to camouflage it. I thought of window boxes down the side but I'm not sure it will support them. You basically see the door and one side which are basically northwest. The "open" back is facing south but there's thick woods so basically no sun. I thought a vine back there would be great but I'm not sure what would grow in dense shade. I wish I had a picture of it but we always made sure it never appeared in our photos. Any ideas? I know there's traditional flowers for outhouses (highly perfumed). I'll try to post a pic in a couple months when the snow goes down.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!