Pachypodium saundersii

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

This one is now round 10-12 years old, that is a 25cm width pot...still a close friend and much loved plant, and been in more regions than most of my other plants, so well travelled too! Hehe

Thumbnail by Little_things
Decatur, GA

Nice and compact.

Yes, those side branches will become longer, but I like it as is for now.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Inspirational.

Mine are very squat and compact, too. One of them is out in the rain right now as it has just started to leaf out.

I love the way the southern hemisphere gives us northerners live peeks of plants in other seasons. These plants don't seem to do much until summer comes, far as I can tell. Mine are quite slow, I think I don't water them enough. But I'm not in a hurry.

What's your watering schedule like in that pot right now?

Very easy - water when he has leaves, full sun, no leaves no water no sun

They stand in the open, so they get rainwater but also get watered 1x week, except if it rained well (rain also varies).

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Does yours ever bloom LT?

Not yet, but this may be as a result of many things, including us moving 4 times and the plant not always in the best positions. I never feed it, so maybe if I give it more love it will send some back. It really does just tick along on its own, I just make sure it stays relatively dry in winter.

Here's lil' fatty just leafing out for the season. Growing max hard with SW exposure, pretty much full-day sun this time of year, winter rain if it comes at a good time. 5" pot.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Looks like a twin! Hehe

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, after seeing LT's plant I had to get one. Unfortunately I could only afford a small one. It's about 2 inches tall and planted in S-H in a regular plastic pot. It has started to get a leaf so I'm hopeful it is alive and strong.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Nice, it sometimes grows a single stem, but with time it starts to grow side stems as above 2. Mine had a head-to-head with a large hailstone and lost, so the central point got damaged, but no issues, in fact I would have clipped it in any case.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Probably the hailstone did you a favor! It's a nice plant.

The Pachys do respond to fertilizer, which is part of the recipe for S/H, so you should see good growth in the summer. I would give your plant some protection for a while but be careful not to leave it in low light during its main growth spurt or it may end up with long arms. They can certainly be clipped but they can also be avoided. There is a forma compacta of this plant which has superior proportions (in my opinion) and a blobbier look overall.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Baja. I'm definitely looking forward to nice growth this summer.

What's your setup there in Arizona for plants that like summer sun? I imagine it can be pretty brutal.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

In summer, I keep plants that "like sun" on the east side of my house where they get morning sun. Some of them I make a tent of 50% shade cloth because, even with morning sun, they burn. In the winter, I move many of them to a south facing patio where they get more sun. That is why I have to keep most plants in pots so I can move them. I am also trying now to find plants that can take really strong sun, like some of the aloes from places like Saudi Arabia or Oman.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.