I planted this peony last year, and the tag got lost

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I asked some peony growers which peony this might be, or even if they knew a plant resembling this one. It has completely vanished in my yard, and I am keeping my fingers crossed it will regrow this year. I am in 9B or Sunset 16, so I might be a bit too warm for them.

Please tell me if you have seen this peony before. It blooms profusely with fragrant flowers. When the blooms fade, the frizz inside mellows a lot.

I cannot vouch for when it is supposed to bloom, I bought it in summer while it had buds already. I don't know where the plant was grown, so the period of flowering doesn't get related to my area.

Thanks for looking.
Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Leacock-Leola-Barevi, PA(Zone 6b)

Your peony picture looks a lot like Peony "Do Tell" hybridized by Auten. While I was looking for peonies to buy last fall, I remembered seeing this peony. I wanted to buy it but my budget did not allow it. Congrats on owning a really lovely peony. Hope that you have a lot of blooms this season.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's what my Do Tell peonies look like after getting lots of sun to bleach the blossoms and while they are only planted for one year.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Kansas City, MO

Not Do Tell, RosemaryK. I do like the way yours fade.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. The pink faded to white in their second year, too.

Leacock-Leola-Barevi, PA(Zone 6b)

Or I maybe wrong. Maybe it is not Do Tell. Can it be Prairie Afire? I bought Prairie Afire last fall so I have not seen its bloom.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are images Of DoTell that I took in Sarah P. Duke Gardens in North Carolina. They were labeled. They look just like your peony, Mrs. C.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Donna, here are two more photo's I dug up the second year I had the peony in the ground. I had knee surgery last summer, so I am certain I didn't plant it last summer. It shows they bloomed in May. I have photo of the fairly young bloom relaxing in the middle and the faded bloom showing the inside totally.
Thanks for your help, Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What lovely pictures you take! I really love them. Your peonies are somewhat "spent" and most people don't take pics of them at that point. Maybe we should! The one on the left looks oddly familiar, and the one on the right is clearly a white single, Perhaps a japanese, or anemone style peony. Does that ring a bell?

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Donna, all the pictures I posted in this thread are the same peopny! I like to make pictures at different phases to remember what I like! Christie

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! I didn't realize that Do Tell aged that way! I would have sworn that they were completely different peonies!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I found the tag, it was buried near the rim of the bed, and it is Do Tell! It was grown by Monrovia http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3135/do-tell-peony.php
Thanks for all your help id'ing it. And it has sprouted an inch tip in bright red, I am happy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.