Urethral Blockage in Male Cat`

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

I have a 4 year old neutered male cat who has had several episodes of partial urinary tract blockage. This time it is not resolving as it should. The vet has done cultures & it is a sterile blockage with no infection. The medications to relax the urinary tract, that have worked in the past, are not helping. He has been at the vets office since last Friday. He has been passing small amounts of urine but not what he should . She was giving him IV fluids but he started to leak fluid into the abdomen and she had to stop. She catherized him yesterday morning and had trouble passing the catheter right at the entrance to the bladder. She has indicated that we should consider surgery to restructure the urinary tract and "make him pee like a girl" is how she put it. I have heard pros & cons regarding this surgery. I have heard that it frequently causes the cat to lose control over its' bladder & become incontinent. I would find this hard to live with. Has anyone had any experience with this type of surgery? Palmbob - any ideas?

This thread has 33 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!