Mistake or not? Foundation evergreens

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello, everyone! We had some work done on our home which required ripping up all of our foundation shrubs (shreek!) I have spent TONS of time planning my largest foundation bed just to get the first row in the ground and question myself. Long story short, from left to right, I have an Ever Red Lorepetulum planted on the corner of my house, then a Paul's Gold Mop Cypress, 4 Woodwardi Globe Arborvitaes and a tall upright conical juniper. There will, of course, be several "rows" of plantings of shorter shrubs and perennials in front of that back row, but here is the dilemma: Did I make a mistake planting the arborvitaes and maybe even the mop cypress at the back of the border? They are supposed to grow to 5 feet, approximately which seems right to me and they are medium growth, but is this wishful thinking that it won't take forever for them to get to be a decent size? Nothing else is planted in front right now, so if I need to rectify this, I still can. I was thinking about putting "Gold Coast" English Hollies in their place, then moving the Arborvitaes up (although not sure they wouldn't be lost against the hollies, even though they are variagated--I like contrasting foilage colors, typically.) I have a one-story brick ranch home, so nothing for these guys to get lost against, I just want to make the best decision now and not have to move them forward later. Thanks for any advice!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I should probably keep my mouth shut because I am FAR from skilled here.

Pictures of the whole thing would make it easier to visualize.

Bear in mind, things that look too spaced out at first, you will be grateful later when you are not fighting to keep them smaller than they want to be.

I like my Gold Mops, they are about five feet tall now , two planted close together, and together much wider than five feet. at least ten years old, could be fifteen +. I'm now trying not to let them be taller.

That seems like a LOT of stuff to be planted in front of a rancher, covering up nice brick. BUT I am not good at visualizing.

There is a forum called Landscaping or something, which seems more active as far as planning foundation plantings ...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

THis forum-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/landscaping/all/
is more active in critiquing plantings like this

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much for your input!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.