growing flowers for a wedding!

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Hello!

Has anyone ever grown flowers for a wedding around here? Have any tips? Im going to grow some flowers for for my sisters wedding on June 29th. She loves lime greens with saturated oranges, yellows, red, pinks. I think we should put a little dark blue too. I've never gardened with a deadline before! Here are some things i'm considering.

Delphinium - wild form
Geums
Alonsoa
papaver 'falling in love'
Bells of Ireland?
euphorbia?
Snapdragons
german catch fly 'red'
coreopsis tinctoria
cheirianthus x allionii
cosmos 'orange'
sunflower?
red sweet peas
anchusa azurea?
baby tomatillos
agrostemma

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Many of the plants you have listed are perennials and if you don't already have them growing and established they won't produce much if planted now for a wedding at the end of June.
IF June in Santa Cruz is anything like it is here, down south of you, there may not be much in bloom due to the "June Gloom" phenomenon since most spring bloomers will be done by then and the summer things haven't started yet.
You may have luck with sunflowers, snapdragons, sweet peas and agrostemma if you plant them ASAP.
Marigolds (even though you don't have them on your list) would work and grow fast enough by then, too...maybe even Zinnias, as might Larkspur and Delphimium belladonna.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.