What's blooming and growing - February 2013

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thought I would start a new thread for pics and chit-chat, since we are in to February now.

We are coming from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292539/

I finally got one of the plants I have been wanting for so long!
Sinningia Gabriel's Horn sport
I love the colors on the sport!

Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Here are a few of my other gessies...

Pearcea abunda
Another view of Sinn. Gabriel's Horn sport

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And of course, some streps...

Bristol's Mello Jello
DS-Beloved
DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox
Geronimo
Nerys

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And some more...

A double image of DS-Polar Summer... my newest color-changing strep... day one and day four
Eva
TSF-Zhizel
An odd bloom on DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox... split face

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Karen your plants are just stunning!

Lynn

Sanbornton, NH

I have to agree with Lynn, Karen. Great looking plants and the photography is superb. Thanks for sharing and brightening up a winter afternoon.

Earle

South, TX

Lovely blooms. I need to start taking photos again.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautfiful blooms as always !!! I've got a couple that I'll be taking pictures of and sharing with you in a couple of days once they fully open.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Those streps are to die for! Very nice sinningia and the other cute gessie, totally new to me. Her leaves look so soft...

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pix, Karen!

I've got a few pix . . . will wait for the lights to come on on the plant stand, so the lighting will be better.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful way to start a Feb. thread!! Great photography :)

Connie

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Good morning group,
awesome pictures Karen.Love,love,love LF Artic Fox.I wonder with the 2 differnt flowers is it unstable?

Jan

Jan...

I've had my plant for almost a year now, and I am only now seeing some broken color like the second photo. I did have one leaf to bloom with solid red, but I removed it.

Karen

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Interesting,you did the right thing taking the red flower leaf off, just like a variegated strep growing a plain green leaf,but that one little flower puzzles me.To much plant thinking I guess ^_^

Jan

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

They are georgious Blooms!~!!

Jan...
This one's for you!

This is my S. Wow plant as of this morning... potted up the way I described to you.
Plant was potted up in September, and had four leaves and no blooms on it.

Karen

This message was edited Feb 9, 2013 2:38 PM

Here's a bloom detail...

Gasp!

OK... I see that when you try to edit a post, you can't add a photo after the fact...
Sorry!

Here is the whole plant as mentioned above...

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

WOW will make you say WOW!! It is a looker for sure :)

Connie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow. That thing is healthy and the flowers are stunning

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I picked up a couple of new AV on Sat.
I think I will check out a different Nursery this week. Just in the mood for a little shopping.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

The second AV looks just like my Tiger-in-question....

Karen, that strep is incredible!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They didn't have any name on them just the basic AV. I sure wish more of them were named. They came from a good nursery and I expect those types of shops to have better ID's than when you pick them up in a big box store.
I sure do agree, that strep is incredible!!!!

Very pretty Holly! Optimara has stopped putting labels in most of their pots.Also,you could ask the nursery who they order from.
Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

WOW is a beauty Karen!!!!

That's amazing, only 5 months to get your plant that big, PLEASE teach me how to grow these plants.I've killed so many.

HollyAnnS,Your Av;s are beautiful,plants don't needs a name when there that pretty,I wish I could find plants like that around my area cause they would be living at my house any day

Jan

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We are lucky to have several very nice and good sized nurseries in our area. I don't have to depend on big box stores but I do find a lot of nice plants at both the Lowes and HD in our area. I find that our local Lowes has wonderful succulents and 3 of my AV came from the discount rack at Lowes. They were pretty rough when I got them but look really nice now.

We have tons of nurseries here and also HD,Lowes and Wal-Mart,but they never mark anything down....well,just outdoor mostly dead plants.

Nice AVs Holly!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

1st and 2nd pics -- 'UGLY GIRL x (Zu x Mother's Day x self) x self'
3rd -- 'CALIFORNIA GOLD x S. leucotricha'

Not blooming now but I wanted to share how easy it was to grow Sinningias from seed and get them to bloom.

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice sinningias Maria.
I wish Optimara would start to put labels on their plants again. I buy from a local nursery and the plants come named with the Holtkamp label but when you buy directly from the Selective Gardner website, they only scribble the name on the pot. Not very professional.
Here are some photos of my growing shelves and B Man's Taormina in bloom.
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

very nice.

Jan

Your shelves look very nice Chiqui!

Beautiful Sinn.s Maria!

Sisters...

S. Batik and S. Spin Art

Eva... more open now
TSF-Zhizel
Watermelon Wine
DS-Polar Summer... with another bloom open, you can really see the color change now

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Seemania purpurascens... roots I think
Waiting for word back from G-philes on whether to bury them when I re-pot

I like to do macro photography...
And I love the fuzzy red hairs on Pearcea abunda...

So I took some photos of guttation on the Pearcea leaves

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Beautiful pictures everyone and Karen I love your photography!

As far as those aerial propagules go,they can be buried or just laid on top of damp mix and covered with a dome.They will make tons of new plants.I once neglected Medusa until it looked like Cousin It.

Thumbnail by lbrabec

".... Cousin It."
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!
It really does!!!

Well I was new to Seemania and I didn't know what the heck was going on.Since it was Medusa I thought maybe it was supposed to have a bunch of snaky things on top.Also,now I know it didn't need all that humidity,.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.