Anybody tried Pleiones?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone tried growing Pleiones? I'm interested in terrestrials, as they seem to adapt to my garden conditions pretty well.

Before I invest in them, I thought I should get opinions, if any, from this wonderful panel of experts and enthusiasts we have here.

I discovered them on offer from my favorite bulb catalog for a pretty reasonable price and am so tempted. They have 4 types available, formosana, formosana 'Tongariro', forrestii (a yellow!), and limprichtii.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think Ursula grows them. There is an occasional poster, Goldfish. She has not posted in a long time but she has posted flower beds full of them. Can't recall off hand but she is somewhere in Asia. China?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I've since done a bit more research, and I think they're another that really needs cooler summer temps than we have here. Sounds like they'd do great up in the Pac NW.

Also the flowers appear before there are leaves, or just as the leaves are emerging, so while they're pretty, I'm not as enamored of the idea as I was.

I'll continue to struggle with Cymbidiums and not branch out into yet another cool-lover for now.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Laurel, I do grow Bletillas outside in my garden, and they do well for me.
Unfortunately the only Pleione I picked up some years ago, did not live to long in my hands, sorry.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, there you have it, Elaine. I was going to mention from what I know of Pleiones, which is not much, they need cool weather.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep, if we get deported back to Canada I might try them, but I don't think that's happening any time soon!

Thanks, folks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.