What's going on here?!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Here is what I found today on my Monarch Journey. Seems like every flower's getting some kind of growth in it. I removed the dried petals and it looks like tiny leaves started to grow there. Anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas?

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Gosh Maria,I don't know.One picture looks like it is making a seed pod.
Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Weird..Can you post it on gfiles?,the experts will tell you what it is.

Jan

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Sorry Jan, what's gfiles?

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

gfiles is a worldwide online gesneriad group,everyone growing this plant family should join it (just my opinion).I learn so from them I also love seeing the pictures of different plants everyone.You just sign up and you will get the email.I think to post a picture it has to be on the small side.I would be interesting to see what they say.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/gesneriphiles

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jan, I'm officially a member now. What a great group, will be busy for a while! but sending my post first. Anybody else posting there?

I am.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I have known about the group for a good while but was never given a link to join. Thanks!!

Connie

Hope to see you there Sis!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

I posted but haven't seen my post yet. It's either takes time or I did something wrong... Also went through some archives but could see no pictures at all. So nice to see a few members from Ohio posting though

Maria,
You are on mediation for a little while.That means one of the people that run the site needs to approve your messages first.Most of the groups do that.It should show up soon.Most of the pictures are in the emails you receive.
Lynn

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Lynn. I just received an email about rejecting my post with "no reason given". I did contact admin to get the details. I'm afraid I didn't do it right.

It was probably the pictures.They have a strict size limit.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hay! Another new member! You to Connie?

You can ask Jim or Thad about your message,they are both monitors,the picture size can only be 125 KP (whatever that means) I hope you get time to read some of the older archives.theres lots of info there.

Jan

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It is unusual...
I agree that the longest formation looks like the beginning of a seedpod.

Karen

I love G-philes too...
If anyone can answer, it will be there!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

You're right, Lynn, it's the picture. I do need some help to make the size right, waiting for some directions... Like the discussion, very interesting!

Maria, if you are still having trouble with the picture resizing, you can send them to me and I will make them small enough for g-philes and send them back to you. I am at work now, but if you would like me to do this, send me a d-mail and I will give you my regular email address for you to send the photos to. As soon as I get home this evening, I will resize them and send them right back to you.

Glad to help!
Karen

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Karen!!!!! sending dmail

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

It took Karen's help and another 3 emails to get it done!!!! lol But well worth the efforts, here is the answer:

Irina N:
It is a baby plant. I do not think it is from seeds, but from cells of seed pod "skin". Sometimes you see so called "baskets" - plantlets growing out of the sleeping buds on the flowering stem, sometimes - plants growing on the back of the leaf you put down - AV or streps. But you have something different - plantlets growing on the outside of the seedpods

Hope to get even more details!

Glad you got your answer Maria!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the guidance, ladies. Chances are it will be possible to root when bigger! probably several months from now?..... For some reason I had not much luck with strep leaves so far, would be funny to propagate a plant from a seedpod.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Please keep us updated! It's very interesting.

If that was my plant, I think I would try to lay that stem down somehow and let those babies root like a episcia stolen.Or try to put some moss under the babies.But that's just me,I like to experiment.LOL.

Theres more good reading about gesneriads from this newletter

http://www.gesneriadsociety.org/gleanings/gleanings2012.htm

Jan

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

I'll watch it for a while and will share the news. I was thinking about layering too but wondered what would happen to possible seed development? There are 8 flowers total and each one seems to have the same growth. So it would make sense to try 1 or 2.

Thanks for the link, Jan!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.