Coffee Break # 92

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Coming from here ~ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293985/#top
Coffee's on, muffins are in the oven, come sit a spell. ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Robin I meant to mention how much I like the fairy picture, your Grandkids will love it!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice thread starter for GroundHogs day.
DD and I have the whole 3r Season of Downton Abby to watch today.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 7:37 AM

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't pay attention to the Groundhog...I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it! LOL

I like Downtown Abby. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The GH is such a commercial venture now .It hardly matters that he is supposed to predict spring.He sure missed the mark last year.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I think he does most years! LOL

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

It is a groundhog - what do you really expect? LOL!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

To be at least as accurate as the meteorologists

Hey - that isn't fair to the GroundHog 'cause those guys (and gals) are hardly ever right!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

:-)

East Bridgewater, MA

I hope that's a photo of a muffin with MAINE blueberries !!!

Yes, I can tell the difference in taste, not just the size; if you mush up a cup of Maine blueberries, and mush up New Jersey blueberries, I can distinguish them, blindfolded.

All blueberries are great, but have subtle differences; love 'em all !

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Pixie......I have to go with my son's blueberries!

East Bridgewater, MA

Like childhood meatloaf, or apple variety favorites: it's what we have "cultivated" a taste for over the years.

A visit to the West Coast, many years ago, educated me to local variances: I grew up in SE Massachusetts, so Dunkin Donuts is now a coffee "gene" I shall probably carry to the grave.

The "Seattle" coffee left me nonplussed.

(For the record, their coffee is probably much better; I'm a floundering philistine, in oh-so-many things...)

I can't help but add a final observation: it's been backed up by science, that West Coast seafood tends to be very mild, almost flavorless, compared to East Coast. The Northeast coast has colder water, and higher salinity.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

When was GH day not commercial?!!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

65 years ago when I was a kid.

East Bridgewater, MA

A memo from groundhogs, everywhere:

To those who don't like me, jus' 'cause I'm wandering around the ground:

Hey, just b'cuz I got brown hair, and buck teeth, that's no reason to label me "commercial"; I stand up (sort of) for my rodent heritage.

So what, if I'm dentally challenged, and have "hog" as part of my name ?!?

(Human snobs...)

hahaha

Thomaston, CT

Chuckles, the CT groundhog, is very cute.....

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Jo, i'm glad you clarified the hardiness of my trailing rosemary! I will still bring it, but it will stay in a sunny window in our CT condo next year when we go to FL. My son has been watering several coleus for me that we left there. They seem fine, and he seems to enjoy keeping them going. I told him it was no big deal if we lose them, as they would have died in NH, but he enjoys that kind of challenge. 🍀

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a good way to keep it going.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

DD and I watched a Downton Abby marathon yesterday.Season 3.10 hours.I cant believe I stayed awake that long.

No spoiler me,just to say for fans,it doesnt disappoint.

Oh, I so agree with you Jo. It's become my favorite show.

Thomaston, CT

Have never seen it....may have to tune in.

There's a Downton Abbey marathon that will run all day today so that people can catch up to the new episode tonight!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

When does it start? It was promoted on the PBS radio here.
We have to watch something tasteful while the superbowl is on.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Everyone keeps talking about Downton Abbey I may have to check it out, there is even a v-day card I saw that references the show

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 6:57 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

If you are a romantic you will get hookd.

Yeah, me too.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Great show! We also like Call the Midwife, another wartime British series, but it only comes on sporadically. Foyles War is another really good British wartime detective series. Can you tell we love the British series? I really look forward to Downton every week. I'm afraid it just won't be the same after Lady Violet dies. Maggie Smith is awesome!

Seems like it was on for hours already. The newest one starts in 5 minutes.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I rented Foyles War and loved it. Michael Kitchen is a fav of mine.
Prime Suspect series with Helen Miren too.I would need to go to Netflix to find all the Brit series I watched.
There was a revival of Upstairs Downstairs with almost the original cast. I rented the first disc and sent back the rest It was awful.

We really loved As Time Goes By with Judi Dench.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I tried to access my Netflix rental history and couldnt find stuff.
I also love the Brit detective and crime shows.Very clever.

Amazing how the Brits are fine with using older actors while here you are done in your 30's!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The age group who buy here dictate the taste. Thats why not a day goes by that there isnt an incendiary of some kind on a TV show or a Zombie ( ho-hum) The people who produce this krap aim at the Lowest Common De hence referred to as LCD.denominator.

The Brits engage our brains in their subtext. There is a dud from them from time to time but not many.
Downton Abby is written by Julian Fellows who acts and writes.He has an ancestral connection to Highclear Hall where the program is filmed.His family story is interwoven in the series.
I doubt an American would do that unless it was Harper Lee who wrote"ToKill a Mockingbird" a classic.

Thomaston, CT

Books written by British authors among my favorites....PD James, Peter Robinson, & Elly Griffiths.....when I was a kid I reread Enid Blyton's mystery adventure books over & over........

The older Downton Abby shows can be rented here

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70213223?strkid=1841385395_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70213223

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I confess I bought the first 2 seasons as well as the 3rd season.DD and I watches all of season 3 in one sitting on Sat.10 hours.I had no idea I could stay awake that long.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You can watch season 1 and 2 for free if you have an amazon prime subscription

There were a number of very good commercials this year. Liked the farm one, the Jamaican accent, the prom, the Stevie Wonder ones and the GoPro.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.