Seeds 2013 Whatcha growing??

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's almost seed starting time and for some us.... we just can't wait!!
I started some coleus today as they are easy and won't need grow lights or direct sunlight when bigger.

Wizard Coral Sunset
Wizard Scarlet
Wizard Pineapple
Wizard Golden
Superfine Festive Dancer
Superfine Salmon Lace
Sonatina Scarlet Yellow
Black Dragon
Chocolate Splash

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Thomaston, CT

I went to Ocean State & bought seeds today.....cosmos, poppies, & zinnias.....they are for my 'Sprinkle Seeds & Hope For the Best' garden! I do have seeds I need to start indoors, but I haven't gone there yet.....maybe in another week.....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice list of coleus Celeste! I haven't started mine yet, was just thinking about the coleus though, since last year they took so long to do anything.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Robin, I went a few weeks ago (Ocean J.L.) and they didn't have seeds out yet, but I bet they will soon.

Thanks Ronnie, I hate to say it but I have more. I don't know if i'll plant them all or not....it's all Allison's fault. ^_^

These are the seeds disc I purchased last year and sent some to Allison. She had great results with them, but have you ever seen her with a bad basket??? NO
Anyways, I went and searched out the man I bought from last year and asked if he had more. He did and of course I, now do. ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hmmm I like the seed discs...I have been trying to restrain myself from ordering...fingers are getting itchy though! I've been eying up yellow cactus zinnia seeds at summerhill, they seem to be the only source for the single color. I have a nice lilac one I got off eBay in the fall thought they would look pretty together.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ronnie is Summerhill a good seed source?Nevermind, I think I have ordered from them now that I see the coleus pages. LOL

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 7:29 AM

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Celeste they aren't one of my favorites but I've been satisfied with my stuff. Not great portions but who needs 100 seeds anyway!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I get some great seeds from Swallowtail Gardens. When I really want good germination on something, I'll pay the price here.

Thomaston, CT

I've never seen the seed discs......

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Just ordered these at Summerhill...off to Swallowtail then I'm done!

Zinnia Red Spider
Zinnia Giant Cactus Yellow
Snapdragon Twinny Peach
Impatiens Athena Appleblossom
Impatiens Athena Bright Purple
Datura Yellow Ballerina
Coleus Versa Rose to Lime
Coleus Emotions Passionate
Coleus Giant Exhibition Scarlet Magma
Coleus Emotions Playful
Coleus Black Dragon

Nice list, Ronnie. It'll produce a riot of color!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Awesome list!! Allison grew 'Emotions Passionate' last year and was in love with it!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My hands are done itching for a while! This is what I ordered from Swallowtail...

CLEOME, VIOLET QUEEN
COLEUS, VERSA CRIMSON GOLD
COLEUS, WIZARD CORAL SUNRISE
COLEUS, WIZARD PINEAPPLE
COLEUS, WIZARD SUNSET
MORNING GLORY, FLYING SAUCERS
MORNING GLORY, IMPERIAL FORMULA MIX
PORTULACA, MARGARITA APRICOT
PORTULACA, MARGARITA CREAM

Thomaston, CT

You will have a wonderful coleus garden!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice selection Ronnie, I love Cleome too. Do you know how long seeds last? I have some from 2 summers ago when I grew some from Auntie. I guess I could just toss them and give it a go. :)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I'm not positive Celeste but I think after two years they would still be OK. I know cleomes are ones you can keep in the fridge. They like the cold period. I'm hoping the ones I bought will be a deep purple.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Im going to try them anyway! :)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Just looked, I have Cherry Queen & Violette Queen, plus a bag of mixed seeds of the Cleome.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

The hummers love them!

Those Cherry Queen Cleome look GORGEOUS. Need to break my promise not to buy more seeds!

Just put out 2 jugs of DWARF Monarda 'petite wonder' and I'm hoping that they won't fall over like the Jacob Kline. I really need to get out there and organize the jugs (on paper too). This miserable sinus infection is really slowing me down....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Teri I have some Cherry queen left if you want them.

Thanks so much for your offer, Ronnie. I'd love to have some seed if you can spare them. Would you like some Salvia Patens Blue Angel in return??

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Sure Teri I'd love some salvia! Thanks!

Ronnie, you have a D Mail for addresses.

Thomaston, CT

Woot, woot! I have finally been able to overwinter dahlias! I checked on them today, & they look perfect....after following all kinds of professional advice & failing, I layered the tubers in damp newspaper, put them in a plastic bucket with another plastic bucket on top, & kept them in my unheated garage.....voila.....

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Congrats!!

That's how I do mine, only after they're wrapped I put them in a black plastic bag. Maybe I'll look at them today and report back.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That's great Marilyn! I just put mine in plastic bags and layer them in a box, keep them in the unheated basement. Are you going to start them early inside or just direct plant them?

Thomaston, CT

I'll start some of them in April & plant them out middle of May...others I'll plant directly because I just have too many....

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Wow, good for you, Marilyn. I've never wintered dahlias successfully, always ended up with gross mush. Finally gave up years ago.

But as to seeds... I started really, really early on a bunch of perennials. So far, so good...

Pic 1 is the set-up in the kitchen window in the city, the 2-4 are the babies. The last is a breath of spring...

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wow - they should be full grown when you plant :)

They look great, Pfg. I notice that you don't have too many of each plant. Do you get your seeds from somewhere where the packets are smaller. I try to swap seeds just for the purpose of having variety without having so many wasted seeds or too many plants. I have found, however, that I can relax and winter sow the excess.

I got a lot of seeds from Deejay's round robin this winter. Others I collected or bought, and added the extras into the robin. I don't plant too many of most of the things I grow since my indoor space is limited and I want variety. I can always divide later on, or do more next year if I want masses of something. Actually this year I have 2nd batches already of Alchemilla Mollis and Dianthus Loveliness, because I know exactly where they're going. They will be smaller and take up less room on my shelves, but still help cover more area outside. I'm hoping that by the time I get in full swing with annuals after we open the house at the end of March, that many of these will be big enough to go outside in shelter. Maybe not right away, but hopefully by the middle of April. Every year is different...

Thomaston, CT

Your babies look wonderful, Pam....lots of work, but you have the varieties you want....

Wait until you see it this year! Even though we were away for so long last summer, lots happened... Fewer bare spots, more variety... At least I hope so!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Pfg your seedlings look great!!

Thanks!

Thomaston, CT

I'm looking forward to seeing your gardens again, Pam.....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Wow my Swallowtail order is here already and the summer hill should be here by tomorrow. Bring on the snow I'm set for the weekend!!

Do you put most of it under lights or out to winter sow, Ronnie?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.