Looking for some red wigglers

Mesa, AZ

My oldest grandson has to do a science project and decided to do composting. He needs to buy 100 red wigglers, any suggestions where they might be purchased?

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Try a sporting goods/tackle shop or WalMart.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I can *highly* recommend Adam Hamilton of Hamilton Organics: hamiltonorganics@gmail.com, 623-523-4528

If you want red wigglers, the local bait shops usually do not carry that type of worm as they are more of a garden/composting worm. Late last year I started vermicomposting and got the worms and the 'Worm Condo' from Adam. He's very helpful and a local small business person trying to make a successful business for himself and his family with his worms. And I have some awesome garden fertilizer happening in the back bedroom!

He also has some called Alabama Jumpers....bet your grandson would like these! Much larger and I guess they jump. He sells them to gardeners with clay soil because the jumpers, being larger, are good for breaking up the soil. Those worms are a bit more pricey than the red wigglers. Good luck.

Phoenix, AZ

Walmarts worms are scrawny and expensive! Very few in each container :(

Mesa, AZ

Thanks all!

Mary - I'll call Adam tomorrow. I have looked at Wally World and a couple bait shops, you are right, they don't seem to carry red wigglers.

Susie

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Adam is out of jumpers and is rebuilding his supply. I'm too impatent so I ordered a small amount from TX. I've got a completely shaded North facing clay bed that I throw my pruning scraps into. A worm resort, so to speak.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wanted to report that the wigglers are fantastic! The soil is light down at least one foot and they have spread about 2 feet in each direction. Highly recommended!

Gilbert, AZ

Fast workers those wigglers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.