Are all ferns invasive?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I planted what I thougt were Boston Ferns in the garden. Never thought of ferns being invasive(never thought), but now I am reading that they can be very invasive. I also have had ferns given to me, and I dug some up by the creek and planted them. I have even already purchased more ferns to plant in my new shade bed areas. I have Japanese Painted ferns, Cinnaman ferns, Macho ferns and a few more I don't know the name of off hand. I was really surprised to read that one gardener found Cinnaman ferns very invasive, it is so beautiful to me. Are there any ferns that are not invasive and how big is the problem with planting ferns in the garden, should they all be left in pots? Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Seedfork
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Most aren't invasive; many are rare and endangered.

Resin

noonamah, Australia

A lot depends on your climate. With enough moisture, shelter from winds and sun, probably most ferns would be invasive. Things like tree ferns and staghorns would be less so because of the way they grow. I have a number that only slow down when it dry and hot. As soon as the rains come they just rocket off. If you've only a small area then it shouldn't be a problem removing excess plants when they start. I personally like the look of ferns a little out of control.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.