12th Annual Groundhog Poll. Will Phil see his shadow?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 87 votes:

Yes, it will be 6 more weeks of winter.
(38 votes, 43%)
Red dot

No, spring is on the way!
(42 votes, 48%)
Red dot

It isn't winter where I live.
(5 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Who is Phil?
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

This is gonna be interesting...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Tied right now. LOL. I had to vote no because of winter not being as cold as it has been in past and the drought we are in. I still have green leaved roses!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Punxatawny Phil is a fickle Pennsylvania furball, chuckl. Only one allowed to dig up roses and flower gardens at will and get clean away with the dirty deed. Tsk, tsk...winter isn't done , but Spring is warming up across the south and promising to be hot and dusty enuff this summer to be hard on plants.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Here in southern Indiana we had a really early spring last year. Our bulbs are up about 4 inches already. I think spring will be early again.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I just broke the tie. I voted spring now.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I voted no, winter is on its way out and spring is around the corner. Thinking positively. And, since I'm not anywhere near Puxta-whatever and we have no groundhogs, that silly superstition doesn't really apply to me.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh well , with the sun shining on occasion , he will see his shadow ,, he saw it last year , and we had the earliest spring ever ,,, Even folklore ain't the same any more ,...Go figure ,,, Goofy weather..... lol

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I think spring will be early. I have starlings and robins here already. The plants are growing and budding. My Hellebores are blooming and beautiful.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

There's always 6 wks. of winter from feb. 2 untl mar. 21 or 22. Count it on your own calendar. luciee {;^)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't know about Phil, but David Austin says it is spring because my rose order is here!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Tied again at 25. LOL. No I didn't vote again, I just took a peek. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I voted yes because though our winters have been a bit milder, March will still come in like a lion.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the story about Infographic Groundhog:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/infographic-all-there-is-to-kn/5218176

I didn't vote yet...

Lake Helen, FL

Groundhogs (woodchucks) and even gophers (ground squirrels) don't live in peninsular Florida. Looks like the gopher tortoises might see their shadows, though.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I don't know about Phil and his shadow, but my daffodils say spring is here! Close up of swollen daffodil buds below. Those will surely open very soon. (FYI, the tiny white flowers are from the adjacent tea olive shrub.)

Edited to add: My daffs agree with David Austin.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2013 1:49 PM

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Phil!?!?!? Phil Connors!?!?!?!?!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I thought it was Collins ? hey,, but then what do I know ? huh?

Heeheeheee, I was just thinking of that movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray. Gosh I love that movie!!

Lake Helen, FL

Well, all the sudden, it dropped to 31° here, ten below what they said we would get. Luckily, I had brought most of the tender plants in (the pineapple sage was way big).

Lake Helen, FL

Lemon marmalade

Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine
-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I voted yes, but I meant NO!! It's supposed to snow here tomorrow.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Feb will feel like it should be March- Texas Santa Anas were blowing when i leftthe state, too dry too early this year- we still wont have to wait for April til Spring sneaks in the door, and yes I have seen 100*+ on April 1, in N Tx...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yesterday I went out shopping in a sleeveless shirt (no jacket), and now here it is 32F and dropping (in the early AM). Like a roller coaster ride. Warm when climbing the hills, cold at the bottom. Repeat. Repeat. Those daffodil buds are still swelling and coloring up, so I still say spring is on, no shadow for Phil.

Gorgeous lemons Reynardine.

When (what day) do we actually consult Phil on this? Anybody know?

Edited to add: Never mind. Today's article on the subject answered that question. Apparently, it's TODAY!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 4:55 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

21st. or 23rd?

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 8:54 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Okay so it is like day after tomorrow ,,, lol See today's article ... Time joke ,oh well

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 10:47 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This just in.

Phil did not see his shadow! Spring is ON!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Happy dance!!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I knew my daffodils, Reynardine's lemons, and David Austin couldn't all be wrong.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I think Puxatawney Phil may be favoring the South in his "prediction" this year. We have started seeing tiny frogs and lizards the past week or so...but our weather has been a rollercoaster this year. We had 81 high/68 low and a couple days later it was 55 for the high and 34 for the low temp....the Japanese Magnolias are in full bloom, and I have hyacinths and daffodils up. The daylilies are breaking dormancy as are the ornamental grasses and brugmansias....poor plants are as confused as we are...grin

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I think that Phil plans to move South for the Winter.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yesterday I was out for a walk in the neighborhood when I was shocked to see several azalea bushes in full bloom several doors down. Needed a camera to record that one. Maybe on my next walk. Probably not today as it looks like rain.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pic of Groundhog Day by nightfall. (The day was sunny and high around 40 F.)

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

lol, greenbrain,

Well, in all fairness, Phil wouldn't be likely to see his shadow in all that - but your point is well made. It doesn't look very much like spring.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

As to Phil favoring the South...our low last night was 47 and today it is 69 and sunny with a breeze....sounds like Spring to me....but the plants and I have been fooled before....in 2010 we had a freak snow in February.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

The "Groundhog Day" movie played all day, February 2nd. And, I DID watch it!!!!

NED, "THE HEAD!!!"

Anybody besides me notice all the plastic surgery Andie McDowell has had since that movie? And, I actually LIKED her naturally wavy hair. Now, it's bone straight for the Loreal Preference commercials....

Oh, well...

The Groundhog hasn't changed...

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I expect L'oreal wanted her hair that way. I never did know if her hair was naturally wavy or not. Most of us had perms back in the day LOL. I guess that dates me =)

I'm guessing that maybe when we see her with straight hair, it's just temporarily straightened; ya know, like with a blow dryer and brush, maybe? I've seen her in more recent photos with her curly hair. I've always been a big fan of hers, and always loved her curly hair.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.