Maybe 1 or two comments (O.K. I couldn't help myself! Ha!)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Jan 31, 2013 7:51 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:59 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is the first time I brought up the Garden Showcase. I'll have to agree with you, way to many pictures in an album. They maybe should have thought about a limit before they started this.
I won't be back.
Bernie

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We (there's no "they" :-) have looked at the albums and agree - we're going to limit the number of photos. We probably should have anticipated that some people would be really enthusiastic and go a little overboard (*smile*) but we didn't. That's part of why it's still classified as a "Beta" feature.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank-you

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I have no doubt this forum has potential Terry!

Let's not give up yet Bernie! They, we, ours, mine, I and we,......are all working at something, and It's true that good things take time! Thank you. Take a peek in on occasion anyway... I'm gonna'!

all the best,
David

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I don't understand why anyone wants to load all the pictures in their file at one time either, but I don't think I need to understand their reasons. If I want to look at three of the photos I can, but if I would like to look at every single one then I could. Dave's Garden has loads of information, but Gosh it doesn't mean I have to try and read it all in one day. What would be the purpose of putting a limit on the number or photos one could post other than a server overload? Would it be a daily limit, a weekly limit, a yearly limit. Would the same information be loaded just over a longer period of time. If a person wanted to look at all the photos in zone 10 they could, but they are not compelled to do so. It may be people have time now in the cold weather to upload photos and later they just might be busy gardening.
I posted over two hundred pictures over a period of several days, but I do not feel many people looked at them, only a few people I know in the forums would be interested. I never expected anyone to try and look at all of them at once, why would they? I have enjoyed looking at the albums, so unless there is a limit as to how many photos Dave's Garden can support I see no need for a limit, but then a limit would also be fine.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Seedfork,
I'll bet the more you comment on others albums, your comments will come back your way. You have many amazing pics, and it has been a short time. You will be seen! I will look more at your pics in time.

The reason(s) for limiting an album to a maximum number of photos is mainly to prevent reader "fatigue" (for lack of a better word) and to help us as submitters when we take multiple nearly identical shots trying to get "the" shot. Having a limit can help us resist the urge to just upload all of them. And choosing the best shots make sure the album has a lot of variety and interest for those who view our albums :-)

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

So the problem is an editing problem? How about a one or two shot limit of any one itme per album?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes! edit your pictures.

Your very favorite is goona be everybody elses too...

seedfork, it isn't possible for us to limit the number of shots of a particular view of your album (that would require some pretty high-powered photo recognition software.) So we just limit the total number of photos in an album. Members have other places they can store/show off their photos, such as their personal journal or diary. Some people's personal limit on how many is "enough" is different than others.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I was not thinking of "us" or technology, I was just thinking of just asking members to edit themselves. I guess I am thinking along the wrong lines.
But I do love the "other places" and use the garden diary feature nearly every day, maybe we just need to direct more people there.It might be that the one at a time photo adding there is causing people not to post more photos in that section.I had someone ask me about that just the other day, and I thought the new sight would be just the place for them, maybe not.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I enjoyed making mine. I wanted to make it pretty, so only used 9 photos from the past. They were already cropped and resized, so it was easy. I like that I can delete and reup them from time to time. It kind of reminds me of Pinterest boards.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

I really do enjoy looking at all the lovely gardens, but I'm finding now that I'm not looking much at albums that have more than 25-50 photos posted. And I am also not seeing many albums with "tagged photos". A photo may show an absolutely beautiful garden border, but without tags or any kind of comments, I sometimes don't recognize some of the plants. Just saying ....

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

PAgirl60, I would like to see more tagged photos myself. I have tried tagging some of my plants in the photos, and it is not as easy as it seems. Hosta, for example was more complictated that I expected it to me. I guess a lot of us need to be educated on proper plant names and how to enter them. I just suspect this is the reason so few plants have actually been tagged. I have found you can enter photos quickly, you can't tag the plants without spending a lot of time doing so. Have you been able to tag most of your plants? If so send me some lessons.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Got to agree with you, Seedfork. Tagging plants is definately not as easy as it seems. I'm not all that familiar with proper plant names either. All of us I'm sure know what a "rose" is, but there are seemingly countless varieties when you pull up the menu for roses. Maybe the way around this problem is to list a catagory that just says "rose" and in your own comments list what type of rose it is. Even something like "Peace Rose" as a personal comment would give some information. What do you think?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, I think it would be really nice if we could just type in the name Rose "Pink Peace" and the computer would print the correct scientific name in for us along with the common name.
However I may be pressing technology a little to far again. But I am sure we would get a whole bunch more tagged photos!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.