Need help identifying an amaryllis!

Inniswold, LA(Zone 9a)

I've dug a bunch of amaryllis out of the garden (about 200) and I've always wondered exactly what type I have. They come in two colors and have always been planted together. They look exactly the same before they bloom. I live in Baton Rouge and they tend to bloom June and July. I have a few that are absolutely paint-can huge!

Thumbnail by Bo_Getty Thumbnail by Bo_Getty Thumbnail by Bo_Getty Thumbnail by Bo_Getty
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I was thinking crinum:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/c514/crinum-ellen-bosanquet.aspx
They are beautiful.

Marcia

This message was edited Jan 25, 2013 12:33 PM

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

The flowers and foliage do look like Crinum rather than Hippeastrum or Amaryllis. Beautiful blooms !!!! That last picture looks like the Milk and Wine hybrid.

Inniswold, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, I'd say Crinum for sure. Thanks!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

May I ask where did you get the white striped ones??? I've been looking to get a few of those myself. Thanks you !!!

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

Hello Everyone
I'm new to DG & this is my first post.
I love amaryllis & crinum. I am trying to fill my garden with them.
Beautiful flowers Bo-Getty! Lucky you!
Roly, I saw some white & red stripe crinum bulbs at Lowes.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Roly, I saw some at Costco today also, but in your zone they would have been available much earlier.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I'll have to check my Lowes and see if they are still available.

Inniswold, LA(Zone 9a)

Roly, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. All of my crinums are hand-me-downs. I transplanted a bunch of white ones recently an I have some small ones left over. I can mail a few to you if you'd like.

Bo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.