paph hsinying x charlesworthii

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I have a paph hsinying x charlesworthii. It was gifted to me. I cannot find any info about it. I have had it for about a year and now has a bloom. There is no name after Hsinying on the tag. Any info would be welcome

TIA

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Here is a picture

Thumbnail by ted5310
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

There appears to be several "charlesworthii" types, probably all grown the same way.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a Hsinying cross http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7539683 and http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9048836 If the tag says it is Hsinying then there is no addition to that name. They are warm growing and easy to bloom. Indirect light. Paphs don't like old bark so make sure you repot every couple of years. I let mine dry slightly between waterings or make sure the the bark is very new if watering frequently. I think the charlesworthii parent lends a strapier, thinner leaf to the plant. My cross has more compact, wider leaves.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ah! Thanks for the repotting suggestion! It was something I was going to ask Bree (the Paph queen) about.

I actually was not knowledgeable about this until a few years ago when one of my Paphs won an award. The AOS judge held up the plant and gave this dissertation about how my plant looked so great because I had it in fresh medium and that was important with Paphs.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

This plant sits in a spot when it's outside, which is most of the year, that gets dappled morning sun and filtered sun the rest of the day. I have not re-potted yet, but can tell it will need to be redone after this bloom. Laura, you said "If the tag says it is Hsinying then there is no addition to that name." Yet I cannot find a pic of just Paph Hsinying. Oh well, just have to wait for the flower to open

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 8:29 PM

north coast nsw, Australia

Hsinying is common in alot of cross Paphs, the maudie types. Theres Hsinying citron, web, carlos, ruby, gold, alien franz, glory, web, ruby web. Does it have any other name after the Hsinying?

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

The entire tag reads, Paph Hsinying x charlesworthii '#7'

I dont know just plain Hsinying.

I see what you mean, Ted. It sounds like something got lost name-wise on that tag. There are two most common ones used for hybridizing. One that I know is citron. I couldn't recall the name of the other but remembered it started with "m" so I Googled and up popped majakun. That's the other common one. No way to know without DNA testing for sure, I guess. :)

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, when it blooms I'll post a photo and maybe it will become obvious to someone. The bud keeps getting redder...we shall see.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Here is the promised pic. It's rounder, if you will, fuller? than most paphs I have seen. Looks really good

Thumbnail by ted5310

wow nice! almost looks like just a Charlesworthii but the side petals.

It looks nothing like my Paph. Hsinying. Very pretty, Ted.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Look at it this year

Thumbnail by ted5310

wow 2 flowers.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Look at them now

Thumbnail by ted5310

love it. xxxx

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.