CLOSED: Wanted: Shades of orange - - - in trade, I offer Texas Star

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wanted: Shades of orange

Mimi has asked me to work up an orange garden this year, with a wide variety of shades and nuances of the colour orange. She calls me the other half of her orange - - how can I refuse her request, eh?

Please help me with trades of seeds, bulbs, roots, tubers of plants that flower in shades of orange.

I will be offering many species in this quest, beginning with the red flower Texas Star Hibiscus (H. coccineus) -aka- Swamp Mallow and/or Freckle Face Blackberry Lily (Belamcanda chinesis 'Freckle Face'), which blooms in orange.

Both species are perennials and fairly hardy to low temps if properly pruned back in mid-Fall and blanketed with at least 4" of mulch.

Texas Star may give up a bloom or two in the first year, depending on how moist you keep its well-draining bed. It will do very well in a big pot until it outgrows it. A photo of my TSH was selected as the bloom in the Dec. 18, 2012 Picture of the Day » http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-12-18. The seeds offered are from that very same TSH plant, harvested the 2nd week of that same month.

Blackberry lily waits until almost the end of the summer of its 2nd year to give up colour other than its green foliage. Thereafter, however, you will have a bloom and seed machine that produces from mid-June until the end of Fall. I harvested seeds for drying and storing from July through November.

The minimum number of seeds in a traded packet will be 36. Your choice of species. You can can have some of each.

Smaller count packets of the same species can be obtained by mailing an envelope with 2 forever stamps inside - - loose - - with a mailing label or note with your name and address written upon it. For non-trades, the offers are for packets of 12 seeds - - to accommodate folks who do not have anything orange to trade but who want seeds for these two outstanding plants. Please do not try to negotiate for more. Yes, if you what 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, I will fulfill such a request.

If you are participating in the DG address exchange, here's where to find my snail mail addy »
                  http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If not, send a DMail mentioning this offer together with your postal mailing addy.

Thanks for your consideration and future assistance!

A T B T Y !         ~         ŁazŁo    ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Are you interested in a California Poppy, E. californica, 'Mikado'?
One of the photos in DG Plant Files is clearly orange.

However, ones I grew from Botanical Interests looked more red-orange like the photo below.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15865/

These would be from Hazzards, purchased Sept 2010 and not yet grown out.
Hazzards called them:

Large single bloom, orange with scarlet reverse
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Hazwho&Product_Code=E8465&Category_Code=#.UPolwqyq9Mg

But their photo had more red-orange than orange in it.

I also have some commercial Zinnias left from Hazzard's 2010:
'Benary Giant' Orange

Misc trades from recent years, small qtys:

Orange Butterfly Milkweed from diamond 9192002
'Cosmic Orange' Cosmos from tcs1366 2010 HWPS
other orange Cosmos
African Marigold orange over 5' tall Wildflowers
Orange French Marigold
Marigold petite - orange from Risingcreek Comm 2011 eBay
Mexican Sunflower 'Torch' - Tithonia rotundifolia Botanical Interests 2010 year end sale

Let me know what you would like.

I don't have any Nasturtiums, but I have seen Nasturtiums expressing an entire "rainbow of oranges".

I don't really need seeds back in return, but if you do, I would ask for
Wild Petunia, Ruellia nudiflora or
Lions Ear, Leonotis leonurus or
Lions Tail, Leonotis menthifolia

Got any cute violas or petunias?

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 10:04 PM

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Don, I sent you a dmail. ALSO, don't forget Ixora - a shrub with beautiful orange 'balls' of bloom!!!

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a partial pack of seeds from Swallowtail called Dahila 'Orange Shades. ' If you want, I'll get that right out to you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Let me know if any of these appealed to you:

California Poppy 'Mikado'
'Benary Giant' Orange Zinnia

Orange Butterfly Milkweed
'Cosmic Orange' Cosmos
other orange Cosmos
African Marigold orange over 5' tall
Orange French Marigold
Marigold petite - orange
Mexican Sunflower 'Torch' - Tithonia rotundifolia

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Gotta go through my stash but I'm pretty sure I can help you out with orange of some sort as I love orange. I'll pm you in a few days.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I can send you some Tithonia seeds. Can't get much more orange than that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.